VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Carmageddon has to be one of my all-time favourite PC racing games ever, and the prospect of being able to play it in full 3D with sound on my current PC is indeed very alluring, but there are some aspects of the Glidos support that I would like to address before I take the plunge and buy a regcode.

1. Will there be continuing support for Carmageddon, whereby future versions will include the Rear-Vision Mirror in Cockpit view, or Mini-POV display on the Map Screen. Both are missing in Glidos, but present in Software mode.

2. Will my purchase of a valid regkey continue to be supported even if I:
- Upgrade to a new Glidos Version
- Install Glidos on a new computer, or after a format.

3. Can Glidos be UNinstalled. Since it has fused itself with my system, I can't use any other wrapper, nor remove it from the computer manually (without extreme measures). I'd like to think that glidos would be an optional extra for my system, not a quasi virus.

4. Since I live in Australia, my contribution of $10US equates to almost double that after the exchange rate. Are there any considerations for this, or is my price literally doubled due to my geographic location?

5. Does Glidos support Carmageddon expansions, such as Splat Pack or community modifications?

Since I'm basically buying Carmageddon again at a 'budget' price, just to play it on my current PC, it does seem petty to ask some of the aforementioned questions, but since Glidos is not a finished/polished product, I am wary to go through the convolution of signing up to paypal and making a payment, etc, if I'm not going to get the best out of it.

Please know that I have a fully functional version of Glidos, unregistered, working with Carmageddon on my current system - but the removal of the Glidos text is necessary for proper enjoyment.

I would also encourage that, although I am willing to pay for the use of Glidos, since I also get Tomb Raider support 'thrown in' - I believe that glidos could better support the community by either being free, or a little more user-friendly in it's delivery.

Answers to these questions, plus any other information deemed necessary can be posted either here, or forwarded to rico_stallion@hotmail.com

Thank you for your support. I hope that I can make a purchase in the near future.

Reply 1 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not really the guy to be answering this, but Paul is doing this in his spare time and might take a while to get back to get to you.

Originally posted by Unregistered 2. Will my purchase of a valid regkey continue to be supported even if I:
- Upgrade to a new Glidos Version

Entering the proper key will generate a specific file. So long as you keep a copy of that file in the GliDOS directory, it will continue to work in the newer versions.

- Install Glidos on a new computer, or after a format.

Contact Paul at payproblem@glidos.net for a new key and he'll email it to you.

3. Can Glidos be UNinstalled. Since it has fused itself with my system, I can't use any other wrapper, nor remove it from the computer manually (without extreme measures). I'd like to think that glidos would be an optional extra for my system, not a quasi virus.

GliDOS CAN be uninstalled and does NOT "fuse" itself with your OS. Using the standard installation directory on the C: drive, this is what it does:

Folder 'C:\Program Files\Glidos' added.
Folder 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs' added.
Folder 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local' added.
Folder 'C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Glidos' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Docs.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\ackno.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\baron.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\carma.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\carma.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\descent.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\descent2.jpg' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\download.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\dreams.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\dreams.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\extreme.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\extreme.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\glidos.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\gta.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\gta.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\index.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\install.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\links.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\purchase.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\redgrd.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\redguard.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smbridge.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smcarma.jpg' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smdesc.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smdreams.jpg' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smextr.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smgta.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smlara.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smmidas.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smredgrd.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\smsphinx.JPG' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\support.html' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Docs\Local\x-click-but02.gif' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\epipdlg1.vxd' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\gldpipe1.vxd' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\gldvesa.exe' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Glide2x.dll' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Glide2x.ovl' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Glidos.exe' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Glidos.ini' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Glidos.pif' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\GlidosF.pif' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\Msvcrt.dll' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\OpenGLid.ini' added.
File 'C:\Program Files\Glidos\PollPipe.dll' added.
File 'C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Glidos.lnk' added.
File 'C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Glidos\Glidos.lnk' added.

If any of these files are "in use" when you try to delete them, the OS will not let you. To remove, you delete the GliDOS directory, then delete the start menu entry and the Desktop Icon.

... but since Glidos is not a finished/polished product, I am wary...

*cough* Since there are no other DOS Glide emulators out there, I have to wonder what you are comparing this to...

...since I also get Tomb Raider support 'thrown in'

Quite the other way around. It was originally made for the first "Tomb Raider". Once Paul had made it's emulation (and improved it in the process), he looked at other titles and added support for them.

I believe that glidos could better support the community by either being free, ...

Much like I would be supported better by all my software being free. You may think this is a subtle hint. It's not.

...a little more user-friendly in it's delivery.

Download. Double-click. Click. Install Carmageddon. Patch the game for 3dfx support. Not difficult.

Paul will need to be the one to address the remaining questions.

Reply 2 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

Thanks for the answers to a couple of my questions. Thanks also for your amazing show of overly witty sarcasm.

It was nice of you to give me a list of Glidos components, but an uninstall feature would have been great, too. As a long time windows user, it's quite disconcerting when a program has no untinstall entry under add/remove, and then renaming the install directory fails to affect the operation of the program. Scary.

Since I'm coming at this thing from a Carmagedon standpoint, Tombraider is an optional extra to me. Since I found Glidos from the tombraiderchronicles.com website, it was pretty damned obvious what the authors intentions were. Which means mine are different. Wahoo.

Glidos is far from flawless. If it were, it'd be a wonderful program. Being a constant 'work in progress', I'm wanting to make sure that I'm getting my money's worth. Well, I *am*, since regkeys carry over to new versions. That's great. I'm happy.

I'm also *not* saying I had difficulty getting Glidos to run with Carmageddon. Quite the contrary, it worked first go with no problems, and it even fixed software crash problems and the like. Wonderful. The problem with 'user friendly' comes when you have to edit the .ini file to change the directory Glidos looks in to access the game. For some unknown reason, by default, it looks under /intrply/carma or some such rot. Interplay didn't have jack to do with Carmageddon, and it's not even the default install directory. That option should be editable in the front-end, where the other options are. That's one example.

It's the little things that make Glidos seem a touch unprofessional, and I'd like nothing more than to see it overcome these (I'm not going to call them bugs, 'cause they're not) discrepancies. Paying my $10 to see that happen is worth it, since subsequent versions are automatically registered through the method you just described.
Although the ten bucks won't guarantee me a new version at any time in the future, nor guarantee that my Carmageddon issues will be addressed, it's still a nice way of geting Carnageddon back into play without having to set up my P200/Monster Fusion. An option I don't have to pay for...

Still to be addressed (even if they are done sarcastically and with a disregard for my willingnes to pay money here) are questions:

4. Since I live in Australia, my contribution of $10US equates to almost double that after the exchange rate. Are there any considerations for this, or is my price literally doubled due to my geographic location?

5. Does Glidos support Carmageddon expansions, such as Splat Pack or community modifications?

Thanks for the info, guys. It's nice to know that there is a bit of community support for Glidos. It's quite good, and I'd love to see it quite perfect.

Reply 3 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know Nicht already answered SOME of these, but here are my responses.

1. Paul is actively working with Fabio, the other developer of OpenGLide, to correct these missing features. However, I imagine that those are done by overlay, which isn't something that is in the OpenGL API and therefore is rather slow to render (if memory and logic serve me). You can always try the latest version of the OpenGLide DLL with your current version of GliDOS to see if these things have been resolved (just plop it into place).
2. Yes. Upgrading hardware will change your system hash, however, so you'll need to contact Paul (or myself) to get a new key when you do that.
3. Like Nicht said, no fusing. After you delete the GliDOS folder, if some stuff in Windows still finds the Glide API, check to see if there is a copy of Glide2x.dll hanging around in your %WINDOWS%\SYSTEM32 directory. Other than that, as I said, there is no fusage. 😀
4. I'm uncertain. I imagine that it'll still cost US$10 (since I'm certain there have been brits that have bought it for US$10 which is only ~£5), but Paul might be willing to work something out, so you might try contacting him.
5. Yes. Since they all use the same engine, Splat Pack will (uh, read: should) work. If it doesn't, be sure to post your problems here along with your system specs, level on which it occurs, anything you can think of that is about the same when it occurs, et cetera, and of course we'll endeavour to help you out.

Certainly when you say things are unprofessional I agree. I mean, this IS a pet project done by one guy in his spare time. 😀

Interplay was the publisher of Carmageddon, at least here in the US, which is why you've got the Interplay directory reference. While I agree it would be nice to have stuff in the GUI to change these things and, I admit, I couldn't figure out where to change the directory that it looked in at first (I hadn't looked at the files GliDOS had installed so I didn't know it was just an INI file away 😜), it is rather nice that it's as customizable as it is. 😀

Don't mind Nicht, by the way. The long hard months of coddling n00bs here has turned him a bit sour. 😉 (I'm not calling you a n00b -- don't infer this, please.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

Thanks for the feedback. It'll go a long way to my final decision. I've been playing Carmageddon with Glidos in place for a while now, and I've experienced some interesting quirks as far as crashing goes, but it *is* a job well done when all is said and told.

I suppose the choice of diction in my original post was a little, uh, inaccurate, (especially the 'fuse' part) and I appologise for being a tad misleading (and n00bish).

I also didn't know about Carma being distributed by Interplay. That's alien to me since UK/AU relations are quite different, due to that whole 'Commonwealth' thing. Don't mind me, I'm just Australian. 😉

Thanks for putting up with the questions. I'd like to see a good FAQ or some info distributed wit the Glidos install, just so that we don't all have to figure this stuff out for ourselves every time (like the installation log and default directories thing)

Perhaps a hardy, quasi-comprehensive version would be a viable store-bought graphics application. Allowing people to play old 3DfX games (and old games which now have patches) would be a great bargain. Many old games are still very fun to play, and if the CD had a unique request code for the regkey, and also a bunch of the most popular 3DfX upgrade patches, it'd be a blast to have in stores.
Probably a bit of wishful thinking, knowing how the industry works and all.

Cheers.

--RS

Reply 5 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Thanks also for your amazing show of overly witty sarcasm.

Was going for "gritty", but "C'est la Vie".

It was nice of you to give me a list of Glidos components, but an uninstall feature would have been great, too.

If you look at the list, you'll see that just deleting the GliDOS directory does everything needed. The desktop and Start menu shortcuts would just be dead end links, no effect on your system. Of course, considering how GliDOS works, just leaving it in it's directory and not using isn't going to be harming anything either. (I believe the reverse may be true however, if there is a different Glide DLL in your Windows directory and it's accessed before using GliDOS, it would probably create a DLL conflict for titles using GliDOS.)

As a long time windows user, it's quite disconcerting when a program has no uninstall entry under add/remove,

I highly recommend a tool like Cleansweep to monitor Windows program installations. While the Add/Remove option is always good to have, it is quite frequently "not entirely truthful". You are completely depending on the program's author to undo exactly what they changed when their program was installed and quite often you will get a "minimal" uninstall, leaving behind DLL's, directories, and (pet peeve of mine) registry entries.

Sometimes this is just because the author is "playing it safe" (the DLL it leaves might be used by something else), but frequently it's a shareware program leaving a record of it's installation or just plain sloppiness. Paul's install is pretty tidy. Many Windows installers aren't.

... and then renaming the install directory fails to affect the operation of the program. Scary.

That's because Paul's program is not like many "bloatware" programs that tie themselves into your registry and your operating system's associations, it's small and contained within the GliDOS directory. The only thing that might "break" would be the desktop or start menu shortcuts (you would need to re-create the shortcuts or point the old ones to the new directory). Not scary. Honest.

Since I found Glidos from the tombraiderchronicles.com website, it was pretty damned obvious what the authors intentions were. Which means mine are different. Wahoo.

My point is that GliDOS supports multiple titles. Carmageddon fans want concentration on their favorite title, Redguard fans want theirs to take precedence, Grand Theft Auto fans want theirs at the top-of-the-list for improvements, etc... Paul is doing this by himself, so any time spent on one title means he won't have time to work on another.

He has already had a couple of tangent projects that ate up a serious chunk of programming time: the Glide version of Blood and "Red Baron 3D". The Blood tangent kind of died on it's own because after all the time spent on it, it was still arguable if the 3dfx version was actually better than the software version and "Red Baron 3D" fans swarmed all over him like vampire bats when they found that his modified Glide DLL allowed RB3D to run without a Voodoo card.

Fortunately, GoldFinger has taken up work on the actual wrapper (with good support from members like CraigG, Dominus, DosFreak, Kaminari, and LSD), allowing Paul a little more "breathing room".

Glidos is far from flawless.

We're not saying that, especially not Paul. To get "flawless" emulation, you have to emulate an entire PC, complete with adjustable processor speed and full emulation of the Voodoo chipset amongst other things. Due to the different ways DOS Glide titles worked, full emulation of a particular title might not be possible. To get these titles working in a Windows environment without an actual Voodoo 1 video card, Paul has to jump through numerous hoops and sometimes...break a few rules in the process.

Having said all that, there is a memory issue with GliDOS+Carmageddon, so you might want to read this post:
showthread.php?threadid=1023

The problem with 'user friendly' comes when you have to edit the .ini file to change the directory Glidos looks in to access the game. For some unknown reason, by default, it looks under /intrply/carma or some such rot. Interplay didn't have jack to do with Carmageddon,

As Snover has already explained, Interplay handled Carmageddon's distribution in the USA, so that undoubtedly is the default directory installation for the Interplay release.

(Funny thing is, Paul's in the U.K., but he ended up with the American version)

That option should be editable in the front-end, where the other options are.

That would need extra code and bloat the program accordingly, and would only be needed for non-default installations. Also remember that it's exclusively for DOS titles: DOS games on modern PC's (especially within Windows) are going to need tweaking for them to work properly on "modern" PC's. That’s going to involve messing with .CFG, .INI and .BAT files and the like. Most gamers with a love for DOS titles are already familiar with doing that so there hasn’t been much call for that kind of feature. Of course Pauls the programmer so he probably has a thing or two to say about that...

4. Since I live in Australia, my contribution of US equates to almost double that after the exchange rate....

We can't really answer that as Paul is the sole programmer and he's in the U.K. and we're (mostly) in the U.S.A. There might be an easier way of going from Australian dollars to British pounds, but the maze-like process of international monetary exchange makes me doubt it.

"NoGood" (a member of the board) is only one to have mentioned it, but didn't say whether or not it worked.

P.S.
No angry emails from outraged "RedBaron 3D" fans please.
No angry emails from outraged vampire bats either, please.

Reply 6 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ...check to see if there is a copy of Glide2x.dll hanging around in your %WINDOWS%\SYSTEM32 directory.

And if there is, GliDOS didn't put it there.

Don't mind Nicht, by the way. The long hard months of coddling n00bs here has turned him a bit sour.

Nah. It was just that the claim that GliDOS had "fused" his OS, combined with the particulars wanted, then the reference of being free for the good of the "community"... Well, lets just say it had the scent of a NEW kind of RAIDER issue, if you know what I mean...

Reply 7 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

Good Lord. Did a Moderator just make a double-post? Tut Tut.

You may lose sales with that attitude of yours, mate.

No harm intended on my part, it's just that projects like Vavoom (a different kettle of fish, I know) are free, so it seemed that a 'sparetime' project should be treated as such. The 'Two levels free' idea is good, though.

Reply 8 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I've been playing Carmageddon with Glidos in place for a while now, and I've experienced some interesting quirks as far as crashing goes,..

*argh* Took to long to post. Well hopefully you've already read about the memory issue with Carmageddon.

...being a tad misleading...

Not a problem. I think we just had a little misunderstanding going on and I hope you understand "where I was coming from". Paul has been the one hope for old DOS Glide titles, so I sometimes come off something like a "Bouncer" if I smell someone trying to "milk" something off of him. I've seen programmers just bail on projects because of things like that. If Paul ever gets run over by a lorry or something we're sunk. Hrmm. Hope I didn't just trigger a *jinx* factor.

That's alien to me since UK/AU relations are quite different, due to that whole 'Commonwealth' thing. Don't mind me, I'm just Australian.

What?! You're telling me that the U.K. and Australia aren't tight as a knot?!
Pull the other one!

Perhaps a hardy, quasi-comprehensive version would be a viable store-bought graphics application.

Not sure the numbers would support it and the biggest problem would be various companies trying to figure how they could hit up Paul for a share of the profits or deny him distribution (actually, that would probably be the company lawyers, not the programmers).

Reply 9 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm with Nicht, all the way on this one.

Good Lord. Did a Moderator just make a double-post? Tut Tut.

No harm intended on my part, it's just that projects like Vavoom (a different kettle of fish, I know) are free, so it seemed that a 'sparetime' project should be treated as such. The 'Two levels free' idea is good, though.

I personally think it's your attitude that needs to change, not the mods. 🙄

As free as Vavoom may be, I'll bet any money they ..

1. Wouldn't put up with half the stuff Paul puts up with

2. Wouldn't come close to the support Paul puts in on these forums. And in the Yahoo groups, which you might not be aware of, but Paul's efforts to help even the newbies to PC's more than makes up for a meagre $10.

3. Lastly, Whats your other alternative on a modern PC ?

Glidos is amazing for what it does. It's not an emulator, more of a HLE style simulator that uses OpenGL as it's backbone.
If Paul wrote a true LLE emulator, a sort of software 3dfx voodoo card, then the emulation would be near perfect. Albeit slow on anything below 450 mhz roughly.
Just think of the money going towards YOUR enjoyment, and Pauls continued and valued support.
😀

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 10 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

Vavoom is a front end that runs Doom-engine games with DirectX and OpenGL, with full ethernet support, sound, 3D models and tons of other stuff. The community support is extremely good, and while I realise the projects are very, very different in concept and execution, it's still a source-forge 'spare time' community project. Maybe it's apples and oranges, perhaps not. Like I said, I am happy to pay for the product, it's just a new concept to pay for it.

Lastly, Whats your other alternative on a modern PC

Eh? I guess you're asking me what computer I'd be using to run Carmageddon on if I didn't get Glidos?
Well, I can put together a P200 with Win98 (or 3.11) with a Diamond Monster Fusion running daughter-board to some cheap a$$ 2D card. Either that, or try and locate my 2d/3d Banshee, which served me well until I bought my Voodoo 5, which would probably also work, come to think of it... I have a 128bit Creative board somewhere, or I could get my hands on an old SB16, I think. 8X CD Rom is still working... 6gb Hdd. Yeah. I think I have all the components I need. Motherboard may warrant a hunt...

The tech isn't a real problem for me, I was just looking for a way to skip the bull and jump right into the action. Heaps of the old 3DfX patched games were really neat with the amped graphics, and taking the time to put together a system is like, what, 2 days if I have to look hard. Where as $10 bucks is five seconds on broadband and thankyouverymuch neta-o graphics here I come.

Well, whatever. Thanks for the attitude adjustment. I realise how attached you guys are to this project, so I'll leave you alone before I start some kind of flame war. I know you now hate this Vavoom thing, but you can check out their stuff at http://www.vavoom-engine.com - if you like playing Doom in true 3D, then have a look. Sorta like JDoom, only much more polished.

Kudos to the guys who helped out. Boo to those looking for some kind of digital fight. Sorry for being blunt. Since the community is representing sales here, you may want to ease back on the throttle a little bit.

My apologies for stirring up trouble here.
Signing Off.

Reply 11 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kudos to the guys who helped out. Boo to those looking for some kind of digital fight. Sorry for being blunt. Since the community is representing sales here, you may want to ease back on the throttle a little bit

Nobody is looking for a fight 🙄
But if you come to a nice friendly forum for the very first time, post a bit agressively, then as they say, First impressions last.

Thing is, nobody is questioning your tech, although your "Fuse" statement was way off.
And I meant running all these games on a modern PC, NOTHING to do with building an old PC.
I'll put money on you not getting much luck running 3dfx games on modern PCs. i.e. Athlon, P4, Geforce, Radeon, etc......

Well, whatever. Thanks for the attitude adjustment. I realise how attached you guys are to this project, so I'll leave you alone before I start some kind of flame war. I know you now hate this Vavoom thing, but you can check out their stuff at http://www.vavoom-engine.com - if you like playing Doom in true 3D, then have a look. Sorta like JDoom, only much more polished.

I think thats a bit childish, IMO. If you want to see flame wars then go to a console only forum and see the wars there. THATS flame wars.

Nobody has had a go at you. Christ, chill out.
And I use JDoom and all the Doomsday engine games.
My point was that, if you went to their forum with your original attitude you would been told to sling your hook. I've seen it.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 12 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Did a Moderator just make a double-post? Tut Tut.

? A double-post would be a duplicate. I did post to your reply post to Snover in order to explain some things.

If you read my second post, you would see numerous references to Paul, the programmer. We're just a collection of people who are are rather fond of his efforts and are trying to help where we can.

No harm intended on my part, it's just that projects like Vavoom (a different kettle of fish, I know) are free,...

Well the source code being available for the supported titles makes a big difference. Paul has to do this the hard way, no support/data from the original programmers, disassembly, and numerous animal sacrifices. I will say that I applaud Vavoom's author attempting to support "STRIFE" which had significant differences in it's source code compared to the original DOOM code. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's also what's going to cause him to give up on it

Was kidding about the animal sacrifices earlier...

Reply 13 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Vavoom is a front end that runs Doom-engine games...

Actually, it's a "source port", a replacement for the original game "engine".
He used the source data released for DOOM/Heretic/Hexen to create his own version of the game. The only thing he can't do is include the original .WAD files needed to actually play. That protects Id's original copyright.

...it's just a new concept to pay for it.

Well Paul's program is quite unique. Vavoom is one in a large collection of source ports. All the data on how the program works is in the source code released by Id/Raven. All the coder really needs to know is how to compile it for the specific OS that they are using. Paul doesn't have that luxury.

A better analogy would be the "Exult" project designed to make "Ultima VII" playable on modern PC's. It's a free project that has come up with a viable replacement, including some enhancements. Of course, that's also a team of people working together for four years to get to version 1.0 of their program for one game. Until recently, Paul's been doing this all by himself. At least now the wrapper portion is being handled elsewhere... the hard stuff still falls on Paul's shoulders.

Well, I can put together a P200 with Win98 (or 3.11) with a Diamond Monster Fusion running daughter-board...

Ultimately, that's the best solution for many old titles. Our concern is that, in the near future, this will not be a viable option. We need some way of preserving these older titles on newer hardware or they will just become memories and eventually lost in time when it's no longer possible to run them. I keep a test PC just for this purpose. It lets me see what the game is supposed to be like, and that info can be used to help find a way to preserve it. Once that hardware is gone (unless a solution has been found), so is the game.

...five seconds on broadband and thankyouverymuch neta-o graphics here I come.

You've got broadband? Is it becoming common yet, or are you just one of the lucky few?

I know you now hate this Vavoom thing,...

I don't think anyone hates it, it's just not a good analogy to compare it to GliDOS.

Sorta like JDoom, only much more polished.

Ah!! You dissed JDOOM! Heresy! Ok, I'm kidding (kind of) The DOOMSDAY engine is the one for me, I have yet to see anything that makes me want to leave it. Not fond of many of the 3D models, but fortunately they are optional.

Since the community is representing sales here,...

Paul may be shocked to find this out. Heh.

My apologies for stirring up trouble here.

Not a big deal. At least nobody did anything crazy like accuse the entire board of being part of a massive hoax, "tricking" people into using the program, and make delusional statements about vaporware, etc... *heh*

Hopefully, any further posts will be "swords-free".

Reply 14 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hey thanks for answering all these questions guys, while I haven't been able to find time to visit. I'm not sure what remains unanswered.

One thing that needs to be clear. Everyone but me here is being helpful just cos that's what they like to do. It is only me that gets any income from Glidos, so please don't give anybody a hard time for saying positivie things that might sound like a sales pitch.

About me selling Glidos. I'm not sure why I do. Originally I thought just perhaps it would bring in enough money to pay for the time I put in, and I could move off my real work into doing this sort of thing full time. Of course it comes nowhere close, but still I like to get a bit of cash back for my efforts. I suppose the bottom line is I think everyone should decide for themselves whether they charge for things they create.

The most important thing to know for a Carmageddon player is that there are one or two levels that don't work with Glidos, so you should take that into account when deciding on whether it is worth $10.

And I doubt if the mirror and stuff will ever get supported, because it sounds to me like they never made it into the 3dfx port, and so there is nothing I can do about it.

Anyway, please repost any unanswered questions.

Oh yeh, I don't do consessions. $10 is bugger all.