Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣, i cnt load glidos with vdos32

when i open my 0.5 vdos32 and i select Load program -> Glidos.exe

it says that-> Not a LE Format file....

and

when i check the Vdos32 setting in Game settings nothing happens
just i click sTart and nothing

anyone knows..... i think many..... (i am crapy)

Reply 1 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's sort of the wrong way around. You don't use VDos32 to run Glidos. Glidos uses VDos32 to run the DOS game. The best way to work it is to put VDos32.exe in the Glidos folder (probably C:\Program Files\Glidos), and within Glidos's settings check the box that says "Use VDos32" (its in the DOS settings section).

Reply 2 of 13, by fragment_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah! it worked! when i put it ine glidos folder!

But its a problem 🙁

i use vista 32bit ultimate and it says that error when i open ->

errrfs9.th.jpg

so help me plz[/img]

Reply 5 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah right. Sorry, its early days for VDos32. v0.5 supports only TR1 and Redguard. I also have Descent II mostly working, so may get to Blood before too long.

What happens if you try running Blood with Glidos alone?

Reply 8 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, sure. Mostly I want to get the games supported by Glidos working first, but I may then look at other 32bit games.

The biggest issue though is 64bit Windows. I still don't know for certain whether it will be possible to make VDos32 work on those platforms.

Reply 10 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. Doubtful. I'm sure if he did Open Source it (The glide wrappers he uses are already open source) he may get a few loonies who would want to work on it but it's not likely. It's a complete waste of time. AFAICS, the only reasons to use GliDOS:

1. You absolutely postively need to use the texture packs for TR1. (This of course is worth it but if Paul doesn't come up with a good solution for 64bit machines then it will not be compatible for long).

2. You have an ancient machine that cannot run games in DosBox as well as games in GliDOS at sufficent speeds (We're talking 3+ year old processors here).

The big thing with Vista is that finally a 64bit OS is there for home users (Welll...at least as far as the Avg joe is concerned....we all know Linux has been here forever), finally decent 64bit drivers are available for Vista. Unfornately (or fortunately) 64bit Windows kills NTVDM so Paul has to reinvent the wheel that's already been invented years prior. (DosBox or Qemu)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do see the point, that just as 64bit is killing ntvdm, machines have become fast enough that emulation is fast enough. I'm not exactly sure what the point of VDos32 is myself, but its throwing up some really interesting problems to solve.

Its not really reinventing the wheel. Reinventing the wheel would have been to develop another emulator, and I certainly wouldn't have been interested in doing that. What I like about developing VDos32 is the weird stunts I have to pull to trick Windows into actually running the DOS program. I like projects that force you to think in an entirely different way. I don't know if VDos32 is going to be a lot of use to anyone in the long term, but its too much fun to give up just at the moment.

I have half an idea for a trick to run realmode code. Can't quite make it work. Probably its impossible, but wouldn't that be something.

Reply 12 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe have a look at the addressing in x86_64 mode to see if you
find a feasible way to use it for x86 addressing. This might be a thing
that can't be done without some sort of code scanning/translation.