VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by argan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, if I could only get blood NOT to crash I would probably buy Glidos...as it is now, I can play a few minutes, but then it suddenly crashes and throws me out to the desktop. In the help section it says to make sure hint boxes from VDMS are not enabled, but I haven't found a way to disable them. How do I do that? Since I figured this is a problem with VDMS, I did not post any system specs.

Reply 3 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata
argan wrote:

What is Reproducibility?

Does the bug/glitch/crash happen everytime, or is it just a random thing? Does the bug/crash seem to happen only when something else is going on? In other words, does the game always crash when it tries to play a certain sound, or when you pick up a certain item? Does it always crash after exactly 5 minutes of gameplay, etc.

Reply 5 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well random crashes don't exist

they always happen for a reason, it might be something that's isn't visible on the outside though.

that's the problem.

So it happends because of something special but not that evident.😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by argan I could just let the game run, without doing anything and it would still crash, I bet.

Don't know if you ever used it; but, if you ever ran Cli2Nop on the game's executable, it will reduce it's overall stability.

Having said that, when all else fails, start over with the basics:

Switch back to the game's original executable (not the 3dfx version). Configure the game to run in 320x200 resolution with "None" for Sound effects and music. Start up the game and let it run through it's demos. Does it run stably?

Reply 8 of 17, by argan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried that, and then it runst perfectly stable. As soon as I try to run it with sound, though, that's when it happens, so it must be something about that.

Typical that its just BLOOD I have so much trouble with.

Reply 9 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:
well random crashes don't exist […]
Show full quote

well random crashes don't exist

they always happen for a reason, it might be something that's isn't visible on the outside though.

that's the problem.

So it happends because of something special but not that evident.😀

Well, sometimes these problems can depend on fine timings between different processes and hardware events within the computer, and these timings in turn can depend to some degree on temperature, signal strengths and the like. I think the behaviour can be random under most definitions of the concept.

Without doubt computers often behave nondeterministically at high levels of abstraction with which we interact with them.

Reply 11 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you would have gotten as far as you have if the hint box was turned on. To find out right-click on any DOS program and select "Run with VDMS". If no hint box appears then you are okay. If one does then it has a check box for disabling itself.

Reply 13 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by argan I have tried that, and then it runst perfectly stable. As soon as I try to run it with sound, though, that's when it happens,

Then you can try running it with XP's native SoundBlaster emulation (at the very lowest quality settings for a basic SoundBlaster). If it still runs stable, try swapping out the normal game executable for the 3dfx version and run that.

FWIW, I found the 3dfx version to be unstable and the graphics improvement to be negligible.

Reply 16 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by argan Nevermind, I found it...and I used it on the setup file, and everything SEEMS TO WORK.

It works, but it's still worse than running it with VDMSound. I'm guessing that you're using VDMSound 2.04 with the GUI launchpad. If so, you should be aware that a bug (as mentioned in the Problem Children thread under the BUILD entry) will cause lock-ups. It's under Common Problem #5.

If you change the game's SB IRQ to 7 and use either "Run with VDMS" (no musical note) or use the "brute force" method mentioned, it should work.