VOGONS

Common searches

Audiopack revival

Topic actions

First post, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wondering, what about the music and sounds for the levels after "Lost valley"?
Can I put the sounds and music in the next levels somehow?
Also, How to put some extra sound in the parts of the game? 😒

Reply 3 of 301, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In fact, I was understood how mp3 files are playing, but I don't understand how playing the other files. Do they have the connections with textures files with same name? And what means: left, top, width, height ...? 😖

Reply 5 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry. Really busy at the moment, but I'll have a quick go at explaining it now.

Firstly I have a collection of save games just before each sound should play, plus descriptions of what triggers it. This was put together for me by... ah, ah, forgotten the name - damn, he deserves acknowledgment for all that effort. I'll find out. But in any case, I can give you a copy of that.

Now, in the Audio folder there are the sort of folders you find in texture packs, plus two others, called Tracks and Locations. Tracks is pretty obvious its where the mp3s go. I have the lot here.

Locations has a file per instance of a sound in the game, so for example there is one called Caves-Steps for when you run up the steps before dropping through the floor where the lone wolf is. It says

Play: 2 Tracks\11Incidental2.mp3

That's pretty self explanatory except the number 2. The 2 means that there are two textures the appearence of which triggers the music. There's a convention: if there are 2 triggers then they are trigger 1, and trigger 2. If there are 3, then they are 1, 2, & 3. All of these triggering textures have to appear on the screen for the music to play. So you can tie down the particular place in the game by adding as many textures as you need. (Note you are able to specify where on the screen the texure appears not just that it is present).

You specify that a texture triggers a location in the same way you add an overriding texture: you add a file with a special name. The two files for Caves-Steps are

54637C4BF0304439B63F51D3A5EEA382\(232--256)(88--136).txt

and

6C7FE41E229619C7ACDED8A8538E3F4E\(144--208)(96--160).txt

The first contains

Trigger: Locations\Caves-Switch 1
Check: width < 2
Check: height < 2

That says that the texture the strange name cooresponds to is trigger No 1 for the Caves-Switch location, and it applies only if the texture appears in such a way that its width on screen (a 640x480 screen) is less than 2 pixels, and its height is less than two pixels.

The second contains something similar, plus another set of lines because it is actually a trigger for two different locations.

Does that sort of explain it?

Reply 6 of 301, by Guest

User metadata

But, how you give name to the location. I was looking in save game folder and there are no sign of "Caves-door" or "Caves-dog2"...
Also, some name of the texture folder that I was downloaded must been rename because they are not have the same name like my folder, so I was been refuse for some texture. Anyway now that work fine (texture), but I do not rename audio folders and sound appears just fine although they don't have the same name like texture folders.
How that?

P.S.
St Francis' Folly- Little mistake. I post him very soon . Sorry.

Reply 7 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Firstly I have a collection of save games just before each sound should play, plus descriptions of what triggers it. This was put together for me by... ah, ah, forgotten the name - damn, he deserves acknowledgment for all that effort. I'll find out. But in any case, I can give you a copy of that.

That was I. I monitor this forum regularly, and it would certainly be great to see the sounds added to the rest of the game.
Wasn't there something about how different versions of the game had different textures, so some of the triggers didn't work? You had me test them out, and then send you the savegames that weren't working. Then you were able to fix it. I'd be happy to do that for whoever is working on this.

Reply 8 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous wrote:

But, how you give name to the location. I was looking in save game folder and there are no sign of "Caves-door" or "Caves-dog2"...

The save games have no part in the triggering. They just help us get to the place in the game to start work. The name "Cave-door" is just one I have chosen. The important thing is that I use the same string in the (xxx-xxx)(xxx-xxx).txt files.

Also, some name of the texture folder that I was downloaded must been rename because they are not have the same name like my folder, so I was been refuse for some texture. Anyway now that work fine (texture), but I do not rename audio folders and sound appears just fine although they don't have the same name like texture folders.
How that?

As Slube says, different versions of the games have different textures. Well, in fact, mostly the textures are the same, but grouped differntly into 256x256 blocks. This means the texture you are looking for is probably still there, but it will appear in a different folder, and with a different name in a texture pack folder. Multiple versions of TR can be handled by having the same trigger file appearing with each of the relevant names.

P.S.
St Francis' Folly- Little mistake. I post him very soon . Sorry.

I will look forward to that.

Reply 10 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What happened with the Slube? Don't you want to help me?

Happy to help, though I should explain I know nothing about the mechanics of putting sound in the game. What I can do is test to make sure the sounds are being triggered correctly.

Reply 14 of 301, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paul...sorry for being thick, but -

the files in the Audio folder (in the numbered folders and in "Locations") are created with what?
I can open them and read them in notepad, although they don't have any file extension that I can see. Would .txt files do the same job or do I need a particular programme to generate them?

Reply 15 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I can tell, those are plain text files. You can edit them in NotePad, WordPad or any text editor that is ASCII compatible. However, and Paul will correct me if I'm wrong, you should make sure that you save your text files without any *.TXT extension.

Reply 17 of 301, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They won't be identiied as text files if you leave the extension off!

You've probably set Windows Explorer to "Don't display extensions of known file types" -- this stops extensions from showing.

Reply 18 of 301, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

JC has offered his help on this too, so you two should talk.

JC, did you insert any sound in the game? I don’t have much progress yet, but I try to find some time for work on that. It appears that is not a hard work but…