VOGONS

Common searches

Audiopack revival

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
people using it should be careful because some ways of working make the track numbers come out wrong by 1.

I think that's because I started the numbering with track 2 because the original idea was to make an actual cd, and neither the PSX nor the PC accesses track 1. I've changed that, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Here's the tracklist. Since I can't seem to make tabs work, the format for this table will be:

• Track name -- Source track

01maintitile -- PC track 2 or PSX track 2
    02ambient -- PC track 3 or PSX Track 5
    03rain -- PC track 4
    04wind -- PC track 5
    05heartbeat -- PC track 6
    06natla -- PC track 7 or PSX track 22
    07larson -- PC track 8 or PSX track 23
    08scion -- PC track 9 or PSX track 24
    09hierogliph -- PC track 10 or PSX track 25
    10revelationchorus1 -- PSX track 3
    11maintitle2 -- PSX track 4
    12chase1 -- PSX track 6
    13revelation1 -- PSX track 7
    14tension1 -- PSX track 8
    15atmospheric -- PSX track 9
    16revelation2 -- PSX track 10
    17incidental1 -- PSX track 11
    18incidental2 -- PSX track 12
    19shortsound -- PSX track 14
    20shortchorus1 -- PSX track 15
    21tension2 -- PSX track 16
    22shortchorus2 -- PSX track 17
    23ominouschorus -- PSX track 18
    24revelationchorus2 -- PSX track 19
    25chase2 -- PSX track 20
    26revelation3 -- PSX track 21

Where tracks were on both CD's, I listed both of them. I left out all the tracks from the PSX that are not used; many of them are in the training at Lara's Home, but are handled internally by the program.
Let me know if it's in any way confusing.

Edit: Sorry, I had to change a couple of the track names just now because I realized that track 26 is actually a reprise of track 16. Hopefully they're right now.

Last edited by slube on 2005-11-14, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 61 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe the tracks in the archive Audio.zip - which I provided a link to - includes all those. If someone could tell me the renamings I have yet to do, I can apply them and refresh the archive.

The archive isn't available from that url any longer, but I can put it back.

Reply 62 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If someone could tell me the renamings I have yet to do, I can apply them and refresh the archive.

I think because of the change in track numbers, probably all of them will have to be renamed. I actually have them all ripped and renamed, so I could send you the pack, assuming my email doesn't take out the attachment, which it tends to do (safety feature).

Reply 63 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They don't necessarily have to be renamed to be exactly the same names as you give, just so long as its clear which is which. There's some advantage in not renaming the ones I've already used because otherwise the already released audiopack needs updating... I could do that though.

Still the renamings would be the most usueful thing in the form

oldname1 newname1
oldname2 newname2

because with that I can with fair ease automate the updating of the part I've already done.

Reply 64 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still the renamings would be the most usueful thing in the form

oldname1 newname1
oldname2 newname2

Here are the ones I have. It's not all of them, because I never dowloaded the full pack but it should be most:

Oldname -- Newname

01Theme -- 01maintitile
02RevelationChorus -- 10revelationchorus1
03Ambient2 -- 03rain
03Title2 -- 11maintitle2
04Ambient1 -- 02ambient
04Ambient3 -- 04wind
05Ambient4 -- 05heartbeat
05TheHive -- 12chase1
06RevelationMusic -- 13revelation1
07Tension -- 14tension1
08Atmospheric -- 15atmospheric
10Incidental -- 17incidental1
11Incidental2 -- 18incidental2
14ShortChorus -- 20shortchorus1
15Tension2 -- 21tension2
16ShortishChorus -- 22shortchorus2
17OminousChorus -- 23ominouschorus
22Larson -- 07larson

Reply 65 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recomposing a "virtual" tracklist is, IMHO, really not necessary. Here we're dealing with MP3 files for use with Glidos, not CD tracks that are going to be burnt on a disc...

The way I see it, maintenance would be much more simplified if we'd just stick with the PSX tracklist (from 02 to 25), since all but three tracks are coming from the PSX version anyway.

The only PC tracks we really need to implement are 04Cistern_PC, 05Wind_PC and 06Heartbeat_PC. Appending the "_PC" suffix to those three tracks should be enough to prevent confusion with the rest of the PSX tracklist.

My two cents.

Reply 66 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know. I think we'll run into confusion if we don't name the files to match Slube's usage in the mapping out of the game positions. That list above is a good start. I'll see if I can finish it off tomorrow evening and post an updated archive.

Reply 67 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another thing I'm curious about: why do the Background triggers in the alphanumerical folders directly point to an MP3 file instead of a (more convenient) alias in the Locations folder, like all the other triggers (Caves-Dogs, etc)?

Reply 69 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just thinking that people may not want to go through and change all the locations in their files, so here's an updated texture reference and locations with the new names. I changed a couple of the triggers, and will probably tweak some more, but most of them should work.

Attachments

• Filename
    Locations.zip
    File size
    2.6 KiB
    Downloads
    518 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 70 of 301, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:
Sorry. Really busy at the moment, but I'll have a quick go at explaining it now. […]
Show full quote

Sorry. Really busy at the moment, but I'll have a quick go at explaining it now.

Firstly I have a collection of save games just before each sound should play, plus descriptions of what triggers it. This was put together for me by... ah, ah, forgotten the name - damn, he deserves acknowledgment for all that effort. I'll find out. But in any case, I can give you a copy of that.

Now, in the Audio folder there are the sort of folders you find in texture packs, plus two others, called Tracks and Locations. Tracks is pretty obvious its where the mp3s go. I have the lot here.

Locations has a file per instance of a sound in the game, so for example there is one called Caves-Steps for when you run up the steps before dropping through the floor where the lone wolf is. It says

Play: 2 Tracks\11Incidental2.mp3

That's pretty self explanatory except the number 2. The 2 means that there are two textures the appearence of which triggers the music. There's a convention: if there are 2 triggers then they are trigger 1, and trigger 2. If there are 3, then they are 1, 2, & 3. All of these triggering textures have to appear on the screen for the music to play. So you can tie down the particular place in the game by adding as many textures as you need. (Note you are able to specify where on the screen the texure appears not just that it is present).

You specify that a texture triggers a location in the same way you add an overriding texture: you add a file with a special name. The two files for Caves-Steps are

54637C4BF0304439B63F51D3A5EEA382\(232--256)(88--136).txt

and

6C7FE41E229619C7ACDED8A8538E3F4E\(144--208)(96--160).txt

The first contains

Trigger: Locations\Caves-Switch 1
Check: width < 2
Check: height < 2

That says that the texture the strange name cooresponds to is trigger No 1 for the Caves-Switch location, and it applies only if the texture appears in such a way that its width on screen (a 640x480 screen) is less than 2 pixels, and its height is less than two pixels.

The second contains something similar, plus another set of lines because it is actually a trigger for two different locations.

Does that sort of explain it?

I also noticed that some triggers say something like "Check: right", that would be for measuring the distance between the texture and the right side of the screen, right?

Reply 71 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also noticed that some triggers say something like "Check: right", that would be for measuring the distance between the texture and the right side of the screen, right?

That's my guess, but I'm finding it more complicated (and Paul can probably eludicate on this): I often find that the program "sees" textures that I can't. If I make a trigger based on the textures I see on the screen, and then try it out, the sound will often be triggered long before I get there. This is because the program has already seen the texture, even if I haven't.

It seems like the only way to really know what textures are encountered by the program is to use capture, and then find out what textures in gets in what areas.

If I want to trigger a sound in a doorway, I can walk up to the doorway while capturing. But then I have to save that folder, and go all around the room before the doorway, capturing there as well. Then I have to compare the two captures, and see if I can come up with any textures that are in the room that are not outside, which can often be difficult.

Because of this problem, it seems to me that using controls to tell where the texture is can be complicated. Are these controls based on what I'm seeing, or are they based on what the program is "seeing"?

Reply 72 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may just be a matter of spatial convention.

Logically, I think the coordinates use an absolute reference point which is the bottom left of your 640x480 screen. Thus, "check: right < 400" would mean "check that the right edge of the texture is located no farther than 400 pixels to the right from the reference point", not "check that there are less than 400 pixels between the right edge of the texture and the right border of the screen".

But the reference point could perfectly be the top left of the screen as well -- that's how the individual textures are actually located inside the "complete.bmp", from top left to bottom right.

This is wild guess from me here, I'm very new at the audio stuff 😀

Reply 73 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slube wrote:

I was just thinking that people may not want to go through and change all the locations in their files, so here's an updated texture reference and locations with the new names. I changed a couple of the triggers, and will probably tweak some more, but most of them should work.

Ah, sorry, I obviously didn't explain: this is already changed in the archive I've provided a link to... although I include only my own files; maybe you have others. I used unix shell scripts to apply name changes listed in a file, so it should be typo free.

Reply 74 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

It may just be a matter of spatial convention.

Logically, I think the coordinates use an absolute reference point which is the bottom left of your 640x480 screen. Thus, "check: right < 400" would mean "check that the right edge of the texture is located no farther than 400 pixels to the right from the reference point", not "check that there are less than 400 pixels between the right edge of the texture and the right border of the screen".

That is precisely correct (subject to origin position).

But the reference point could perfectly be the top left of the screen as well -- that's how the individual textures are actually located inside the "complete.bmp", from top left to bottom right.

Truth is I can't remember where the origin is positioned. It is either top right or bottom left. I think the latter, but not sure.

Reply 75 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slube wrote:

Actually, how would you feel about my deleting this? 😦 Thing is, there could be some small difference between your locations and mine, and if some people start from one and some another, we are going to get confusing results, especially when merging it all.

Reply 76 of 301, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, how would you feel about my deleting this?

That's no problem, you can go ahead and delete it. I just wanted to make sure people weren't having to go through and change their location names, and all the files that the background triggers point to.

I actually have changed some of the triggers, and they work better for me, though maybe not for others. But I imagine that's something that will be tweaked until they work the most like the game. It's not quite like making new textures; that's more artistic. This is really just a matter if they work the way they're supposed to.

On the other hand, perhaps people will add new triggers, and maybe in Unfinished Business as well.

Reply 77 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
slube wrote:

maybe in Unfinished Business as well.

Funny you mention it, because that's what I'm trying my hand at 😀

An interesting and creative exercise, since the job here consists in imagining triggers which never existed in the PSX version (of course). I've already restored the title theme and the background tracks in the four levels (Return to Egypt, Temple of the Cat, Atlantean Stronghold and The Hive). In the tradition of the regular levels, I shall limit myself to five triggers or so per level (although the Gold levels are much longer).

I've decided to use the free online release instead of the Gold CD for various reasons: it's easier to get (and eventually redistribute) than the CD release, and the infamous Sold Out edition doesn't have any soundtrack. The structure of the alphanumerical folders might differ between the two releases, though.

Reply 78 of 301, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slube wrote:

Actually, how would you feel about my deleting this?

That's no problem, you can go ahead and delete it. I just wanted to make sure people weren't having to go through and change their location names, and all the files that the background triggers point to.

I've uploaded my Locations.zip over the top of yours, so there is still a way for them to get the locations without all the tracks.

I actually have changed some of the triggers, and they work better for me, though maybe not for others. But I imagine that's something that will be tweaked until they work the most like the game. It's not quite like making new textures; that's more artistic. This is really just a matter if they work the way they're supposed to.

Ah, maybe I should take those on. If you feel fairly sure they are improvements, I'll put yours in place of mine in Audio.zip

Reply 79 of 301, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Paul, here are the triggers for the title music and the ambient tracks in Unfinished Business. Feel free to include them in your Audio pack.

Good news for the potential retexturers, both online and CD versions seem identical. As far as I can tell from the few tests I ran on the four levels, there's only one diverging folder: the one with the passport bitmaps on the title screen.

TRUB online version: 6018E6431FA65017D0F703FC8E60D589
TRUB CD version: 812A0881E08ACB7A9D6A3DD26A62753D

[Edit] I simplified the title trigger, now the archive only has three folders instead of four. They can be safely copied into the official Audio directory -- TR1 and TRUB will happily coexist. Please note that this archive only restores the ambient tracks.

Attachments

• Filename
    Audio_TRUB.zip
    File size
    658 Bytes
    Downloads
    383 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Kaminari on 2005-11-19, 07:45. Edited 5 times in total.