VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TitsOnaBull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am thinking of buying GliDOS so that I can play Carmageddon (the original, and by far the BEST of the three!), but I see that there is a warning about two levels freezing in Carmageddon. Was that with a particular card, or all cards? I have a GF2 GTS Pro. Any idea when that moight be fixed (read, do it NOW 😠 !!!!)...?

Tits
😜

Reply 1 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I know it is the game itself crashing because of the environment provided by Glidos. It might be that there's too little DOS memory or something. I think you should expect to have the problem. You can play out the bad levels in software mode, but you might well consider this a reason not to buy Glidos.

Actually, there's a possibility that you wont get software mode working under Window XP; Snover knows more about this; maybe he will have a comment.

Reply 2 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Software mode works fine -- it appears to only be running in GliDOS that causes the problem. I can tell you, however, that seeing the levels that don't crash in all their high-resolution glory makes it VERY worth buying. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by TitsOnaBull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies!

Has anyone tried running GliDOS in the DOS shell of Windows 98SE? That is how I play C1. I do not restart in DOS mode, I just play in the shell. Would that even work with GliDOS? I guess I should download it and find out! Next couple days I will do this. But I am thinking maybe if that works it would also fix the level freezing problems, if in fact it is an environment problem?

Tits

Reply 4 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the only way to run Glidos in the shell, except that actually there is a button on the main Glidos app (a windows app) which starts the game. The thing is Glidos is made in two parts a Windows part and a DOS part. They both run at the same time, so you must be in Windows not pure DOS.

Reply 5 of 6, by TitsOnaBull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh okay, cool. Well I will try it out this weekend for sure! I was going to ask how to put smiley faces in in the replies (yesterday the smiles menu was gone in replies for me) but I see the smile menu is back, so: 😁 !

Tits