VOGONS

Common searches

Audiopack revival

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I just modified one of the early triggers to be more precise - the one where you first encounter the wolves, and the tension music plays. I thought I was being very clever by lowering the height of the texture, so that it would go off earlier.

That worked okay, but then it also went off in a totally different place where it wasn't supposed to. So, I added another texture so that it would take two to trigger it, and of course, the other place already had that texture as well. So I had to find the right height of the second texture so that it would go off in the first location, but not the second.

I seem to recall Paul saying this takes a long time, and is kind of tedious. I think I know what he means. Still, it's good to be able to do it, and it's very clever the way it works. I'll try to work on some others from time to time.

I wonder if this is the reason that Paul didn't put a sound in for the gears moving when Lara pulls the lever in the end of the third level - perhaps because no textures change?

Reply 41 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is very tedious. You often have to make individual triggers quite general to deal with the variation in how Lara might approach a location, and then to stop spurius sounds you have to add further triggers for the same location.

I did add a trigger for the turning cogs by the way. Guess that's not working quite right then.

Reply 42 of 301, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slube, if your version of TR generates different texture mappings then presumably the texture packs don't work for you either (?). If you could send me your Glidos Texture maps then I will be able to include alternatives that will be compatible. I won't need the individual captured textures for this, just the numerically named folders and the "complete" texture map that each contains. I'll send you my e-mail address by PM if you are able to do this.

I will sort out and post my triggers for Tomb of Quolopec in a while, but there is a strong possibility that these won't work for you either at this stage. I was particularly pleased with the Larson trigger because this is working in perfect sync on my machine!

Also, I have discovered that my "ape room" trigger in St Francis' Folly gets triggered erroneously in some circumstances, so I will need to refine it!

Reply 43 of 301, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are triggers for Tomb of Qualopec level (minus audio files). Paul has placed a link to the complete set of audio files elsewhere in this thread, however I have had to rename some of them to get them to work:

The list of tracks I was sent was very confusing as there are conflicting numbers all over the place, the ones used here are:

Locations - Qualopec-Boulder
= track 18 (which should be named "10Incidental" - no spaces and no quotation marks)

Locations - Qualopec-Chessroom
= track 23 ("16ShortishChorus")

Locations - Qualopec-Scion
= track 13 ("05TheHive")

Locations - Qualopec-Larson
= track 8 ("22Larson" - was formerly named "22 track 22")

I remember complaining to Paul that figuring out which track was which was almost as time consuming as re-texturing a level!
Paul had set the triggers for the Boulder and the Chessroom and sent me those, but I had to add another trigger to the Chessroom to stop it from going off when Lara falls down into the wolf pit - seems to be fixed now!

Attachments

• Filename
    ToQ Audio.zip
    File size
    4.64 KiB
    Downloads
    654 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 44 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did add a trigger for the turning cogs by the way. Guess that's not working quite right then.

Well that's strange. The reason I said there wasn't one there is because I didn't see one. The only ones I saw for Lost Valley were:

LostValley-Bridge
LostValley-Gear1
LostValley-Gear2
LostValley-Rex

Was there supposed to be another one? If there is, maybe it does work for me.

Reply 46 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if your version of TR generates different texture mappings then presumably the texture packs don't work for you either (?).

Well actually, they do seem to work. I think, as Paul said earlier, it's the case that I have the same textures, they're just arranged differently. That would account for me seeing the right textures, but the triggers not working.

If you could send me your Glidos Texture maps then I will be able to include alternatives that will be compatible.

I'm a little uncertain how to proceed here, but here's how Paul and I handled this earlier: I told him that some of the triggers didn't work for me, and then he wrote back (hope you don't mind the quote, Paul):

I could send you the textures that correspond to all the trigger files. Then if you run Glidos with "TextureOverride: Capture" set and visit the locations of those save games, you might see that they have different names or occur in different folders.

He posted the textures, and I responded with:

I tried the texture override. In some cases, the textures appeared right where they should, in the same folder, with the same filename, but [the trigger didn't work]. However, in three cases, the textures themselves didn't appear, and neither did the folders.

To which he responded:

Don't search for files of the right name. Put the folder in thumbnail mode and search for the correct picture. They will likely have different file names as well as being in a different folder.

This was the final resolution, which fixed the problem:

> Folder: 57A26AB453DED38FE830BB44A64A71F0 - My folder: > 7295BF4EF4747A068CF44C7A7BB4298F, filename: (176--240)(168--200).bmp […]
Show full quote

> Folder: 57A26AB453DED38FE830BB44A64A71F0 - My folder:
> 7295BF4EF4747A068CF44C7A7BB4298F, filename: (176--240)(168--200).bmp

Great! Okay, using this one as an example. You will find that the "Audio"
folder also has a subfolder called 57A26AB453DED38FE830BB44A64A71F0, which contains a text file, with a name that matched the texture, except the extension being ".txt".
You should create a new subfolder of "Audio" called 7295BF4EF4747A068CF44C7A7BB4298F. Then make a copy of the file in Audio\57A26AB453DED38FE830BB44A64A71F0, putting it in Audio\7295BF4EF4747A068CF44C7A7BB4298F, and lastly rename that new file to (176--240)(168--200).txt

If you do that with each of the mismatches, everything should work.

This solved the problem, so perhaps it's what we should do in this case, starting with you sending me the textures of the trigger files.

Reply 48 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's my trigger for the wall of cogs thing. Should have been in the archive I provided a link to. Not sure how it got lost.

Attachments

• Filename
    LostValley-lever.zip
    File size
    543.42 KiB
    Downloads
    679 downloads
    File comment
    Wall of cogs audio trigger for Lost Valley
    File license

Reply 49 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is an interesting example because it shows how a single texture can be used as several triggers, in this case each trigger being for the same location.

Note also the veto trigger. This stops the sound going off if Lara is in view.
I think I told people -1 was used as veto. It seems it is actually 0.

Reply 50 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good news. It seems most of the triggers are now working, though I don't know why they didn't work before.

Qualopec-boulder: working
Qualopec-chessroom: a few steps late, but working
Qualopec-Scion: not working
Qualopec-Larson: works perfectly
Folley-ApeRoom: not working
Folley-TheFolley: working, though a few steps early
Folley-Thor: working
Folloy-Neptune: working though a few steps late

Some of the early and late ones might need a little tweak, or perhaps that's the texture difference again. The only ones that are really not working are Qualopec-Scion and Folley-ApeRoom, and of course, the earlier gear one from Lost Valley, which doesn't seem to be in my folder.

Reply 51 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's my trigger for the wall of cogs thing. Should have been in the archive I provided a link to. Not sure how it got lost.

Sorry about my later post. I should have checked for new posts before I posted the other one. I guess we're all on at the same time. Okay, that gear one works!

Interesting veto trigger. How does it know to use the trigger, since there are already four triggers that have been tripped? Does it have something to do with the folder the veto trigger is in?

Reply 52 of 301, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are the trigger textures for the 2 levels - you may need trial and error in qualopec because some textures are duplicated in different folders in that level!

Attachments

• Filename
    Trigger Textures.zip
    File size
    89.89 KiB
    Downloads
    598 downloads
    File license

Reply 53 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slube wrote:

Interesting veto trigger. How does it know to use the trigger, since there are already four triggers that have been tripped? Does it have something to do with the folder the veto trigger is in?

It works by 0 being a special case. If not all of triggers 1,2,3,4 have tripped then a 0 trigger has no effect, but if all of 1,2,3,4 have tripped then the tripping of a 0 trigger will stop the sound.

So if you had 6 conditions, lets call them A,B,C,D,E,F with trigger numbers as follows

A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 0
F 0

then the sound plays if A and B and C and D and not E and not F.

Reply 54 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mmm, I'm lost here.

I can't figure out how the track numbering is supposed to work. Where does the 05 in 05TheHive come, if it's actually track 13 in the PSX version? Which track number is 06RevelationMusic? Why 04Ambient1 and 04Ambient3 share the same track number? I don't have my PSX version at hand to check but this sounds very confusing to me.

Reply 55 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I'm not mistaken, it has something to do with the fact that the PSX and PC tracks are being blended together. In some cases, there's one track that's one number on the PSX, and another on the PC. Then, you might have a track from the PC and a track from the PSX which are the same number, but different sounds, and both used. Some of the names I came up with just as a descriptive tool, and Paul used them.
Another potential source of confusion is that the first track on the PSX is unplayable, so numbering actually starts at 2.
It might make sense to post an official numbering chart, indicating the name of the track as it's used in the audiopacks, and the track number on the PSX or PC disc.

Reply 56 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are the trigger textures for the 2 levels - you may need trial and error in qualopec because some textures are duplicated in different folders in that level!

Okay, I think I might be starting to get the hang of this.

First, the easy one, the scion:

Add the following folder to your audio folder:
AAFF0D952387A9E3EACF5350DBF055A3
and put this file in it:
(176--224)(16--32).txt
The text of the file should be:
Trigger: Locations\Qualopec-Scion 1
This will enable the trigger in my version. It's the same texture you used, but in a different folder.

The other trigger for the ApeRoom is more problematic. Looking at the textures you sent me, am I correct in noticing that one of those textures is actually the torso of an ape? If so, that won't work for me, because in my savegame, I've already killed the apes, even though I haven't stepped on the trigger yet. After a great deal of experimentation, I found two triggers that were in the room that were not before the room (at least in my version):

3950CED5E8A35F99502BDFB595EC5F8A
(64--128)(32--64).txt
Trigger: Locations\Folly-ApeRoom 1

674DD870CCF44FCCC645C751A47FC7EB
(109--128)(66--128).txt
Trigger: Locations\Folly-ApeRoom 2

Though they may appear elsewhere in the game. Actually, you can still trip them if you go really close to the door.

Even this isn't ideal because although this is where the trigger is is the PSX, it should actually be exactly when you step across the threshold onto the edge of the rug, because that's when the apes go after you. I tried to get a unique texture there, but I was unable to.

Reply 57 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

Mmm, I'm lost here.

I can't figure out how the track numbering is supposed to work. Where does the 05 in 05TheHive come, if it's actually track 13 in the PSX version? Which track number is 06RevelationMusic? Why 04Ambient1 and 04Ambient3 share the same track number? I don't have my PSX version at hand to check but this sounds very confusing to me.

Hmmm, it is confusing. Maybe we should sort out the names as one of the first jobs. If someone can work out what the renamings are, I could make an updated set of tracks available for download. Then everybody can work from the same thing.

Reply 58 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe we should sort out the names as one of the first jobs.

A long time ago, when I was mapping the savegames, I thought it was going to be necessary to create a physical CD for the program to read from, and since we were going to use sounds from both the PSX and the PC cd's, I created a mapping for a Hybrid CD, which incorporates both the cd's into one set of tracks. I can post it here so that you can change the track names, or anybody can create their own hybrid tracks if they have the PSX and PC cd's. Should I go ahead and post it?