VOGONS

Speedset won't work

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'm using an AMD Duron 1200MHz, KT133A Chipset, GF256, 384MB RAM, SCC-1, MT-32, SBLive5.1, VDMSound + Update + Launcher and Windows XP.

I always have sound timing problems especially in sierra games (Police Quest 1VGA, 2,...) and Lucasfilm Games (MI2).
I read about setting speedset to -2 but it won't work. Nothing changed the music always plays to slow (or slightly changes speed behavior)no matter wether I choose GM or MT-32 for Midi Playback. At Speedset - 3 everything runs MUCH too fast! Even Pitset at +4 or higher won't work!!
Any suggestions?Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try DosBox. No guarantees it'll work, but if the games DO work with it, there should be no problem with sound speed.

Vlad, you really do need to reduce granularity in the thing. Even to one point (and making what is "2" now be "20" if you're so concerned about making floats instead of ints and adding floating-point support, bla bla).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, please bug me starting on Friday. I'll be busy wiring the stupid house this weekend, so I guess taking a break fixing SPEEDEST will be a welcome break (assuming that I manage to get down from the attic without taking the entire house down with me).

V.

Reply 4 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

I'd gladly do it myself (I already changed it so that you would use -65535 through 65535 instead of -100 through 100) but it won't compile! I've already PM'd you about it, but updating to the last Service Pack (5) didn't fix it.

Nah, that won't do it. It's a little bit more complicated than that (you have to skip a fractional number of interrupts to get the effect, and right now it does integers so even if you change 100 to 1000000 still you'll never reach any speed between 1x and 2x other than 1x and 2x themselves).

I'll try to do this myself tomorrow.

V.