VOGONS

Common searches

AAAAAAUGH! (Redguard)

Topic actions

First post, by BonBon

User metadata

I've tried running Redguard in Glidos, with VDMSound, but I have two problems. First of all I get (in addition to the message box where you just click ignore) a message saying that I'm running software openGL or something such, and the graphics and speed seem to suggest that's correct. However, I have a GeForce 4 Ti4400, which AFAIK has OpenGL support aplenty. Any ideas here?

In addition, there's the speed problem. VDMSound nearly choked my computer (task manager said it was using 99% of CPU) after I finally managed to close down Glidos and Redguard (which also seemed to be choking my computer). Now, everything was excruciatingly slow from the moment I launched Redguard, so I'm not really sure whether the problem's with Glidos or VDMSound, but something was definitely wrong.

Reply 3 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by BonBon I've tried running Redguard in Glidos, with VDMSound, but I have two problems. First of all I get (in addition to the message box where you just click ignore) a message saying that I'm running software openGL or something such,

Well something is making it think your card isn't capable.

If you have another GliDOS-compatible title, you might try one of them. If not, the "Extreme Assault" demo is still available at:
ftp://ftp.bluebyte.com/demos/eng/extreme-assault/xa_demo.exe
(Warning: 12.5 Megs) and it's compatible for testing purposes.

Otherwise you'll need to contact Paul directly about this.

Redguard, so I'm not really sure whether the problem's with Glidos or VDMSound, but something was definitely wrong.

Then split it in half. Disable audio the game's setup as best as possible (if no sound isn't an option, try PC-speaker, if no speaker option, try plain ad-lib). Do not use VDMSound and see what results you get.

BTW, you didn't tell us your config beyond your video card,... OS is the most critical item.

Reply 4 of 29, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 99% thing is a pain, sorry. I will fix it eventually. It happens only on Windows XP and 2000, and only if you kill the Glidos server while a Glidos-type game is still running. If you have Glidos running really slowly and you can't stop the game, then before shutting down Glidos, kill the game from task manager (it will appear as ntvdm.exe).

The software OpenGL problem. In all cases we know of, it has been because the original Windows drivers have been installed.
Can you find an OpenGL tab somewhere amongst the screen properties?

When fault finding, it is always best to run Glidos in Windowed mode rather than fullscreen (setable from the "Adjust.." button).

Reply 5 of 29, by BonBon

User metadata

Okay, I'll just give a more complete list of my config first of all. I'm running Win2k (SP3) with the following hardware specs:
AMD T-Bird 1,4GHz
512MB DDR RAM
2xSeagate Barracuda 80 gig HDDs
Leadtek Winfast GeForce4 Ti4400
Creative Soundblaster Live
Pioneer DVD-ROM
Plextor CD burner
Asus A7M266 motherboard

I've installed the latest drivers for everything.

And yes, there are OpenGL settings under the GeForce4 Ti4400 tab in advanced display settings.

Reply 11 of 29, by BonBon

User metadata

Unfortunately, I don't have any titles that require OpenGL that I know of. I tried switching between TrueColor and HighColor, but it had no effect.

OpenGlid.ini follows:
Configuration File for OpenGLide

Version=Version0.07b3

[Options]
EnableMMX=0
CreateWindow=0
InitFullScreen=0
EnableMipMaps=0
IgnorePaletteChange=0
EnableFog=1
EnablePrecisionFix=1
EnableWrap565=0
EnableMultiTextureEXT=1
EnablePaletteEXT=1
EnablePackedPixelsEXT=0
EnableVertexArrayEXT=0
EnableSecondaryColorEXT=0
EnableFogCoordEXT=1
TextureMemorySize=16
WrapperPriority=2
FrameBufferMemorySize=8

Reply 12 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by BonBon I don't have any titles that require OpenGL...

Try downloading and running the Open_GL Renderer program here. Run it to see what results you get.

Attachments

• Filename
    opengl_info.exe
    File size
    33.5 KiB
    Downloads
    233 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you get results like the window on top, your software GL renderer is considered the default. It should look more like the window at the bottom (with a GF4 being identified).

Attachments

• ogl.png
    Filename
    ogl.png
    File size
    10.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone know of a reasonably-sized program that will allow you to specifically choose the renderer (in this case, Hardware OpenGL)? I found numerous programs to test OpenGL, but most seem to work with software GL, instead or requiring hardware.

Need something that renders in OpenGL and won't drop back to software GL (most that I've found did).

Reply 19 of 29, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting topic. I just got Redguard and gave it a spin.

1. In window mode, Redguard inexplicably forces itself into software OGL and runs really, really slow indeed.

2. In fullscreen mode, I get an error message ("Screen mode change failed") but pressing OK makes Redguard load normally and the hardware accelerated OGL is obviously used (the log file says so, too).

I have a question about hardware OGL. Though it appears undoubtedly faster, I still find it quite slow and even choppy at times (mipmapping is disabled, btw). I mean, nearly as choppy as Morrowind... OK, my set-up is not really high end, but still, it must have been a pretty darn good set-up for a 1998 game... Just wondering.