VOGONS

First post, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to raise a rather peculiuar problem, and see if anyone knows anything about it, and whether VDMsound can do anything about it.

It happens in a game called Detroit (although it may also happen in other games). What happens is, when you hold down the mouse button, the button which the cursor is over gets pressed many times very quickly (like 5 times a second). I presume this is because the game is polling the mouse at a very fast rate, and every time it detects the mouse button being down, it records it as a click, rather stupidly.

Presumably this either didn't happen, or the 'polling rate' was slower on older computers? I have no idea why it would be so much faster now (faster CPU speed?), but what is needed is a way to slow down this polling rate. Does anyone have any ideas? Something like Mo'Slo would, as always, make the game go all jerky.

== Jez ==

Reply 4 of 10, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a PS2 mouse. Could you reinstall Detroit, and check what happens when you click on, say, a +/- button to increase or decrease a value? On my system, it will increase/decrease at an incredibly fast speed. That also happens for any kind of toggle, so it's very hard to stop on a certain option.

== Jez ==

Reply 5 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, those do go up and down rather quickly, but you can use the RMB to make it go in lesser increments, if memory serves. As far as toggles are concerned, that's just weird.

I'll check it out if I've got time later tonight. No promises, though. I've got a terrible cold.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 10, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

Yes, those do go up and down rather quickly, but you can use the RMB to make it go in lesser increments, if memory serves.

Apparently memory doesn't serve 😀 You can't use the right mouse button to go up in lesser increments, at least not on MY version of Detroit anyway (came in a 'SierraOriginals' package). The RMB simply exits out of the current screen. Sometimes, it's the only way to do so.

== Jez ==

Reply 9 of 10, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh 😀 The middle mouse button, of course, isn't supported by Detroit, as they weren't around when it was invented 😀 I've just downloaded the abandonware version, and it's identical to my version. Still the ridiculously fast clicks. Sigh.

== Jez ==