VOGONS

Common searches

Tomb Raider Xtra as a community effort?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 192, by Tombcool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, that would be great, hey, Gambit, could you tell me where I could see a tutorial on how to make lava or where to get it? 😀

Oh, and if you wanna see what I have got so far, please go to the "The Great Pyramid" thread.

Reply 82 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure there is!

Sorry, I'm rather busy at the moment with trying to find somewhere to live as I have to move home. The site has fallen off my radar. And there is the small issue that despite making it a community effort, I really did want to do it for myself as a personal project. Maybe I need to be less precious though, I've never been very good at that... 🙁

Reply 83 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, there are a couple of things that would be useful for you to do:

1) Write installation/setup instructions for new-style texture packs for Glidos 1.33
2) Collate any of the troubleshooting questions you've so far had to deal with and combine them into a document -- not sure yet if these should go in the FAQ or have their own troublsehooting page

Cheers 😀

Reply 86 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An update. I'm sorry to everyone about the delay in getting the new site up and running. My life is really hectic right now -- I'm working late a lot and am trying to find new flat mates and a new place to live. I don't have the time to do anything on the site just yet, but hopefully in a month or so when all this has settled down, I can finish it.

If you really can't wait until then, I guess it might be better for you guys to work out something temporary among yourselves -- if that's the case, I'd really appreciate that you don't use the any of the TRX front-end just yet as it's incomplete. Cheers.

Reply 87 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm in no hurry. I'm having severe technical problems at the moment anyway. I'm hoping that it is simply the case that I need a new graphics card, although that's an expense that I could live without! What do you mean by "TRX front-end"?

Reply 89 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The display freezes and the computer reboots. Microsoft reports problem with display driver/ device. I have tried rolling back driver through various incarnations - have taken card out of machine and cleaned it's fan....have run Windows Memory Diagnostic which reports no problems. Have now ordered a new card which is due to be delivered next weekend.

Reply 91 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JC wrote:

What do you mean by "TRX front-end"?

Front end = Graphics, HTML & CSS.

Oddly, I'm going to have some free time later today which I didn't expect so I'll be doing a bit of work on it today! 😎

Reply 92 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, got the most important bits done. Now the news page, downloads, screens and artists pages all work:

http://www.resonantedge.com/trxtest/index.php

Feedback at this point would be good. I haven't written the contacts page or installation instructions yet.

Reply 95 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll write a full guide showing what files you need to upload and where and what format they can take. For now, here's a summary:

News: Can be .txt or .html and include basic HTML formatting. Title of the file is the title of the news item. The news page is ordered by date, using the time of the file when it's uploaded, so it's all automatic. Currently no mechanism for archiving older stuff so this will be added once the news page starts getitng big

Uploads: Any format you like, though we should stick to self-extracting EXEs. I'll look into getting a standard installer using 7zip. Name of the file is the name of the download link. Including a .txt file with the same filename will allow you to write a description that appears below the link.

Screenshots: JPG only, must be 4:3 ratio (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960 etc) -- any images uploaded will have thumbnails created automatically. Currently maximum of 15 per artist

Artist descriptions: HTML: 2 files, a short one for use on the collective artist page and a longer one on the individual artist page. Can include basic HTML formatting.

Reply 97 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, not live, this is just for testing and information purposes.

If you're still willing to host, that would be cool. Do you want the files that I have so far so you can experiment? Don't laugh at my crappy coding.... 😉

Reply 98 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Files to play with would be handy (Hey, I'm no PHP expert. I may learn something).

The other thing is we need to work out what domain to host it at. Maybe trx.resonantedge.com. Easier for me is if it was trx.glidos.net, but that may give people the impression its part of my site. If we go with trx.resonantedge.com, there are all sorts of ways to handle the DNS, which we need to decide between.

1) resonantedge.com's DNS could define trx.resonantedge as a seperate SOA and quote ix hosting's DNS servers for it, and then xihost just handle that sub part of your domain. That's nice but may not be possible to set up at your end.

2) ix hosting takes over DNS for resonantedge.com completely, but defining all the records as they are now except for trx.resonantedge.com

3) We run two parallel DNS configurations, so that you keep your current one, but ix hosting's servers think they control your DNS. That's sort of nasty because we need always keep the two idnetical.

4) Something else I haven't thought of.

Reply 99 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm.... the whole DNS thing scares me 🙁 My issue is that I'm not happy with my host and want to change it but simply don't have the time to sort all the out until at least after I've moved house (another month). I don't really want to get into DNS changes that will need to be done again and to be honest I'm not even sure if I can do any of that stuff with my current host.

What questions do I need to ask a host/provider to find out what you need?