Tomb Raider Crash in Windows XP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow! This is a strange one.

Nice bit of tracing though. These last results suggest that the Glide version of TR is saving bad save games.

There are three different glide versions of TR. One is called the 3dfx version, the other two are known as voodoo, or vood rush versions. You can't use the 3dfx one, but you could try the other voodoo version. Not sure where you would find it, but if you can recognise it by the fact that it has a different size. The two possible sizes of the voodoo version are coded in the glidos.ini file.

Reply 21 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos Not sure where you would find it, but if you can recognise it by the fact that it has a different size. The two possible sizes of the voodoo version are coded in the glidos.ini file.

I thought that only applied to the "unfinished business" version, but I'll find my CD and check this.

Reply 22 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I can't find this 3rd executable. All I've seen, turns out to be either the plain 3dfx or the "Voodoo Rush".

I tested my own theory, and came up with different results. I successfully loaded save games from both, in both. However, as I said before, I don't trust using one in the other as they always led to an eventual crash.

Hrmm. Perhaps "Unregistered" could upload a GliDOS save file and I could try it out.

Reply 25 of 40, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The TRUB CD has a folder called 'Original' where you can find patches for various 3D cards; two of them are the generic 3dfx (1140735 KB, dated 02/97) and the Voodoo/Rush (873739 KB, dated 06/97) ones.

IIRC, the third one was a Voodoo 2 beta patch released by Eidos some time earlier before the Rush one. I think it's available at the Croft Times and TRC.

Reply 26 of 40, by Unregistered

User metadata

I am the one who originally posted this thread about my problems with Glidos. To quickly refresh: Tomb Raider would always crash and lock up at the end of the first level just as I walked through the final door. Well I had all but given up on the problem fearing it was hopeless. I registered Glidos but I didn't test it enough before paying the $10. I was sure I wasted my money but I accepted it as my fault. No problem. And soon I forgot everything.

Then yesterday I came across my copy of Tomb Raider and remembered everything from before. I also realized that I had updated my graphics card driver recently so I thought I'd give it another go; but soon the same problem occurred. No surprise. This time a strange passion overtook me. Because I downloaded the new version of PollPipe.dll I can easily Ctrl-Alt-Del out of the game unlike the horrors of the lock up before. I closed the program and tried it again. Same thing. And then, just one more time, I loaded the program. To my infinite joy and surprise this third time the second level loaded without any bother or lock up. It was like a dream. I was able to play through the level and no problems surfaced.

I have since played through to the third level. Strangely when I first load the program things will lock up. But if I keep Ctrl-Alt-Del-ing and then reloading eventually Tomb Raider will work fine.

It's very strange and I'm curious if this new information helps at all in finding a permanent fix for this problem.

Thanks again.

Reply 27 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht Sehr Gut, I've been conversing with you about the same thing on another thread, in Eddie's Computer....PC. This fellow, has the EXACT same problem as I do. I have different hardware than him, but Windows XP is doing the same thing. The only thing different for me, was my original download of Glidos worked, except I couldn't hear the game noises, only the CD music. VDMSound problem?

I tried to fix that, that is when all the other stuff happened. Everything worked perfectly up until the end of the 1st level, locked up, ditto, ditto, ditto. Uninstalled, reinstalled, ditto, ditto, no avail.

I downloaded the file Paul shared, to stop NTVDM from locking up my PC also, and it works. TR is working again, not locking up my PC, but I have no sound. Paul, if you're out there, I've downloaded the newest Glidos version, originally had 1.19, now I have my logo back again, and I did pay for using it. What can I do?

So is there a quick and easy answer? 😉 When I read the text for VDMSound, it says I should be able to 'run with VDMS' using the option with an icon. I did download the newest version of VDMS, but didn't get the icon option, and using the other one, I still get no sound. I think Glidos is working fine now, except for the logo reappearing, but not VDMS.

Okay, for something as simple as a game, we sure do get our panties in a twist (figuratively speaking), about getting it to work right! I thank you both for helping us. Waiting to hear from you.

Last edited by TeeJay on 2003-03-06, 08:25. Edited 1 time in total.

TeeJay

Reply 28 of 40, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, there's a lot of *fun* involved in getting DOS games working on modern computers, mainly because driver writers don't test much in that area.

To get rid of the logo, you just need to send another unlock request.

Reply 29 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Paul and Nicht Sehr Gut, I thought I had everything figured out....yeah right. I finally got VDMS working, Glidos was working, everything was great but I had the logo back. Easy fix, right? Requested unlock code again, Paul replied promptly (thanks Paul), and so I tried to start Glidos, I got the same error I was getting before, it looks like my PC is trying to load it, but it seems to have an application error. Conflict in hardware? Or software? I don't know where to begin to debug, I am hoping you fellas have an idea where to look, what file to adjust or what to turn on/off. I've attached a screen print of the error msg, report, and tech info, so you can see what it is doing. (can I send 3 attachments?) If I can't, I'll post additional with screen prints.

Can you help?😕

Attachments

• Filename
    errorscreen.jpg
    File size
    46.13 KiB
    Downloads
    190 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by TeeJay on 2003-03-07, 03:02. Edited 1 time in total.

TeeJay

Reply 30 of 40, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's weird. Paul do you have something set up to receive those debug dumps? That looks a lot like what MSIE has as far as a bug reporting thing. In fact, it looks EXACTLY like what MSIE has.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 34 of 40, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*heh* Well, that screenshot shows the MSIE bug reporter which, at least for MSIE, sends things to Microsoft.
If you didn't change that to go somewhere else, I can only imagine what Microsoft is doing with the data, especially considering the suspicious upcropping of problems with the release of DX9...😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 35 of 40, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't know it was possible to reroute those messages. I wouldn't know what to do with one anyway.

It has to be some difference in OpenGL implementations because most people don't se these crashes.

Reply 36 of 40, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why doesn't it crash NORMALLY, though? That reporter should only come up for MS products, specifically MSIE. Everything else should just crash with a "This program has done something bad and will be shut down. More details will be available as soon as I'm done dumping the segfault." Or if you have MSVC++, error BLAH at 0x... called from 0x... the memory could not be '[written/read]'."

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 37 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Paul and Snover,

You guys come up with anything I can try? I tried to updated my driver (ATI Rage 128 Pro 6.13.3268 to 6.13.3279) big difference there (sarcasm), but it wouldn't work, did download DirectX9, now instead of getting the screen half white, half black with the error messages, I just get a blank screen again, like my PC crashed.

Paul, you suggested I try using 1.19 again, instead of 1.20, what is the difference? I will check your site and see if I can download it again. I can't find the old version on my PC.

I am willing to buy a new graphic card, if that will fix all my problems, but I don't want to do that unless I KNOW it will fix it. Besides, Nicht, Sehr Gut says the problem may have occurred because I could never install TR off the CD, I created a Tombraid directory manually and copied all the files over to the C:/tombraid. The thing that bugs me is that I got everything to work fine, except the game noises, then when I did get that fixed, it locked up at the end of level one, exiting. Now I can't play it at all.

Still frustrated:(

TeeJay

Reply 38 of 40, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

Why doesn't it crash NORMALLY, though? That reporter should only come up for MS products, specifically MSIE. Everything else should just crash with a "This program has done something bad and will be shut down. More details will be available as soon as I'm done dumping the segfault." Or if you have MSVC++, error BLAH at 0x... called from 0x... the memory could not be '[written/read]'."

There's a way for that reporter to log EVERTHING, though. I forget the settings. I know it is, tho.

Maybe this helps?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/def … n_reporting.asp

Reply 39 of 40, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TeeJay wrote:

Paul, you suggested I try using 1.19 again, instead of 1.20, what is the difference? I will check your site and see if I can download it again. I can't find the old version on my PC.

Was that you I was talking to on the smartgroup? If so, I didn't mean v1.19 When I first put VESA support into Glidos, the way it worked was a little more sensible than now, but the sensible way was no good for Grand Theft Auto.

I never bothered to look into which version you should try, but I posted a replacement version of gldvesa.exe in a smartgroup message... eeek, I posted a binary to my own smartgroup, I just realised, oops. Still it may be worth a try.