VOGONS

Common searches

What happened

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What happened yesterday the forum was rearranged but no annoucement

Reply 1 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Clues in this thread:
First! in the new sound forum

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 38, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I am not finished with the details yet, hence no announcement. The last weeks, there have been more changes. Although I guess the last batch was the most obvious.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 38, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

I am not finished with the details yet, hence no announcement. The last weeks, there have been more changes. Although I guess the last batch was the most obvious.

was very obvious, caught me off guard, hit refreash on the main page and bam what happened 🤣

Reply 6 of 38, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Shit happened bro...

I don't care for it as of posting this, looks like more work will be done. The site seem to messy right now.
Reminds me of toms hardware

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-01-20, 13:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 38, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Jade Falcon wrote:

Shot happened bro...

I don't care for it as of posting this, looks like more work will be done. The site seem to messy right now.
Reminds me of tons hardware

There won't be any huge changes (as in new forums)
However I might shift around the categories a bit. (so higher or lower on the page)
Do you have any suggestions as what you would like to see different to reduce the "mess" ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 38, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

Do you have any suggestions as what you would like to see different to reduce the "mess" ?

Maybe "autoclose" the threads after some time (i.e.: 1 year)? That would avoid necroposting.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 10 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:
Qbix wrote:

Maybe "autoclose" the threads after some time (i.e.: 1 year)? That would avoid necroposting.

bad idea , "necroposting" isn't that frequent here

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I live in "View Active Topics", and only go to the Board Index when I create a new topic or to "View Unanswered Posts", so no big deal here.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 38, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Qbix wrote:

Other than tidying up everything up, no. I would like to see an HTML 1/2 version or have some way to access the site from older systems even it just to read posts.
I'm betting that would never happen, for many good reasons.

Reply 13 of 38, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
Qbix wrote:

Other than tidying up everything up, no. I would like to see an HTML 1/2 version or have some way to access the site from older systems even it just to read posts.
I'm betting that would never happen, for many good reasons.

http://lynx.browser.org/

Lynx is a fully-featured World Wide Web (WWW) client for users running cursor-addressable, character-cell display devices (e.g., vt100 terminals, vt100 emulators running on PCs or Macs, or any other character-cell display). It will display Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) documents containing links to files on the local system, as well as files on remote systems running http, gopher, ftp, wais, nntp, finger, or cso/ph/qi servers, and services accessible via logins to telnet, tn3270 or rlogin accounts (see URL Schemes Supported by Lynx). Current versions of Lynx run on Unix, VMS, Windows3.x/9x/NT and later, 386DOS and OS/2 EMX.

Reply 14 of 38, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also:
https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/ … cient-browsers/
https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/ … g-proxy-update/
http://www.tenox.net/out/#wrp

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 38, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^How do try this out and is it even available, I guess im not understanding how to use this. Is there a downloadable installer? cause I don't see any download links.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 16 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

I would like to humbly suggest the Windows and DOS forums be moved alongside Marvin, as it's basically also about old rigs and drivers a lot of the time (especially when looking at problems with old games that might actually be related to hardware in some way) but they appear to be kinda separated when on the main page.

keropi wrote:

bad idea , "necroposting" isn't that frequent here

^and this.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 38, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Qbix wrote:

I would like to humbly suggest the Windows and DOS forums be moved alongside Marvin, as it's basically also about old rigs and drivers a lot of the time (especially when looking at problems with old games that might actually be related to hardware in some way) but they appear to be kinda separated when on the main page.

We really can't move Windows and DOS any lower.

First of all, they're the whole reason VOGONS was started. The forum was first created to host those forums. So get used to seeing them in the top spot in the index, even if they have less traffic these days. Until the end of time, or VOGONS, whichever comes first. 😁

Second of all, it's in the name: "Very Old Games On New Systems". Those forums are to support all the methods users use to make old games work on new systems, although mostly ignoring emulation and virtual machines. How to get stuff to run natively, typically. All the hacks, patches, registry fixes, etc. etc.

They are NOT closely related to Marvin. If anyone is posting threads in them that are asking questions about how to run a DOS game on their 486, those threads need to be MOVED. Previously, the only place for them was Marvin (general), but now Marvin has subforums.

"Well can't the descriptions be better clarified" - that's up to Qbix. We've been hesitant to reword the original descriptions. Additional sentences modifying the intent have been added in the past, however. And IIRC there are warnings, etc. warning users not to post in them if they're more interested in Marvin.

"Well, then move Marvin higher" - I won't rule it out, but probably not gonna happen because emulation is still a huge reason for this forums' existence. I mean, I'm a MAMEDEV and Qbix is a DOSBox-Dev, for crying out loud.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 38, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:
Qbix wrote:

What if I need information or someone else's past experience with a particular piece of hardware?

Things are difficult enough to find at times already without a... "burn the books" banish all litrature attitude!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks