Common searches

Audiopack revival

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 301, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't really payed attention to the audio pack stuff, but presumably the triggers can be added to any texture pack? So for example, I could take all the hard work being done here, add it into my Peru pack, and it'll alll "just work"?

Reply 82 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paul,

I have several triggers that I've modified to hopefully be more accurate with the PSX version, and I'd like to post them, but I want to make sure I don't complicate things.

In some cases, I've modified the triggers, which would mean they would just overwrite the old ones, but in other cases, I've completely changed the textures that were used for the triggers. If these triggers were installed without removing the old ones, instead of having, say, three triggers for ApeRoom, someone would have five, and it might cause the trigger to activate at the wrong time.

So how should I proceed? Should I send you the triggers so you can evaluate them, and then you can integrate them with the whole package? Perhaps I should just post them, but with the instructions to remove the others? Another added complication is that I seem to have a different version of the game than many other people, so my triggers might not work for them, and some folders might have to be added. What do you think?

Reply 83 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've been working on the one trigger for colloseum, and it's a pain. I can get it to trigger all right, but I can't get it not to trigger everywhere else. The problem is that the trigger is surrounded by one texture that's used for the walls and the ceiling, streched out to look different, and it's also used all over the level, so it doesn't seem to matter what checks you do on it, they get filled by the texture all over the level. The floor is the same.

I was actually able to make the sound trigger by using a distant texture that the user can't see but the computer can, but even when I put a bunch of restrictions of location, size and height on that and another texture, those requirements are met whenever you face that way from roughly the same distance, anywhere in the room. It's very frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to tackle this? Should I use as many textures as I can cram in there, and make as many checks as possble, on the hope that they can only be filled by that location?

Reply 85 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, a save point with a description of the trigger effects (and the name of the audio file) would help.

I've finished placing triggers (seven in all) in Return to Egypt, the first level of TRUB -- one took me five minutes to implement, while another one required me to modify it for six hours because it was surrounded by generic textures. Quite a pain, but I'm rather satisfied with the result.

You're gonna love working on Khamoon and Atlantis ;)

Reply 86 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finished placing triggers (seven in all) in Return to Egypt, the first level of TRUB -- one took me five minutes to implement, while another one required me to modify it for six hours because it was surrounded by generic textures. Quite a pain, but I'm rather satisfied with the result.

Since to the best of my knowledge, there weren't originally any triggers there, I assume this was a creative endevor. That's great. I felt that it was anti-climactic not to have any sound in it. I imagine you could figure out a way around the dilemma. I'll post it when I get the chance.

The triggers for the main game are pretty much pre-determined (though even some improvements can be made there), so once they're done, the task is pretty much finished, and people can focus on retexturing.

Reply 87 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, here's the difficult trigger, and what I've come up with thus far:

I've included the savegame. If you step up one step, it's supposed to play 16revelation2.mp3 (new naming system). It sort of does, but only if you walk slowly. I've included the savegame and the location, but not the triggers, because they're what probably needs some work, but here they are:

B8EF9DAED4F147F1EC0D215D9A75799C
(192--256)(0--64).txt
Trigger: Locations\Colosseum 1
Check: width > 320

5E44F14BFEC8BEAA0F3CC529C899FB5E
(128--192)(128--192).txt
Trigger: Locations\Colosseum 2
Check: height > 80
Check: bottom > 54

4EC2EBED3AFE007FBB6FE0D9E65A3717
(128--192)(0--64).txt
Trigger: Locations\Colosseum 3
Check: width > 29
Check: width < 31
Check: left > 169
Check: right > 202

The first trigger, Colosseum 1 is there to try to stop it from playing all over the level, but it also makes it sluggish where it's supposed to be. The annoying thing about it is it's used all over the place - as trimming on the steps, and also as the walls and the ceiling - just stretched out so it looks different. It's also used all throughout the room.

Attachments

• Filename
    Colosseum trigger.zip
    File size
    1.35 KiB
    Downloads
    495 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 88 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I'm going to go ahead and post the other triggers I've been working on, because with everyone working on this, it won't be long before efforts start getting duplicated. I'll do it in two successive posts, because the first one's a modification of the original set.

This is the second trigger in the game, when Lara first encounters dogs. I modified it so that it would trigger a little earlier, as soon as you step into the doorway.

Of course, if you just load up the savegame, it will start before you step down, beacuse the camera swings around. The best way to test it is to load the savegame, step back a few steps, save in a different slot, and then try it from there. But this savegame marks the step before the trigger.

Attachments

• Filename
    caves-dogs.zip
    File size
    1.78 KiB
    Downloads
    478 downloads
    File license

Reply 89 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here the triggers for the Folly level. Some of them are modified from JC's, some of them started from scratch, and I added another one that wasn't there - it calls a track that's usually used for ambient, but here it's used as a regular trigger. I also included the savegames.
You may want to be sure all the folley triggers are gone from your folders before trying these, because I used some different textures.

1. Folly-ApeRoom - I changed this one so that the music starts right when Lara steps in the doorway, which is when the apes come after her.

2. Folly-TheFolly - This one is a little later, right when you step into the new room.

3. Folly-Thor - I don't think I changed this one, but it has the new naming convention.

4. Folly-Damocles - This is the one I added with the ambient track.

5. Folly-Neptune - I made this one a little earlier, right after the door.

If any of these don't work, it might be because someone has a version of the game with the textures are in a different folder. If that's the case, if someone posts those, I can add them to the Audio folder to make the triggers work.

Attachments

• Filename
    folly.zip
    File size
    10.45 KiB
    Downloads
    449 downloads
    File license

Reply 90 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This all looks like a good plan. For each of these packs, as soon as there's a general consensus that they are working ok, and if the authors are happy for me to do so, I'll include them in mine.

Reply 92 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're quite right, that track is missing from the audio pack. It may be because we hadn't used it yet, so it wasn't in the conversion table I posted earlier. It's track 10 on the PSX disc, but I'll go ahead and post it.

Paul, you may want to add it to the archive. Incidentally, as far as I know, all the tracks in the archive that don't have names aren't used - that is, they are already provided by the program within the game, so you may want to remove them to save download times and bandwidth.

Attachments

• Filename
    revelation2.zip
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Downloads
    549 downloads
    File license

Reply 95 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok will do. Presumably that missing track is my 09 Track 9?

That's the right track, but you called it "16revelations2" and it should be "16revelation2" without the s, so that it will match the location and triggers.

Reply 96 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
slube wrote:

Since to the best of my knowledge, there weren't originally any triggers there, I assume this was a creative endevor. That's great. I felt that it was anti-climactic not to have any sound in it.

Indeed, apart from the ambient tracks (which are played by Glidos with the online version but not with the Gold CD version), TRUB is pretty much silent.

On the other hand, it's been a tradition of all Philip Campbell's Gold levels (from TR1 to TR3) to favour ambient tracks instead of musical cues -- not that he had much of a choice in TRUB, though! In order to respect this approach, I tried to implement triggers which I hope are not too intrusive. Besides, even the original Khamoon and Atlantis levels are rather quiet in the PSX version.

My main concern right now is to make sure that my TRUB triggers don't conflict with the original levels and vice versa.

Thanks for the save games. I'm going to check your Colosseum trigger tonight and see if I can come up with a solution.

PS: there's a typo on the title track as well: 01maintitile (one "i" too many). Should be trivial to fix it.

Reply 97 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PS: there's a typo on the title track as well: 01maintitile (one "i" too many). Should be trivial to fix it.

There's also a typo in the Qualopec "bolder" location, but I don't know if we should bother changing those, because it would mean changing a lot of names, and all that really matters is that things are consistent.

Reply 98 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slube wrote:

There's also a typo in the Qualopec "bolder" location, but I don't know if we should bother changing those, because it would mean changing a lot of names, and all that really matters is that things are consistent.

Ok, ta. I've corrected those errors, and updated the archive.

Reply 99 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry Paul, but you forgot to fix "16revelation2.mp3" (without "s") 😅

Slube, here's the fixed trigger for the Colosseum. I tried a lot of solutions, the easiest being to check the sofa -- almost invisible in the far distance on the balcony. But even Glidos can't see it soon enough, except from oblique camera angles.

Ultimately, I decided to focus on the Midas initial (M) which adorns the highest tiles above the tiers, and I put two safety checks for the walls and stairs. Phew! Took me about four hours 😵

Tell me if it works for you. Hopefully it won't trigger anywhere else -- I can't remember the Midas letters being used outside the gold statue and the roof tiles of the Colosseum.

[Edit] I feel a bit dumb! I didn't realize we came up with the same solution, but with different values -- I should have had a look at your proposed triggers in the first place.

The check for the yellow floor is probably redundant with the one for the stairs since they seem to come in two most of the time, but it won't do any harm I guess. I'd set it like this:

5E44F14BFEC8BEAA0F3CC529C899FB5E
(128--192)(128--192).txt
Trigger: Locations\Colosseum 4
Check: width > 160
Check: bottom < 200

Anyway, give a try to my triggers and keep us informed. I didn't check much of the level beyond the arena, but I think the M check should be safe enough to not occur all over the place.

Just curious -- I see you've set your own M trigger with the following values:

Check: left > 169
Check: right > 202

It looks odd to me. To my understanding, left > 169 means that the left border of your texture must be beyond X:169, and right > 202 means that the right border of your texture must be beyond X:202. Is it what you had in mind?

Attachments

Last edited by Kaminari on 2005-11-21, 23:25. Edited 1 time in total.