VOGONS

Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 208, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can manually run dosdrv.exe in your "do not allow..." DOS box.
V.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I wouldn't expect that to ever work. VDMSound works as a part of Windows. You cut off Windows from the DOS prompt, VDMSound is gone.

Reply 141 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr You can manually run dosdrv.exe in your "do not allow..." DOS box.

Hrmm. I wouldn't have expected that to work. Does it work because the lines from DOS-to-Windows are still open 1-way? If that's the case, it would seem that joystick input wouldn't work.

Reply 142 of 208, by Nil Einne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

IIRC, the earlier SoundBlasters usually defaulted to IRQ 5, later models defaulted to 7 (I think this started with one of the SoundBlaster Pro models).

This is actually the inverse of what happened. Originally, the SBs used IRQ 7 but then switched over to IRQ 5 to avoid a possible conflict. Can't remember when but was either one of the SB Pros or SB16. Many games stuck with IRQ7 as default but then again many new ones did switch to IRQ5 default especially for the SB16 series.

Reply 143 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nil Einne This is actually the inverse of what happened. Originally, the SBs used IRQ 7 but then switched over to IRQ 5 to avoid a possible conflict.

*sigh*
Do you have a source for this? This story is like a long, boring Badminton match...it just keeps going back and forth...

Reply 144 of 208, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hrmm. I wouldn't have expected that to work. Does it work because the lines from DOS-to-Windows are still open 1-way? If that's the case, it would seem that joystick input wouldn't work.

Actually "do not allow..." should be irrelevant under NT/2k/XP, I don't even know *where* in the .pif it appears.

Anyway, Windows 3.x/9x set up an int2f (IIRC) handler via which "DOS" programs could talk to/detect Windows, e.g. access long file names, VxD stuff, etc. Setting the option removed (methinks) this int2f handler. But under NT this would have 0 effect on VDMSound etc. which uses the VDD "fault/trap" (illegal opcode methinks again) mechanism, not int2f.

Bla. Me goes to sleep now.

V.

Reply 145 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr Actually "do not allow..." should be irrelevant under NT/2k/XP, I don't even know *where* in the .pif it appears.

*starts giggling*

Bla. Me goes to sleep now.

I think you need the sleep, Vlad. Never forget to read the title of the thread.

Reply 146 of 208, by Cal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Just found this handy utility and tried it out on a few games. Installation was not a problem at all.

Duke Nukem 3D - Sound FX - no sound with Soundblaster, Music distorted with Soundblaster, but very good with MPU401 compatible
Magic Carpet - Music okay with soundblaster, USB mouse went mad in game, so couldn't activate any mouse clicks to check sound FX
Magic Carpet II - MPU401 compatible sound, Soundblaster compatible FX - worked a treat!

One small thing, not sure if it is related to this or individual games (ran out of time to check) but don't be tempted to switch windows from running game, caused some lovely sound, video corruptions followed by blue screens.

Cal

Reply 147 of 208, by Captain_Corcoran

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,
I own a via motherboard with onboard sound.
This works fine as for windows products, but whenever I want to play dos games, I don't hear anything, although most games tell me, they do detect a sound blaster card. I tried everything (e.g. checking the bios, installing every shitty dos-driver available on the via-websites including Viafsm) but it just won't work. Now I thought that maybe your program might help me. I followed the instructions on top of this page but the install option doesn't seem to work. It simply sais "Befehl oder Dateiname nicht gefunden" (it cannot detect the comand or filename) about 14 times and then tells me "installation complete". Afterwards, when I try the dosdrv.bat I get the message: unable to instantiate emulation module "VDMServicesProvider". Does anyone have a solution to that problem?

Reply 148 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Captain_Corcoran I own a via motherboard with onboard sound.

As you have discovered, onboard audio support for DOS is poor.

Now I thought that maybe your program might help me.

Just remember, it's an Alpha. Works great for a few people, partial success for many, not much success at all for others.

I followed the instructions on top of this page but the install option doesn't seem to work. It simply sais "Befehl oder Dateiname nicht gefunden" (it cannot detect the comand or filename) about 14 times and then tells me "installation complete".

Is this the VCREDIST.EXE installation or the VDMSound install?

Afterwards, when I try the dosdrv.bat I get the message: unable to instantiate emulation module "VDMServicesProvider".

If there is a long list of failures during an install, there is no point in attempting to run the program.

Reply 149 of 208, by Captain_Corcoran

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is the vdm installation, that refuses to work...
Vcredist works fine as far as I can see: installs a few dll's and then tells me to reboot.
Is there a way to manually put the stuff from the installation file where it belongs? And what should there appear instead of those "not found" messages?
You know, there are times, when I wish I had my good old 486 DX2 66Mhz back, packed with great operating systems like DOS 6.2 or Win3.1... things were so much easier those days! Well, not really easier, but you DID have more control over what your PC should or shouldn't do!

Corcoran

Reply 150 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Captain_Corcoran Is there a way to manually put the stuff from the installation file where it belongs?

*pause*
If you right-click on the INSTALL.BAT file and choose EDIT, you will see that it doesn't move any files anywhere, what it does it register the DLL files into your registry.

And what should there appear instead of those "not found" messages?

Not much really, just a registration success message, then the warning to edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

As far as I can tell, 1 of 2 things is happening:

1) Regsvr32.exe is missing or in the wrong place (should be in your Windows "SYSTEM" directory).

2) You are running the INSTALL.BAT at a location separate from the VDMSound files.

Remember that the files need to be placed in C:\VDMSOUND before you run the INSTALL.BAT, then you have to add
SET VDMSPATH=C:\VDMSOUND
to your AUTOEXEC.BAT, and then you need to shutdown and reboot before attempting to start DOSDRV.BAT.

Reply 151 of 208, by jpast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My computer runs Windows 98. It has 550MB on one drive and 2 GB on another, a Pentium Processor, 32 MB of RAM and has an Ad Lib Compatible (OPL2). I installed VCREDIST and rebooted just like the directions say. Then I unzipped VDMSound and ran the INSTALL.BAT and it told me to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT. When i double clicked on the AUTOEXEC.BAT this error came up...
"C:\>C:\WINDOWS\ESSCFG.EXE /A:220 /I:5 /D:1 /B:330 /M:2 /J:E

Warning! Found conflict on IRQ channel 5.

Failed to set new IRQ channel.

C:\>C:\WINDOWS\ESSVOL.EXE /V:8 /L:8 /W:8 /M:0 /C:8 /S:8 /A:8

C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:NCI000 /V

C:\>
C:\>PATH C:\PAGEMGR;E:\ACRODOS"

I can't type anything into it and have no idea what to do. On top of that my sound isn't working now, I'm guessing from whatever is wrong. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

Reply 152 of 208, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are not supposed to double-click on autoexec.bat; right-click and choose "Edit", add the line, then go to "File" and "Save" (make a copy of the file first, in case you make a mistake).

V.

jpast wrote:

When i double clicked on the AUTOEXEC.BAT this error came up...

Reply 153 of 208, by jpast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The part that I am stuck on is that the directions say that after I run DOSDRV.BAT I have to "change directory to where the game is and run the game/application" I'm not totally sure what that means so I copied the VDMSound folder to my UW folder of where I copied all the files off the CD and ran the installation of UW to. UW still wouldn't work with sound and I even reinstalled it selecting Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro, but neither could get UW to run with sound. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO???? Where did I go wrong? Someone please let me know how I can get UW to run with sound and music!!!
**Just as a reminder and to avoid confusion my computer has...
- Windows 98
- 550 MB on drive C
- 32 MB of RAM
- Ad Lib Compatible (OPL2)
^^That's my soundcard I guess (says Ad Lib Compatible (OPL2) under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in the the Device Manager tab in the System folder of my Control Panel) ^^

Reply 154 of 208, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK,

I assume you have already made the indicated modifications to AUTOEXEC.BAT and rebooted.

Now, open a DOS box; change directory to the VDMSound directory, e.g.:

cd "C:\Program files\VDMSound"

run DOSDRV:

dosdrv.bat

now change directory to the game, let's say:

cd C:\Games\UW

run the configuration program (to detect the [emulated] sound hardware):

setup.exe

(or install or whatever it is called), thenr un the game:

uw.exe

Cheers,
V.

jpast wrote:

The part that I am stuck on is that the directions say that after

Reply 155 of 208, by jpast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is pretty frustrating but I refuse to give up...I followed you directions and opened up DOS and changed the directory to c:\vdmsound and I ran dosdrv. The I changed the directory to c:\uw and ran the install. I installed the game for Sound Blaster Pro with the prot 220, IRQ 7 and DMA 1. After that I changed the directory to c:\uw\uw and ran UINSTALL to configure the sound. I selected Sound Blaster Pro and this time it said it has located the sound card and then said "Installation complete. Type 'UW' to play." So I typed in UW and the game ran but there was still no sound or music. Then I ran another program called UWSOUND and when I did that this message came up:

UW Sound
Configures Underworld for non default soundcards
You do not currently have any sound devices installed
If you wish to add sound devices, run INSTALL

I have no idea what to do now. I followed your directions correctly (you be the judge of that) and after running UINSTALL it said that it has located the Sound Blaster Pro, but then I ran UWSOUND and that error came up. Either way, Ultima Underworld still runs without sound and music. Please help me out and let me know what I need to do to have the sound and music.

Reply 156 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jpast I have no idea what to do now. I followed your directions correctly (you be the judge of that) and after running UINSTALL it said that it has located the Sound Blaster Pro, but then I ran UWSOUND and that error came up. Either way, Ultima Underworld still runs without sound and music. Please help me out and let me know what I need to do to have the sound and music.

jpast, you did catch the note that the Win9x version is Alpha, right? At the risk of being a wet blanket, the Win9x Alpha only "sort of" works on my Win98SE install. The AdLib/FM music usually works, but the digital audio frequently fails...

Reply 157 of 208, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is to report that while evaluating VMware workstation 4.02, creating a Win9x guest OS where the soundcard works properly, but no support exists for sound in dos
games (the emulated sound adapter is SB Ensoniq
AudioPCI) I tried VDMSound alpha for Win9x in there.

Gameplay is generally a bit slow, but this might depend on my P4 1500 CPU + 256 Mb RAM, I don't know.

Sound works fine for Indy #3, Day of the Tentacle, Indy #4 aka Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island #2,
no sound I was able to set up in Monkey Island #1 and Loom,
while The Dig and Sam'n'max crash or freeze.

Reply 158 of 208, by Dunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - just a quick note to say that I've been trying to run VDMSound98 on my Sony VAIO PCG-F250....

It uses a neomagic 256av soundcard, and as there's no DOS support for this (unless anyone else knows better) I thought that VDMSound would be the way to go!

It doesn't really work *well* - there's a constant very short (1/4 sec) white noise, which repeats every 1/2 sec. Underneath that noise you can hear the actual sound (using KGen98 Genesis Emulator) running along fine. Even using DOS's EDIT command I get that sound. When at a normal DOS prompt, no sound, no problem 😀

Tried dropping the sound rate down to 22050 in vdms.ini, to no avail - the same white noise, just at double the pitch - the underlying correct music was also at double pitch/speed too.

No big deal, but I thought you might like to know that it don't work too well with this soundcard. Windows/Directsound are all fine though.

All running the default options, from a fresh install, no errors. Hope that helps you in your development.

<edit>

I might add that even with this rather slow celly 366, the speed was excellent, no slowdown.

</edit>

D.

Reply 159 of 208, by DG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I would appreciate a lot if you could help me, I've tried several things on my computer and I still can't get my sound card to work under DOS. I've also formatted my pc in order to try to make things work correctly, but I still couldn't get it.

I have windows98SE, and the sound works corretctly when I am using the windows enviroment. But if I try to run any program on DOS (DOS under windows98), the sound fails (no sound at all). The program still runs, but I can't get no sound.

I've tried several programs, and I couldn't get the sound to work on any of them.

I've tried what you mentioned on your first post, but I it didn't work for me. I've created the Vdmsound folder on c:, unzipped the files on this folder, added this line to autoexec.bat
SET VDMSPATH=C:\VDMSOUND
I've clicked on install.bat and restarted my computer. Later I've double clicked on dosdrv that appear "suposly loaded" (I guess succefuly), but I still have no sound.

Could you help me?

My sound card is Sound Blaster Live! 5.1