VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I just downloaded GliDOS yesterday (along with VDMSound and the other tools) to see if it would help me run Blood properly on XP and lo and behold, it did. But now, my question is this: How does GliDOS play the sounds in Blood?

I'm not really interested in using the program, because I prefer pixels and voxels to the blurry look, but GliDOS is the only program that allows me to play Blood on XP without the sound stuttering or slowing the game down (VDMSound doesn't help, at least not completely). But I would like to know how it manages to fix the sound problem so amazingly, and if the source code for the sound engine is freely available.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glidos doesn't do anything with the sound, except that it starts VDMSound up. If anything, it has the potential to make the sound worse by pushing the whole system harder.

I don't know. That's quite weird.

Reply 2 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I just downloaded GliDOS yesterday (along with VDMSound and the other tools) to see if it would help me run Blood properly on XP and lo and behold, it did. But now, my question is this: How does GliDOS play the sounds in Blood?

Like GliDOS said, it just starts up VDMSound.

Have you tried following the guide in the Problem Children thread for BUILD games?

Try the basics first, configure it to use 320x200 with "no sound". Confirm that it runs properly. If that works, try it with XP's native SoundBlaster emulation. If that works, try it with VDMSound. If that works, you might try it with NOLFB.COM (depends on what video card you have) at 640x480 resolution. If the audio quality is still too poor, you can try CLI2Nop (so long as you understand that it degrades program stability).

Try following the guide on this and pay close attention to special instructions for XP.

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover I noticed this same behaviour. With GliDOS, Blood ran smoothly, but in plain NTVDM, the sound and video skip.

Eh?? I've never seen this. Of course, I did have my hands full just getting it to run with GliDOS.