Problem with Tomb Raider

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 52, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for all this feedback.

ableeker: yes, the version I released here, and 009rc7 have Markus's fix, although not done exactly how he did it.

artie150: when you swap from one version to another, the first time you start Glidos with the new version, you will find that your OpenGLid.INI file is set to all defaults. This might be what caused the slow down because you would lose the EnableMMX setting.

BTW, I have no idea how EnableMMX could be curing the "missing texture" problem. Any confirmation of that would be interesting.

Reply 42 of 52, by artie150

User metadata

I dont know how adding that line to the .ini file worked but it solved two problems- garbled text on the opening screen and the missing texture problem.
I am more concerned right now with this "quarter screen" issue. Not that it effects game play at all, its more of an annoyance than a problem.I am enclosing a screen shot of it so that you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• Filename
    Quarter.JPG
    File size
    22.83 KiB
    Downloads
    123 downloads
    File comment
    Quarter screen shot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 45 of 52, by artie150

User metadata

Your right about that. I was getting very frustrated between all these changes so last night I went back to basics.
I reloaded a fresh version of 1.26, changed the EnableMipMaps to=0, Upgraded my ATI drivers to Catalyst 4.3 and it seems to be running fine.
I did not add the line EnableMMX=1.
So right now I am back where I started.
What would adding the line indicated above add to the game?
With TRX enabled it runs at a nice 30 FPS.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks to you and Paul.

Reply 48 of 52, by Senuf

User metadata

Hi.
Just wanted to say that I, too have this problem. Green/White triangles and other blocks are striped white/grey and they move (the stripes do). I am also running Glidos 1.24, a nVidia TNT 64 video card, and TR1. I am also using (sigh) updated video drivers from nVidia - specificially release 61.76. All was well until my card and drivers were changed. Previously, I had a much higher quality graphics card which, unfortunately, had a defective heat sink, so it's being swapped out under mfg warranty; in the meantime, I reverted to this older card, installed the drivers, and wham - green/white textures, a bad-hair day for Lara (grotty grey streaks outlining the polygons making up the back of her head), and the blocks NOT in green/white are streaky white/grey and the angles of the streaks move as if they are a reflection of a lightsource that is itself moving. Most distracting. For interest's sake, I've attached a jpg of the offending elements. I am about to revert to older drivers to see if that helps. I do wish nVidia and ATI would do something (much better!) about their drivers - I went through 4 ATI cards which came with some of the worst (read that unstable, massive, unwieldly, glitch-ridden) drivers I have ever used. And I started with computers back in the days of green screens and no hard drives! Anyway, will advise if fixed with drivers, as I don't believe the problem is Glidos-based.... 😀 (a lovely package for which I give thanks)

Attachments

• GreenWhiteTexturesNotes.jpg
    Filename
    GreenWhiteTexturesNotes.jpg
    File size
    24.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    TNT 64 textures / palettes display problem
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 49 of 52, by Guest

User metadata

Followup: reverted to nVidia drivers version 45.23 and voila, with no other adjustments, Glidos and TR1 are back to their usual clear and fun selves. And thanks to everyone for the other postings about this problem; I do like to keep the latest drivers, but it always seems a trade-off between older ones that work and new ones that have to be customized to get one package to work, but then uncustomized, or customized a different way to get another game to work. Not complaining, I truly appreciate all the information and advice and tips - they have helped me get Glidos setup and running in the first place, complete wtih sound and much improved graphics. Thanks again.

Reply 50 of 52, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my own experience (I've been testing half a hundred nVidia beta drivers), everything after 53.03 is just plain crap. I'm using these drivers on my GF2 Ti and GF3 Ti on a regular basis and they work beautifully. You might want to do the same.

Reply 52 of 52, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup Paul, you're right about ForceWare 56.64. It works nice with the GF3, but for some reason it has some serious issues with the GF2 -- mainly, AA and AF don't work anymore in Direct3D 😕