VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Grumpy

User metadata

I've searched through other posts but can't find an answer to this problem. I am running an old Win 98SE with Pentium II, ATI radeon 7000 card with new drivers.

When I put the TR disc in the drive, autorun brings up the install screen. However, I cannot read screen at all, its chopped up into horizontal lines. I saw the same thing on XP. You ask that we install TR before running Glidos -- but I can't even read the installation spec screens! How am I supposed to install TR?
Without installing it, I am able to guess whereabout is the Start Game button, and when I play TR, or load Tomb.exe, the screen goes blank then the system reboots.

If I try to load Glidos and play TR, again the system reboots.

Reply 1 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's why I wrote an installer wizard. There's a link to it on the Glidos web site - the words "installer wizard" are the only ones in red on that entire page. So I'm guessing that when you looked everywhere for an answer to your problem, the page of the web site that explains how to install TR somehow escaped your attention. 😁

Seriously though, I think you have problems. The installer wizard will let you install TR without running into this problem (which, byt the way, is caused by messed up VESA support in your graphics card drivers). If you were running XP, Glidos would then take over VESA during the playing of the game, and you'd be ok. But under W98 Glidos cannot do that.

I'd recommend trying out different graphics drivers versions from ATI's web site, starting with the very latest (if that is not already what you are using).

Reply 2 of 7, by grumpy

User metadata

I ran the installer... the first time several years ago(an older version of Glidos) it asked that the TR cd be in the drive and which drive should it read from etc. However, this installer doesn't care if the TR cd is in the drive or not. It says Glidos Installed even without the CD in the drive... 😒 Then when I run TR through Glidos, it still causes the computer to reboot. At first I thought maybe the new installer just went through all the steps without any input from me. It asks if I approve of the terms of the license and then it says Glidos Installed... seems strange

Reply 4 of 7, by grumpy

User metadata

I've installed them both. Whether I try tomb.exe by itself or run Glidos the system reboots. Actually I'm thinking of buying a GeForce 4 4200, because my graphics card is fairly old. However you mentioned a Vesa support issue as the real problem here. Will replacing the card make any difference? I'm using the newest Dec '04 drivers from ATI.

Reply 5 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm afraid I don't know. I thought both ATI and nVidia had fixed all these problems. The 7000 is old enough that ATI may not be taking it that seriously. Also windows 98 tends not to be that well supported these days, although Glidos works just great on my ATI x800.

I'm sorry. I just don't know. I suppose, if it were me, I'd upgrade to XP rather than a new graphics card.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You said running Tomb Raider or GliDOS reboots your system?

Do any other games cause these problems?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline