VOGONS

Glidos VS Linux

Topic actions

First post, by intro5pect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I feel I've searched sufficiently to ask this without angering anyone, hopefully.

Is there any hope to running GliDos in linux (specifically Ubuntu 8.04)?

I've tried with Wine and CrossOver with no luck. Crashes during activation oddly, and if that is skipped it just fails to launch any games either way.

If this has been discussed and I failed to find it just link me and i'll be thankful.

Using DOSbox I can run blood fine, using Glidos in XP It runs the high res, but closes out randomly, So I figured I'd give it a try in Ubuntu since I use it more than anything now...

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'd probably be better off trying VDOS32 than GliDOS but I'm not sure how much of an emulator VDOS32 actually is so you'll likely need Windows to use this. (Not wine)

GliDOS requires Windows (not wine) so the only way to use it in Linux would be in Vmware with 3D Acceleration like Vmware 6.5.

There's really no reason to use Blood with GliDOS. Your not really going to get anything out of it by doing so. Just run it in DOSBox as it should be run.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by intro5pect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I suppose I'll try VMWare 6.5 then. I just know when I ran Blood in Glidos, pointing it to the 3DFX executable, it was a lot cleaner, high res, etc.

I have no performance issues in DOSbox thankfully... but I would really like to run Carmageddon as well and although I
haven't tried it yet I haven't read anything promising about running it through DOSbox. Suppose it's worth a try before setting up a whole virtual machine.

Reply 3 of 14, by intro5pect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So with the prior knowledge that there might be performance issues, what would you / anyone suggest would be the quickest way to try and get the 3dfx Carmageddon to run in Dosbox.

It seems like there are several ways to go about it. I am a complete n00b to these CVS builds, but they look promising.

Reply 4 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

There's really no reason to use Blood with GliDOS. Your not really going to get anything out of it by doing so. Just run it in DOSBox as it should be run.

Actually there is a slight advantage to using Glidos for Blood. The Blood 3dfx port is very odd in that it generates lots of one pixel wide triangles, which has the visual effect of giving linear interpolation in only one dimension. Glidos special cases Blood, stitching all the little triangles into big ones, and by that means allowing bilinear interpolation.

Reply 5 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
intro5pect wrote:

So with the prior knowledge that there might be performance issues, what would you / anyone suggest would be the quickest way to try and get the 3dfx Carmageddon to run in Dosbox.

It seems like there are several ways to go about it. I am a complete n00b to these CVS builds, but they look promising.

It might be best to ask gulikoza about that. I don't have Carmageddon so I've never tested it. I suppose you could use the Windows ver of DOSBox (gulikoza's build) with Wine and then you may be able to play it.

or the Windows ver of DOSBox in Vmware 6.5.

I'm not aware of an Linux build of DOSBox with Glide support but that would be the best solution if there is one.

Reply 6 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Actually there is a slight advantage to using Glidos for Blood. The Blood 3dfx port is very odd in that it generates lots of one pixel wide triangles, which has the visual effect of giving linear interpolation in only one dimension. Glidos special cases Blood, stitching all the little triangles into big ones, and by that means allowing bilinear interpolation.

I suppose so but I doubt it would be worth the trouble to run Blood using GliDOS using NTVDM in Windows XP using Vmware in Linux when you could just run it in the Linux build of DOSBox.

As for high resolution the DOS ver of Blood can go all the way up to 2048x1536 if you wish (not in DOSBox of course...I think your limited to a max of 1280X1024 there) so it's just as high res as GliDOS is. (Except for the mentioned limitation) Also using GliDOS would be faster at high resolutions.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-09-28, 00:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like yhkwongs Linux build has Glide support:
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html

It's old but so is DOSBox 0.72. I think Gulikoza has improved Glide support in his build since then so I'm unsure how well Glide works in yhkwongs build or even if it ever worked at all in Linux.

Reply 9 of 14, by intro5pect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Gulikoza, I shall attempt that next.

I already attempted using VMware with no luck, so hopefully I'll get somewhere with your build.

Reply 10 of 14, by intro5pect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok , not to sound like an utter complete n00b here , but synaptics lists that I have some SDL 1.2 stuff installed , but I'm getting :

configure: error: *** SDL version 1.2.0 not found

Any suggestions on possibly a quick sudo apt-get install ___ solution to fix that?

Installed the dev files, and fixed that and now the make is halting with:

source='callback.cpp' object='callback.o' libtool=no \
DEPDIR=.deps depmode=none /bin/bash ../../depcomp \
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../include -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -c -o callback.o callback.cpp
../../depcomp: line 566: exec: g++: not found
make[4]: *** [callback.o] Error 127
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/rames/cvsDosbox/dosbox/src/cpu'

Assuming I need G++ compiler...I'll try that for now ..any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Reply 11 of 14, by intro5pect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Absolutely sorry 😢 for the garbage above, I really shouldn't attempt things with an empty stomach, I forgot I had re-installed Ubuntu and didn't have things like the SDL dev, and G++, but with all THAT re-installed it runs for a while then I receive:

i386.cpp: In function ‘float MT32Emu::iir_filter_sse(float, float*, float*)’:
i386.cpp:142: error: unknown register name ‘xmm3’ in ‘asm’
i386.cpp:142: error: unknown register name ‘xmm2’ in ‘asm’
i386.cpp:142: error: unknown register name ‘xmm1’ in ‘asm’
make[3]: *** [i386.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rames/cvsDosbox/dosbox/src/gui'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

On this one I actually am clueless.

Reply 12 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

remove the mt32 stuff if you don't need it

Reply 13 of 14, by intro5pect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not entirely sure what MT32 is (if I need it) or how to remove it and get this install to work.

Sucks to be a newbie.

Reply 14 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's something gulikoza incorporated, maybe check if there are some defines
guarding that code or so.