VOGONS

Read error with 1.38

Topic actions

First post, by destiser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,

I've installed glidos 1.38, vdmsound and TR1.

when i want to launch tr1, I get an error that says: 'Read error' nothing more, nothin less. The TR1 cd is in the drive.

what can i do with this issue?

Win xp pro
T7100 with ATI Mob HD2600
16:10 screen

Reply 1 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the DOS client complaining that it can't find the server, or vice versa.

What method did you use to install TR1?

Reply 2 of 6, by destiser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've copied the tombraid folder of the installation on my desktop to my notebook 😀 i did this so i could keep my savings :p

gonna install it later. I'll tell you then.

the tr1 cd (and installer) is the one that comes with 'the lara croft tombraider collection' pack with the first 6 TR games.

probably UK version cause I'm from belgium. I thaught that installer only copied the files of the tombraid folder to the HD.

when i installed it on desktop, i clicked 'I use glidos' option and also 'configure my soundcard (with IRQ7)'

Reply 4 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know why people use Glidos and then ignore my installation instructions. The preconfigured archive is by far the best way.

I'd imagine the advanced installer will do a perfect job, but it adds in one more variable in the eqation.

In any case, I expect the problem is something like bad VESA support on the lap top. I bet VDos32 would make it work. Give that a try.

Reply 5 of 6, by destiser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've red the installation tut on the glidos site, and with that, it didn't work so good.

First of all, the 3 sites were you are supposed to download the dgvoodoo version of tomb.exe are unavailable or hasn't got the file anymore.

But, no problem for me, I reinstall tombraider and choose the option: 'use dgvoodoo' so the dgvoodoo tomb.exe is included in install

I run glidos ans choose psvoodoo instead of openglide. I start tr1 and everything goes well, the fmv starts quite nice, but when the menu want's to load i get a 'read faillure' error.

is this normal?

I've downloaded then vdos32 to use it with glidos and it worked fine.
(but only if i choose psvoodoo, with openglide i get 'read error')

Reply 6 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please!!!!!! Just use the preconfigured archive. You run it; its done.

To run with OpenGlide, you do need to make sure you use the graphics drivers from the manufacturer's website, rather than the ones from Microsoft (probably from nVidia or ATI).