VOGONS

First post, by wissa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, the problem I'm having with almost all of my DOS-games -and the one I'm trying to fix with speedset- is that even though they do not run with a consistently wrong speed, they undergo occassional speed-distortions. This is evident from the midi-musics briefly changing tempo, usually speeding up. The overall effect of this is that the music sounds annoyingly as it were under a constant state of totter. Now, is speedset the right tool to fix a problem like this? If not, what could you suggest as a possible solution for the issue?

Now for the specific problem. I'm having the aforementioned speed-quirks with Gabriel Knight 1, and I'm trying to use Speedset to fix them. This is how I operate. I copied speedset.dll and speedset.exe from my VDMSound installation folder into the folder where I have the game (D:\games\GKnight). After running the game executable (sierra.exe) once with VDMS (default settings), the VDMS shortcut was created. I go to Properties > Advanced > DOS Environment of this file and write 'speedset -10' into the autoexec.bat field. When I try to 'run with VDMS' the sierra.exe file, I get the following error, as overshadowed in the subject of this thread:

Loading 'VDDLoader.dll'...
DOS/4GW Professional Fatal error: Transfer stack overflow

Am I using the tool somehow wrong? Any suggestions as to how I'd get this working?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 1, by wissa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh yeah, here are some technical details of my system:
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X NFORCE2 LAN DDR400
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2000Mhz THOROUGHBRED
Ram: 2X 256Mb DDR 333MHz PC-2700
Soundcard: Soundblaster Live with the (unofficial) kX drivers
Windows XP (with Service Pack 1 installed)
VDMSound version: 2.1.0
Speedset version: 1.0.1 (the one that came with the VDMS)