VOGONS

Common searches

Unlock Codes Lost on Shut Down

Topic actions

First post, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to be losing my unlock codes when I shut down. I start up Tomb 1 and I get the spinning logo again. Then I have to do the unlock procedure again. Any ideas? System configuration is in my profile.

Thanks,
Sina

Reply 1 of 21, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The unlock codes are not working now. I removed Glidos from my system, restarted and reinstalled Glidos and did the unlock procedure. I still have the spinning logo. Anyone know what the deal is? System configuration is in my profile.

Thanks,
Sina

Reply 4 of 21, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently my ID is changing. How do I input the correct ID's and how do I keep them from changing. If getting on the net causes them to change, then I am out of luck, because I'm on the net (Internet) all the time.

Thanks,
Sina

Reply 5 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First we need to establish what it happening. How many different IDs are you getting, and under what circumstances?

I don't understand when you say "apparently": you can run the Glidos server and click the GlidosID button to view it. Try that when on the net and off the net.

Reply 6 of 21, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I've done some troubleshooting. The following are the results:

Going on and off the internet is no problem. No hardware has changed.

As for software, the following are the actions and ID's generated:

ID generated with a windows critical update and restart:
GlidosID: E9B1C8B302FC46328AE2CC5645C111EA

ID generated with a windows security update and restart:
GlidosID: AB209F15F5C50F66CF2C8187479C7118

ID generated with just a restart:
GlidosID: 56F4BA4FEC1E62D39D0F25FCEBD6F03F

ID generated with just a shut down and restart:
GlidosID: 6269855FCC457CCBFDCCCB0E9C34716B

Disabled Free Surfer & restart:
GlidosID: 902C43ECD3CC229DB126BAFC3AE3FB9B

Restart only:
GlidosID: 16109A5F962A45F96BD5FB5CC75613DF

Disabled Iomega drive icons and restart:
GlidosID: 5DB7B9B1C7CC54D2CD30DBABE166BFC9

Disabled Iomega start up options and restart:
GlidosID: 50721FEE20FC3E8D80D68374F5E8EA4F

The reason I disabled the above software is because on shut down, I had to manually shut these programs down. I wanted to eliminate them as the problem.

The restart is obviously the common denominator.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Sina

Reply 7 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's just weird. I may have to just give you back your money and give up.

You could try the DispHost.exe file I've attached below

Attachments

• Filename
    disphost.exe
    File size
    132 KiB
    Downloads
    206 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 21, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't give up so easily. I still have a lot of software that starts up that I can disable, unless you're positive it can't be software.
I downloaded the file, but can't try it now as I have to head to work. I will post the results this evening if today isn't caos like most thursdays.

Keep the faith,
Sina

Reply 10 of 21, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the nic numbers are changing each time I restart.

There is an Nvidia nic and a 3com nic built in to my motherboard. The Nvidia isn't in use, as it's for internet connection sharing. The 3 com is connected to my other computer for back up purposes, but is not in use at this time because the monitor is dead. It has been off all this time.

There are 2 icons down on the task bar representing the nics, but they both have red X's, showing they aren't in use. I would love to get rid of these icons when not in use, as they take up real estate on the task bar, but have not figured out how.

So how do I temporarily get rid of the nics? System config is in my profile.

Thanks,
Sina

Reply 11 of 21, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sinafoye wrote:

There are 2 icons down on the task bar representing the nics, but they both have red X's, showing they aren't in use. I would love to get rid of these icons when not in use, as they take up real estate on the task bar, but have not figured out how.

This means that either they are unavailable but not disabled, or disabled. My guess, the former. Go to Network Connections or Device Manager and disable the cards. Theoretically, they should not change IDs when they are disabled. However, why are they changing IDs now? Weird.

If they are ALREADY disabled, then we need to figure out why they are changing IDs. OR - you will have to remove the cards from the system. Or something.

Reply 12 of 21, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I disabled the Nvidia network card in the device manager. Worked great.

If I disable the 3com, will I loose my network settings? I do use it occasionally for backing up to my other computer. It took me a long time to figure out how to get it set up (and I sure I've forgotten half of it). I'd hate to have to go through that again.

Thanks,
Sina

Reply 14 of 21, by sinafoye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it isn't working yet, as the Glidos ID is still changing on restart.

I ran Disphost numerous times. Nic 1 and nic 3 always have the same number and changes on each restart. Nic 2 has a different number which changes each time I run Disphost, even if I haven't restarted. This is true even though I have disabled both nics.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sina

Reply 15 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There must be something very odd happening here. Maybe the NIC is held in CMOS and your battery has gone dead. Do you lose BIOS settings?

Though then you'd expect all zeros or something like that.

Could there be some strange bit of software running at start up?

I really have no idea. Nver heard of anything like this before.

Reply 16 of 21, by Unregistered

User metadata

This is all interesting - but worrying information. Modern PCs are full of peripherals that change the config, be it USB, NIC or WiFi etc.

Though I fully realise it is Glidos's perogative to a) Charge what he likes for his software (no problem with that at all - it's reasonable) and b) to impose whatever registration process he likes.....

However the current process for entering registration keys is on a par with MicroSoft's "Activation" process for XP and Word etc. Surely not a good way to go - and from the rest of this thres, not so reliable.

I realise there are "pirates" out there who begrudge even a measley $10 but wouldn't it be simpler - and avoid the automated unlock service - if Glidos just issued a simple, single registration code? It could still be large and include encrypted reference to the official registered owner etc, should the code get into general circulation, but it would encourage new users (like me) to register, knowing we could just reinstall whenever needed without the attendant worry in this thread.

Quite frankly I'm a little dismayed that software companies make it so hard to simply pay for something and receive it. Period. The rest of the world market place doesn't mind you paying and receiving goods.

Sorry for the *rant* but surely you can see where I'm coming from?

Reply 17 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

However the current process for entering registration keys is on a par with MicroSoft's "Activation" process for XP and Word etc. Surely not a good way to go - and from the rest of this thres, not so reliable.

A little unfair. One user has this problem, and there was one other in the past with a similar problem, for which I found a solution.

I realise there are "pirates" out there who begrudge even a measley but wouldn't it be simpler - and avoid the automated unlock service - if Glidos just issued a simple, single registration code? It could still be large and include encrypted reference to the official registered owner etc, should the code get into general circulation, but it would encourage new users (like me) to register, knowing we could just reinstall whenever needed without the attendant worry in this thread.

Doesn't work. One user who doesn't care that there piracy is traceable allows their reg code on a web page, and number of registrations drop by about 99%. One person has the "attendant worry".

Does the one person still have the attendant worry?

Reply 18 of 21, by Unregistered

User metadata

No problem. As I said you have the right to charge what you like and decree how a registration operates.

It's just so cumbersome and prone to failure. You could incorporate a BIOS checksum to ensure the registered version stays on the motherboard it was set up on. People change motherboards less often than they do peripherals, for example.

>>> "....and number of registrations drop by about 99%"

That almost sounds as if you believe 99% of the people who have registered so far are "crooks".

Reply 19 of 21, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:

That almost sounds as if you believe 99% of the people who have registered so far are "crooks".

Yes it sounds pathetic, but it's not far from the truth. Been there done that. 9 people out of 10 will never register if you give them the choice to not register (read: true shareware). And this for whatever reason: they're lazy, stingy, ungrateful, or potential pirates. Only a small percentage of them are really poor and couldn't afford the equivalent of three packs of cigarettes.