VOGONS

Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 208, by caceresmartin2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanx for the fast reply!

Did you change to your VDMSound directory before starting VDMSound? Presuming you did, what messages did you see appear on the command line? Did you see a "Tip of the Day" error window pop up?

yes, i change to the vdmsound directory.
When i execute dosdrv.bat i see on screen:
c:\vdmsound> vxdsload
c:\vdmsound> vxdsinit
and then appear the pop up about the tip of the day........
....the initialization process will now continue.

Note that Ms.Pac-Em will default to speaker sound (and stay that way) if it doesn't detect a SoundBlaster when it's first run. To be sure, go into the options portion of the menu and try to switch it from "PC Speaker" to "SoundBlaster" each time.

About the game i'm running is not "Ms.Pac-Em". I was refering to pinball dream 2.

That's going to depend on the circumstances. I'm guessing that you're referring to VDMSound here; in most bases you can leave it set to the default (SoundBlaster 16). Occasionally, you might need to override it with another choice.

the question is wich soundblaster i have to select in setsound, soundblaster 16?

Have you tried using the "real-mode" DOS driver?

by the way i try with the dos driver (thanx for the tip) and it worked for pinball dreams 2, but no luck with pinball dream and with 3dvcr.

Reply 121 of 208, by rfman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After I load vdmsound, I change to the game directorie, do I configured the soundcard to 220 7 1 , save settings, and when I start the game I get the following message:

An exception occured in thread -1040169 (DMA Transfer Manager).

0xc0000005 - (no exception description is available)
Fault location: 0x00653fb7
Parameters: 0x00000000 0xd301bb23

It asks me if I want to continue
I press yes but nothing happens, and the game doesn't start.

The game I'm trying to play is Xcom Apocalypse

Reply 122 of 208, by rfman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the game running, it started but no sound.
I quit the game and found the following error:

Vxdsload

This program has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down.

Details>>

VXDSLOAD caused an exception c06d007eH in module ATL.DLL at 015f:5f3e9873.
Registers:
EAX=0063fb8a CS=015f EIP=5f3e9873 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=0063fb4e EBP=0063fb7e
ECX=cb8c4cf0 DS=0167 ESI=5f3ea98c FS=5af7
EDX=817bc1e0 ES=0167 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 45 f8 e9 ff 00 00 00 57 ff 76 08 ff 15 dc a0
Stack dump:
00000000 5f3e0000 817bc38c 00000024 5f3ea98c 5f3ed634 5f3ea930 00000001 5f3eae50 00000000 00000000 00000485 0063fc36 5f3e8b2e 000000a8 0063fb5a

What am I doing wrong?

Reply 123 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by caceresmartin2000 and then appear the pop up about the tip of the day........
....the initialization process will now continue.

So it appears to initialize properly...

the question is wich soundblaster i have to select in setsound, soundblaster 16?

IOW, you mean for the game. Ok. SoundBlaster16 is the best choice. If it doesn't work, try the next model down (SoundBlaster Pro II), etc... until you hit the most basic SoundBlaster (different setup programs identify it differently...generally it will just identified as "SoundBlaster").

...but no luck with pinball dream and with 3dvcr.

Have you confirmed that the program can run properly in silence? Run SETSOUND, press a key other than "Y", it should allow you to manually choose a soundcard. Choose "No Sound" and save the setting. Does it work in silence? BTW, do you have EMS memory enabled?

Reply 124 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by rfman ...when I start the game I get the following message: An exception occured in thread -1040169 (DMA T […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by rfman ...when I start the game I get the following message:

An exception occured in thread -1040169 (DMA Transfer Manager).

0xc0000005 - (no exception description is available)
Fault location: 0x00653fb7
Parameters: 0x00000000 0xd301bb23

It asks me if I want to continue
I press yes but nothing happens, and the game doesn't start.

That's what I call a "catastrophic failure", especially in Win9x. Don't expect something to work after a failure like that.

The game I'm trying to play is Xcom Apocalypse

*ugh* That again. I'm not sure if anyone has got it working properly. Getting it work at all is a goal:
showthread.php?threadid=40&highlight=Apocalypse
showthread.php?threadid=19&highlight=Apocalypse
showthread.php?threadid=1106&highlight=Apocalypse
showthread.php?threadid=1351&highlight=Apocalypse
showthread.php?threadid=1375&highlight=Apocalypse
...and, of course, this very thread (the previous page, actually).

Originally posted by rfman I quit the game and found the following error: Vxdsload This program has performed an illegal opera […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by rfman I quit the game and found the following error:

Vxdsload

This program has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down.

Details>>

VXDSLOAD caused an exception c06d007eH in module ATL.DLL at 015f:5f3e9873.

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe nothing. Have you tried any other title? Also, try reading through this thread from the first page. You may find hints... I presume you installed VCREDIST.EXE, etc...

Reply 125 of 208, by caceresmartin2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you confirmed that the program can run properly in silence? Run SETSOUND, press a key other than "Y", it should allow you to manually choose a soundcard. Choose "No Sound" and save the setting. Does it work in silence? BTW, do you have EMS memory enabled?

yes, both games run correctly (even if a choose a wrong sound card).

yes, I have EMS enabled (I had to solve that problem to run 3dvcr in DOS).
i added the following lines to my config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Right now I don't remember if I Have to load emm386 manually after I restart in ms-dos mode (I think not).

Reply 126 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by caceresmartin2000 yes, both games run correctly (even if a choose a wrong sound card).

yes, I have EMS enabled

For "Pinball Dreams", in all honesty, I can only recommend the Amiga original. That was probably the most poorly executed port of all their Pinball games. We had tested it pretty thoroughly here.

You might also try it with DosBox using the tips I gave, but remember, PD is temperamental program.

As for 3dVCR Pinball, you may be out of luck. Can't get it working with sound in XP either.

Reply 127 of 208, by HearGames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is SETSOUND? I can't find it in my VDMSound directory.

-HearGames

(BTW, I've managed to get some rather pleasant sounding MIDI to work in some games, but no sound effects. Will keep trying.)

Reply 128 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HearGames What is SETSOUND? I can't find it in my VDMSound directory.

*blinks*
That's because it's not part of VDMSound. It's one of the six-kajillion different DOS-game sound setup programs out there. I was referring to a specific setup program for a specific game from a post by caceresmartin2000.

Reply 129 of 208, by caceresmartin2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might also try it with DosBox using the tips I gave, but remember, PD is temperamental program.

Pinball dreams worked with sound using dosbox, but it runs too slow.
btw, what tips are you talking about?

Reply 130 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
caceresmartin2000 wrote:

Pinball dreams worked with sound using dosbox, but it runs too slow.

You tried adjust the cycles using the function keys? I could hazard a guess what # of cycles might be good for you, except I have no idea what is the speed of your processor.

btw, what tips are you talking about?

The link to the thread discussing "Pinball Dreams". I gave a fairly detailed description of what I had to do to get PD running properly on DosBox. However, since Dosbox 0.58 came out, these tips are no longer needed. I checked DosBox 0.58 with PinballDreams and found that it works properly with the SoundBlaster option in PD. "SoundBlaster v2" seemed to give the best audio.

Having said all that, the audio still isn't as clean as the Amiga version.

Reply 131 of 208, by caceresmartin2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut
You tried adjust the cycles using the function keys? I could hazard a guess what # of cycles might be good for you, except I have no idea what is the speed of your processor.

I adjusted the cycles (modifing dosbox.conf) and now PD runs correctly, but I don't know how to do that with the function keys.

I checked DosBox 0.58 with PinballDreams and found that it works properly with the SoundBlaster option in PD. "SoundBlaster v2" seemed to give the best audio.

In my case SB2 is the only one that works, but it doesn't sound bad.

Reply 132 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by caceresmartin2000 I adjusted the cycles (modifing dosbox.conf) and now PD runs correctly, but I don't know how to do that with the function keys.

From the the README:
CTRL-F11 Slowdown emulation.
CTRL-F12 Speedup emulation.

If you leave the command prompt as a window, you can actually see the number of cycles change in the 2nd window as you press CTRL + F11 or F12.

In my case SB2 is the only one that works, but it doesn't sound bad.

SB2="SoundBlaster v2"

The MOD player built into the game (plays all of the music), is inferior to that of the Amiga original, it's not very "clean". IOW, that's how it really sounds normally.

Reply 134 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mr_Miguel When I open VCREDIST.EXE, nothing happens. Is there anyway I could, for example, install manually? I can open the file with WinRAR.

No, it's not a RAR file. If it's not "opening" then odds are that you have a corrupted file. Try downloading and running it again.

If you can't get a workable file from the appointed locations get it straight from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … &NoWebContent=1

Grab the VC6RedistSetup_enu.exe file (the other two are the German and Japanese versions).

When you download and run that file, it will ask for a location, direct it to your Desktop (or some other easy-to-find location). That's where it will place the VCREDIST.EXE file. Run that file and it will install itself automatically.

If it still doesn't install properly, then your OS may be hosed.

Reply 135 of 208, by Mr_Miguel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have solved my problem now. And even tough it's not a RAR file, I can open it with WinRAR, because it's an extraction file, right? Anyway, I opened the exe with WinRAR, extracted it's contents, right-clicked the INI and installed it. After that, I have downloaded the updates, and now it works just fine. Oh, by the way the VDMSound 2.0.4 update for 2k/NT/XP also works with my Windows ME! Just overwrite all the files except VDDLoader.dll

Regards
Miguel Martins

Reply 137 of 208, by rechapit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there:

First of all things, I have to say, this is a gift to all DOS games lovers who don’t have SB compatible sound cards.

I’d been trying to play some of the dos games I have with vdmsound and I’ve been compiling a little list of the ones working and those that don’t.

The ones that work:

Warcraft 2

Maniac mansion: Day of the tentacle.

F22: lighting II

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GMidi and OPL2/OPL3 works but SB doesn’t:

Castle of Dr. Brain, Leisure suit Larry 1(vga) and 5: they all hang on a black screen when trying to use SB.

Rise of the triad: it crashes and the video goes all garbled when trying to initialize SB.

Duke nukem 3D: trying to initialize SB gives the following exception:

DOS/4GW Professional error (2001): exception 0Eh (page fault) at 207:8420C786_
TSF32: prev_tsf32 6594ent
SS 25F DS 20F ES 20F FS 0 GS 87
EAX 80808080 EBX FFFFFF2F ECX 40 EDX 80808080
ESI 10 EDI FFF2FFF1 EBP 7E0 ESP 7C4
CS:IP 207:8420C786 ID 0E COD 6 FLG 10002--+---------
CS= 207, USE32, page granular, limit FFFFFFFF, base 0, acc CFFB
SS= 25F, USE16, byte granular, limit 7FF, base 30FE0, acc F3
DS= 20F, USE32, page granular, limit FFFFFFFF, base 0, acc CFF3
ES= 20F, USE32, page granular, limit FFFFFFFF, base 0, acc CFF3
FS= 0, USE16, byte granular, limit 0, base 0, acc 0
GS= 87, USE16, byte granular, limit FFFF, base 238F0, acc F3
CR0: unavailable¦ ( ) Reverse Stereo
Crash address (unrelocated) = 1:00019786
Spawn Error: Error 0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ones that don’t work:

Star trek: 25th anniversary: the game works, but the sound and music are completely garbled. (No bigie, game works just fine in DOSBOX)

Tomb raider: Doesn’t detect any sound card, trying to manually select SB doesn’t do any good (no crashes, just no sound at all).

I used the default settings in VDMS.ini

hope you found this usefull

one thing: is it possible to load VDMSound automaticaly when you open a dosbox?

I ask because those games like "Startrek TNG: a final unity" that need the "Do not allow dos progams to detect windows" option checked to run. Problem is: if you check that option Vdmsound cannot run.

Reply 138 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mr_Miguel I have solved my problem now. And even tough it's not a RAR file, I can open it with WinRAR, because it's an extraction file, right?

It's a self-extracting executable archive. If it didn't run yet had valid files inside, it's possible that only the executable portion was corrupted.

...and now it works just fine.

Well, that's a good thing anyway.

Reply 139 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by rechapit one thing: is it possible to load VDMSound automaticaly when you open a dosbox?

I ask because those games like "Startrek TNG: a final unity" that need the "Do not allow dos progams to detect windows" option checked to run. Problem is: if you check that option Vdmsound cannot run.

I wouldn't expect that to ever work. VDMSound works as a part of Windows. You cut off Windows from the DOS prompt, VDMSound is gone.