VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robalt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Having just purchased the 4in1 TR pack I installed and played TR1. Not bad but damn ugly so thanks to teh interweb I came across an easy installer version and also Joytokey. I set up my own (user) key bindings first in TR then set up JTK.

I uninstalled the disc version, then tried the easy installer version. Better but still no classic sounds. Still able to map my own keys. After a bit more searching came across the sublime Glidos (and the texture packs and the full sounds and music) - I'm in love and almost about to buy.

However - when I go to change the user key bindings in the game menu, as soon as I hit the key I want to bind, the game freezes. It is still running and task manager shows the game as responding, but it is locked. Can't do a thing other than exit and close via task manager.

So 2 out of 3 versions have allowed me to bind the keys, but not the glidos version. I followed the download and install as directed, and used all the files provided in the order listed. I'm using XP sp3 and the game and sounds play spot on.

Is this a limitation of the demo version? Or have I screwed up somewhere?

Other than that tho, top marks all round to the guys and gals on this project it really is something else. Never imagined TR could look this stunning even with a swirly logo.

Regards Rob

Reply 1 of 2, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet it's VDos32 that's locking up. Try unchecking the "Use VDos32" option in Glidos's configuration just while you set up the keys.

You might find that TR wont run without VDos32. If so you could try running it under DOSBox. Once you have the keys set up, you can return to Glidos.

If you have no luck, you could post your SETTINGS.DAT file as an attachment and tell me the key bindings you want. Then I could try making the settings here, and send the file back to you... although the only ways I can think of at the moment are those I've mentioned.

Reply 2 of 2, by robalt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, spot on - it seems Vdos was indeed locking it up. I unticked the vdos engine just ran the program that way. By switching between the different modes, and JtK, have managed to get everything configured. By way of reward an unlock key has been duly purchased this morning. Never thought an old game like TR could look this good.

Cheers

Rob