VOGONS

First post, by Dedas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run the old (but great) X-COM Terror from the deep, but I've run into some problems.
1. Didn't get ANY midi to work in Win98 DOS.
Solution: VDMS program did the job in XP, thanx!

2. It runs way too fast in XP, uah, and the mouse pointer is choppy (you heard that one before).
Solution:
Trying to slow the game down with moslo...didn't work.
Trying to slow the game down with AT-Slow...didn't work either 🙁
Trying with Speedset...DOS/4GW crashes with error; Stack overflow. Tried different settings of speedset but nothing works. What am I to do? I tried DOS but my soundcard doesn't want to play midi. Strange, because it's a Sound Blaster...
Any ideas, anyone?

Reply 1 of 3, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SPEEDSET doesn't, to my knowledge, work well (if at all) in protected mode. Does the game also crash if you use a neutral value for SPEEDSET (i.e. SPEEDSET 0.0)? Maybe the game just doesn't like it when it's too slowed down. In any case you may be better off waiting for DosBox to support p-mode + DPMI properly, since it's very hard to slow down the kind of speedups you are experiencing.

V.

Reply 2 of 3, by Dedas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your fast answer!
Yes, I have tried using speedset in neutral, and it works. But then it's no good to me 😁.
So it must be as you say, the game doesn't like speeddowns/ups in protected mode. Another proof of that is when Im running AT-slow in DOS, the game works fine. But then I have no MIDI... what a dilemma!
Suppose I can wait for the Dosbox support as you mentioned 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by Loki-Jormunr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have the same problem (i didn't think about reading here first, thought it was kinda rare 😒 ) , i WOULD use dosbox , if only it wasn't so BLOODY slow with every game!
how can i speed dosbox up ?

**For æser Odin,for alvar Dåin,
Dvalin for dvergar.Allsvinn dei
for jotnar skar,eg riste sjølv sume**

thp01.gif secret_of_monkey_island_2_2.jpg
Lokasenna