Common searches

Tomb Raider Xtra as a community effort?

Topic actions

First post, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More people are getting into the idea of creating texture packs for Tomb raider/Glidos.

We have four people that I can think of: Me, John Capon, Quest and Antonijdas

TRX was my own personal project. However, I can't help but think it would be good to treat the idea as a community effort. Especially as not many people know about the extra texture packs that are available from this very forum.

I am thinking about changing the current site so that it's more general and a place where all the packs can be downloaded. The site would continue to bear the TRX name, but it would be presented differently so that all the texture pack developers get a page to themselves with their own downloads. Therefore, TRX would no longer mean "Gambit's texture packs" (which is how I see it at the moment), but in fact a label for what's on offer in the site.

Some people have said to me why don't I team up with other designers so that we texture different levels and can release stuff quicker. Let me make it clear that i'm not interested in that.. I still want to re-texture the entire game myself, and I guess others do too. Besides, I think our styles are all too different to make the game look consistent.

One thing to make you all aware of: I'm currently doing a lot of work on standardising the folder structure for texture packs. This is work that could be shared among all artists as a base for how to build packs. The important thing that I'm working on is keeping shared elements together so that textures for common items don't need to be duplicated on a level by level basis (this is one reason why I would prefer to release texture packs in groups -- all of Peru for example). I would be happy to share this structure with others if it's useful, but it may not be practical as it's part of the development process and takes just as long as the texturing. Anyway, I digress...

If any of you other artists are interested in having your work made available in this way, please let me know. You would have to accept that I'd be in control of the site, the look and feel, how it's presented and how often it gets updated. To reassure you, although the site will be mine, each artists work will be presented equally (including mine)

Thoughts?

Last edited by Gambit37 on 2005-09-26, 10:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 192, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that sounds very nice. 😉 What textures do you think to put on your site? I mean, can we put level by level, or we can put the whole chapter, can we put beta textures or not, ...? 😒
Can you post that rules?

Reply 3 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will need to think about that -- I would love for you to put on alphas, betas and anything else. However, in practice this will chew up bandwidth at an alarming rate and is not something that my host can support at present (I have 200MB of disk space graciously donated to me by Bex at Larashome.com -- I'm not sure how much bandwidth I'm allowed to use but I must keep it as low as possible).

I think I should allow complete betas to allow you to get feedback and after that one final pack per level or group of levels. If you want to keep making changes and putting up packs all the time it's going to become too time-consuming and too much bandwidth will be consumed.

Reply 4 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that this is a very generous offer Gambit, although I am of course very grateful to you for hosting two of my efforts already.
If the disk space/ bandwidth issue would not be a serious problem then I think that the increased buzz of activity on the site would be very beneficial.
If you do decide to go ahead with this I will be pleased to particicipate - looks like Antonijadis will be too - just let us know what you need from us......

Reply 5 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been doing some more work on folder naming for my own tetxures and realised that the organisation of some of the texture packs by the rest of you leaves a lot to be desired... 😀

I certainly don't want to get into having to tidy everyone's work up before release on the shared website. So I'm going to write a few directions on how best to manage your texture packs. It would be really useful if everyone doing texture packs could stick to the same conventions. There is also the issue that some texture packs map to different folder names -- we will have to find a way of managing this too.

Quest, we haven't heard from you for a while. Do you want to be a part of this?

Reply 8 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had time to write them yet and I'm still thinking about how best to do it.

At the moment, I'm building the new website plus working an another project for someone else. Once the new website is up (in a few weeks) I'll write to guide and add it to the site.

In the first version of the site, I'll upload the packs that are currently available. We can later change them for better managed versions.

Reply 10 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've decided not to put up the new site until I have at least one new completely finished pack. Although I'm working on all the Peru levels together, I don't yet have a 100% complete level.

So I'm gonna switch my focus back to texturing and after that will do the site. My free time is limited so I'm afraid I can't give any idea when that might be. *shrug*

Reply 11 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We can wait Gambit!

I don't know whether you have had time to consider the best way to make different texture packs compatible, but I thought maybe this would work:

The Textures folder within Glidos could contain all the usual numbered folders plus a folder for each artist.

The numbered folders would contain .txt files which are substituted for each of the original textures, and named simply with the co-ordinates that designated each texture. i.e. (0--32)(32--64).txt.

The .txt files link to the actual textures in the artist's folders and these can be organised any which way the artist wants. Changing texture packs would be a simple matter of overwriting the .txt files in the numbered folders.

If this sounds like a reasonable idea it would be good to establish it a.s.a.p so that we can all get on with designing textures without the worry of extra work later caused by compatibility issues. Thoughts?

Reply 13 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I'm really getting in to this audio thing now..(have laid all triggers for St Francis Folly already) - but I can't for the life of me get this mapping thing to work! Any chance of some simple step-by-step instructions for a thicko like me?

Reply 14 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added some notes to the texture management thread as this one is going a bit off topic....

Request for better texture pack management

Reply 15 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick screengrab of the new design for the site. I wanted something similar in tone to what I'd done before, but highlighting the textures themselves and retaining the TR1 spirit. what do you think?

Attachments

• Filename
    grab1.jpg
    File size
    287.59 KiB
    Downloads
    680 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lara's head has always been too big -- I just got the pic from an old TR picture archive, didn't change it except for the colouring.

I'm going to try and get the new site built this month, but no specific dates in mind. I'm pretty busy with a new young lady.... 😉