VOGONS

Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 206, by Podden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to speak again aubout the sound problem from Reeka. I've tested it with the including SETSOUND Prgram of Archimedean Dynasty. I get the squeeling & hissing with the SB Audigy 2 ZS, Avance ALS 4000, Nvidia Soundstorm and C-Media CMI 8738. This can't be a Problem of the 16-Bit channel of the Soundblaster Audigy. Someone check this please because Archimedean Dynasty with 8-Bit Sound is very boring and my SB Audigy doesn't support the SB 16 Emulation. I hope, someone can help me out.

Sorry for my bad English 😊

Reply 181 of 206, by gameman007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to get this to work with no luck. I have an athalon900 with 786 ram,Soundblaster16 PCI Sound card and an ATI Radeon7000 vid. card running on Win98 se. I'ver installed Vcredist then installed VDMsound (got successful message). Trying to play The Dame Was Loaded. I typed C:\Dame in vmdsound dosdrv file. Then I clicked on the game install, it installed but couldn't find card (vdmsound?). Sound test didn't work, total silence. Do I have to do anything else? Does VDMsound load automatically or do I have to do something else?
Copy of Autoexec:

ET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
Set vdmspath=c:\vdmsound
SET Path=%Path%;"C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\"
\BIN\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Reply 183 of 206, by Richard C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the files listed at the beginning of this thread and tried to install them on Windows ME. Unfortunately, it fails on the very first step: installing vcredist.exe.

I downloaded vcredist.exe and double-clicked it to install, but nothing happens. Double-clicking it doesn't launch anything, or if it does, it quits itself so quickly it appears to do nothing. The only visual cue I get is the mouse turns from the pointer to the pointer-with-hourglass, then back to pointer again. Right-clicking it and selecting "Open" does the same thing. Trying to launch it from the MS-DOS Prompt does pauses for one to two seconds then quits, giving me back my DOS prompt.

Is that installer package incompatible with Windows ME?

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite 1805 laptop, 802Mhz Celeron, 128 megabytes RAM, running Windows ME (4.9.3000).

Reply 184 of 206, by Arcades_Ambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I don't know if somebody respond this question before. Please help me: I have a PIII 500mhz / 128 mb/ hercules 32mb PROPHET/ c-media audio (inboard)/ Windows ME. ¿What I need to do to make work SOUND of x-com apocalypse ver win 95?

The setup RECOGNIZE the sound card, but (in tactical view) when raid a ufo or building, the program crashes.

Please respond to my e-mail too.

Thanks.

Thus it's!

Reply 185 of 206, by Dustie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey, seems there's somebody doing a piece of great job on this VDMsound thing...

i'm a newborn in here, and there's just too much info for me to read it all... so tell me one thing pls -
is there a way to make this VDMSound work on an AC97 integrated sound-crap in WinME ???

thank you for all the answers.

... we must finish this before SEELE has time to act.

Reply 186 of 206, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

WinME? Yes :

Beginner's guide to VDMSound v2.10

Now...What OS are you running? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- If you are running Windows […]
Show full quote

Now...What OS are you running?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are running Windows 95, 98, 98SE, or ME...

Unfortunately, these operating systems are based on DOS and aren't exactly the most stable environment to run hardware emulation.

There is an Alpha version, created for the purpose of testing out the viability of running VDMSound within these operating systems.
It's complicated and it's an Alpha...so don't expect anywhere near the performance of the NT version of VDMSound and support is near non-existant (due in no small part to the OS in which it is run). This guide will not deal with Alpha version.

AC97 integrated sound-crap? Yes : VDMSound doesn't care what kind of sound-crap you have.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 187 of 206, by Tricob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any ideas? I've got Win98 SE, 700 MHz PC, 512 RAM, and I'm running Wolfenstein 3-D, Spear Of Destiny, "Spear: Resurrection", "Spear: End Of Destiny", and Duke Nukem II. The SB sounds work fine, but the adlib output is *much* slower than it should be. And it seems to get slower with each layer of sound that it plays at one time.

Reply 189 of 206, by Tricob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*Except* that the Adlib sound and music played pefectly before I updated from the first Alpha of VDMSound.

If software is the case though, I have DirectX 8, not DirectX 9. Would upgrading it help?

Reply 190 of 206, by Mikail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Three questions:
Has this utility been updated since the first post? (if so, when was it last updated?)
Does the utility have a project page?
Is the utility currently still under development?

Reply 191 of 206, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mikail wrote:
Three questions: Has this utility been updated since the first post? (if so, when was it last updated?) Does the utility have a […]
Show full quote

Three questions:
Has this utility been updated since the first post? (if so, when was it last updated?)
Does the utility have a project page?

No
Yes, http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/
No

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 192 of 206, by Tricob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quote from Page 3:

someone42 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm the one who's currently developing this win9x port. I'm glad to see it is working for some people. I'm currentl […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone, I'm the one who's currently developing this win9x port. I'm glad to see it is working for some people. I'm currently recoding the entire thing since the version you all have is unstable as hell. I'll post updates here from now on.

For now, attached is another version that should be more reliable. Follow the installation instructions at the start of this thread and simply replace the files in vdmsound(win9x)'s directory with those in the attached file.

Note that you do *not* need to run vxdsboom.exe before you close the dos box, vxdsound.vxd should detect the closing dos box and unload vdmsound for you.

Any bug reports/errors would be appreciated.

Reply 193 of 206, by akkad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 😳

Btw. People, this thing really works! I am now playing old Dune 2 on my 1,3Ghz - Win98 system with VIA sound-crap !!! Unbelieveable ! 🤣

Reply 195 of 206, by maglinvinn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i recieved this error:

an error was encountered while attempted to load and display tip of the day
last error reported by windows:
0x00000002 - The system cannot find the file specified

the initialization proecess will now continue...

but that seems like that might be what you're talking about 'ignoring the tip of the day'... easy to do, considiering there isn't one. haha.

blarg.

Reply 196 of 206, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume that this project (specifically the Win9x version) is dead now. Is the source for the latest version up somewhere? If not, I urge you to release it. I do see that the source is there for Alpha 1 and 2, but Alpha 3 is the latest and there is no source posted in the first post.