VOGONS

Common searches

Glidos Rocks!

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

This is to counterbalance all the complaints and whining. I got GLIDOS 6 weeks ago. I paid my ten bucks with trepidation, anticipating frustration. And indeed, I did have to diddle about to make it work, and to unlock it, but it's great! I'm replaying all the parts of tr1 and trub, and seeing all the rich detail and gorgeous color. (why in hell did they put it there in '96, when we all had 486s?) And the sound, my heavens. I just got out of theMines and into the hatchery, and there's this throbbing heartbeat that reverberates right down to my toes - was never there before. It's just wild.
And another thing. Ive downloaded and installed DX9, and all new drivers for my video card since then, and it hasn't broken my code. Haven't needed to re-up it yet.
Could it be that all the people whining about GLIDOS are technically incompetent cheapskates? No, too farfetched.
It's a steal at the price, and if a moron like me can make it work on my garbage rig, ANYBODY could.
Hats off to GLIDOS!

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered This is to counterbalance all the complaints and whining.

Oh, darn. I saw the thread and thought maybe Paul had come up with some kind of long dissertation on the properties of rocks within GliDOS.

Long day.

... (why in hell did they put it there in '96, when we all had 486s?)

*heh* Actually, it required a Pentium. They even said that running it on a 486 was possible, but useless.

And the sound, my heavens. I just got out of theMines and into the hatchery, and there's this throbbing heartbeat that reverberates right down to my toes - was never there before. It's just wild.

*heh* Sounds like your old PC was missing it's CD audio cable.

Hats off to GLIDOS!

Yes, Paul certainly pulled off something. AFAIK, nobody else is even attempting this sort of thing.

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Well, actually, the first PC I played TR on was a Cyrix 6486, OC'd to 133mhz. ...It played slow but smooth, and the graphics were good enough to blow my mind at the time.

*heh* That's kind of like me playing the demo of "Destruction Derby 2" on my old 486-DX4-100. The demo refused to run if it didn't see a Pentium, so I removed the processor check from the BAT file and it ran.

Of course, looking back now, I see why they said that it needed a Pentium. The only reason I accepted that poor performance at the time was because I had no other options.