Common searches

Tomb Raider Xtra as a community effort?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It may be easiest to just have a record added to your current DNS for trx.resonantedge.com. I may be able to find out how that is done for your particular hosting package. Your DNS servers seem to be run by Transnexis, and the contact name is at 4dhosting.com. Are either of those familiar?

Reply 101 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Transnexis? Never 'eard of 'em.

My domain is registered through 1-2-3reg (part of Pipex) and my host is 4D.

So basically, we'll set up a pointer that's trx.resonantedge.com that seamlessly directs to your server/hosting? Anyone typing trx.res...com into their browser will end up on your site? I don't really see the point of this -- TRX is only my domain name because I started the project. Wouldn't it be better to register a domain name that points to your server and we use that, www.tombraiderxtra.com for example?

Reply 102 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure what you mean by "seemlessly directs". Its the same whatever domain we use. Its DNS just needs an A record (or maybe a CNAME) pointing to the server. Its not unusual to have subdomains mapped onto different servers. The point in using trx.resonantedge.com or trx.glidos.net is that we already own those domains, so don't have the hassle and cost of another.

I've just looked at www.123-reg.co.uk and they seem to claim Full DNS control, so adding the record is probably not difficult.

Reply 104 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doh, was gonna say wait, I'll do it, because then I can do it on my existing account. Oh well, guess it doesn't matter really. 😀 What's next?

Reply 105 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gambit37 wrote:

What's next?

Bung me the files, I guess. I'll see if I can get them installed, and also set up access for you for the whole area, and for authors for their areas.

If you think it makes sense for the domain to be registered to you, I think its fairly easy to transfer it over. I just grabbed it on impulse.

Reply 107 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll make the site password access only for the time being, so just we can look at it until its correct.

In fact I better do that now, bacause currently I have a version of your stuff there which is just saved html

Reply 111 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops, my birthday kindof got bigger and fell into the following week then work took over and flat hunting has taken a lot of my time. Real life, eh?

I PMd you a zip of the current state -- it's incomplete but should allow you to play around and see if it works. I haven't written any instructions yet -- think you should be able to work it all out OK. Screenshots work by uploading large JPGs to the screenshots folder, thumbs will be created automatically first time you view the page.

Reply 113 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Works great. You write nice php code. Anyway, its ready for experimentation. I've allocated a username and password for each artist. They can be used to view the site at http://www.tombraiderxtra.com and to upload to the artist areas at ftp://ftp.tombraiderxtra.com. Gambit, your ftp account give access to the whole area.

Reply 114 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glidos wrote:

Works great. You write nice php code.

🤣 All the 'nice' stuff is functions I grabbed from the 'net. The other rubbishy loops is my poor-mans effort at 'programming'.

Glidos wrote:

Works great. You write nice php code. Anyway, its ready for experimentation. I've allocated a username and password for each artist. They can be used to view the site at http://www.tombraiderxtra.com and to upload to the artist areas at ftp://ftp.tombraiderxtra.com. Gambit, your ftp account give access to the whole area.

Ooooh, it's terribly exciting to see it on a shiny new domain! 😁

I'm still in the throes of trying to find somewhere to live and it's become really crucial now, so I can't really update my stuff yet and once I've moved I don't think I'll have a net connection for a few weeks. I will try and get a bit of time this weekend to work on it but I can't make any promises.

Thanks for sorting this out!!! It's great! Did you ever anticipate this when you discovered the 'side-effect' of texture remapping?

Reply 116 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. I couldn't set up ftp accounts for directories with spaces in. Some stupid restriction by the hosting system. So I just put the underscores in but changed the code to remove them in the displays.

Reply 117 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, just so you know, I'll be doing a bit of work on the site over the bank hols, so the source files will be changing -- I'll upload when done. Please don't work on these at the same time.

Reply 118 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've updated the site and other than each artist sorting out their stuff, it's complete. Here's what's new:

1) The news page works better and breaks the news down into pages of a maximum of ten items each.
2) Added instructions for Installation with screenshots
3) Improved the FAQ page (adding in a key question about the spinning logo that I keep getting emails about!)
4) Added the contact page
5) Cleaned up some CSS (you may need to refresh the pages if they now look weird)

The code in the background is not especially robust and I'm sure it's possible for artists to break stuff if they do odd things with their folders.

So, all we need now is for everyone to package up their files as usable self-extracting archives, write descriptions for each one, upload some screenshots and write a little bio about themselves. You should all now have logins to enable you to do this -- I haven't written any instructions yet as I think it's pretty easy to see what you can do, but if anyone needs specific help, let me know and I'll write some notes.

Can you all also check the content of the website and let me know if there are any mistakes or if the content should be re-written in any way.

Cheers all!

http://www.tombraiderxtra.com