VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just today I was trying out my Caves level for the first time in ages, and when I got to the end with the level summary, the game hung. Had to do a three fingered salute to get the task manager up to close it.

I've had this a few times here and there since playing TR with Glidos, from version 1.24 onwards. Thought it was about time I reported it.

Any known fixes?

Reply 1 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any reason to believe it is to do with the version of Glidos? Have you managed to cure the problem by going back to older versions? Could you have updated graphics drivers in the same time frame? What graphics card are you using? ATI cards take a long long time to take the screen shot used as background for the menu and the level stats.

Reply 2 of 8, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oooh, so many questions!

1) Any reason to believe it is to do with the version of Glidos? NO, not yet -- will experiment (though it's a bit of a random bug so might take a while to test!)

2) Could you have updated graphics drivers in the same time frame? YES, several times(Nvidia Unified Driver) -- now using 6.14.10.6693 (66.93)

3) What graphics card are you using? , Geforce 4600 Ti Ultra 128Mb

Reply 4 of 8, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reading this page:

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr1/faq.html

I found that one solution is to disable your extra CD drives if you have more than one.

I tried this and played three levels through and none of them hung at the end.... while this is inconclusive, it is better than what I've been getting before. Pain in the ass to disable all the drives -- although I doubt I'll be playing the game all the way through again until I've completed all the retexturing anyway...

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try making the CD drive that the TR CD is in the first drive letter above the other CD drives, should work that way instead of having to disable the other drives.

Could also find a NOCD crack.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It already is the first letter. It's a mounted BIN running on Daemon tools with it's letter reassigned to be the first. Still crashes.

But as pointed out, if I disable all other drives (real and virtual) it seems to be OK.