something new

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

paul , would it help (with the allversions patch/work) you if I sent you an American version of TR?

Well, I thought the versions equiv file was already complete, in which case there is no need. But now I'm seeing mysterious missing textures in your eqypt levels, making me wonder if it is working correctly. Might be a useful check I can do, if I could run with the same version you have.

To the right of the first little sphynx, there's a passage blocked by a gate, which you never actually open. I'm seeing that only partially textured.

Reply 102 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm seeing that only partially textured.

if that is on the city of khamoon first level right near the beginning ( the opening below the cat 'cage' and near the water and the obelisk ) , and the missing texture in question is a kind of light sandstone /glyph deal with 'bowling pin' carvings ...then it is only partially textured .

If I remember correctly two of the textures that would complete that particular bit were not added to the uploaded pak .

Although the textures don't start having extra special tweaking problems until the temple of the scion (some of the textures that should be linked are not) , and really fall apart on the mines and atlantis levels.

Reply 104 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, that's good to know. It looks like the extension for all versions has worked then.

Do the "problem" textures that are similar (actually the same texture but with one or two pixels different pixels so that they do not 'link' when making an equiv file ) appear correctly ?

(if the answer is yes you can skip the below )

if memory serves the first trouble I had with it began minor appearing on menu /title screens ( one of the passport textures does not appear )in khamoon
\then the obelisk level ( the flower wall texture and the water textures ...) ,

and the sanctuary level ( some of the sand, rock and two brick textures plus some of the wall textures and some of the menu textures )

then real troubles started with the mines , I made new water and water fall textures ,but the textures between the mines and the atlantis levels almost ALL had to be hand linked , ...damn have to run ......to be continued

Reply 105 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

Do the "problem" textures that are similar (actually the same texture but with one or two pixels different pixels so that they do not 'link' when making an equiv file ) appear correctly ?

If the same descrepances appear in both TR versions then it should work fine, but I don't know whether that's the case or not.

(if the answer is yes you can skip the below )

if memory serves the first trouble I had with it began minor appearing on menu /title screens ( one of the passport textures does not appear )in khamoon

As the passport closes, I see for a moment the cover lose its high resolution texture. Is that it?

If you handle these types of problems by adding to your equiv file by hand, then the verison-equiv technique should work, but if you add another texture or a link file then it might not.

\then the obelisk level ( the flower wall texture and the water textures ...) ,

The water flashes one old texture as it animates. Where is the flower texture?

and the sanctuary level ( some of the sand, rock and two brick textures plus some of the wall textures and some of the menu textures )

I don't think I've noticed that.

then real troubles started with the mines , I made new water and water fall textures ,but the textures between the mines and the atlantis levels almost ALL had to be hand linked , ...damn have to run ......to be continued

Probably the addition of lines to the equiv file will work better than adding links. That will make the combining with the version-equiv file work better.

Reply 106 of 126, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At some point when I return to TRX, I'll have to get a handle on this. I have been using a standard equiv file without the version equiv applied and have been modifying the equiv file as I go along to handle discrepancies or artistic choices to stop the mapping being applied to certain textures.

Is this wrong? Can I later apply the version equiv to this? Will I lose all my customisations if I do?

Reply 107 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's exactly the thing to do. It is best to create a pack just for your own version, and then combine with the version-equiv file just for final testing and release. If you work with a pack that already has had the combining done, then its far harder to work out what lines to remove to special case a texture.

That's why I've kept a copy of the work I did on Quest's packs, with the repeats removed, but without the final stage of combining with the version-equiv file.

Reply 109 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

paul I had a chance to run through the beginning and end of the 'allversions' stuff you prepared and everything appears to work excellently .

There are a couple of small changes bu for the most part I think they were intentional ( the bubbel texture comes to mind ) and work out well .

the flower texture I forgot I manually fixed (for the obelisk level) in the equiv before uploading , and the flashing animated water texture is another that I wil have to get to manually ,

but in reference to the allversions project I am not gettign any conflicts and no major ( or minor for that matter ) troubles when running it with my version . In fact for the latter levels ( where I used few or no links ) it looks the same as my equiv .

So it appears that As long as i give you a decent ( and complete ) equiv to start with evryone will be happy 😀

good show

btw , i do not get any new textures for the atlantis/pyramid levels when using the allversion , but I assume this is because my equiv file (included in the silverlok/2 download ) did not contain this information

thanks again for taking the time to smooth this (and some of my sloppiness) out

😁

Reply 110 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

paul I had a chance to run through the beginning and end of the 'allversions' stuff you prepared and everything appears to work excellently .

That's good. I guess we can't be certain that I'm seeing the same thing here with my version as you with yours, but at least your tests confirm I haven't degraded the pack.

There are a couple of small changes bu for the most part I think they were intentional ( the bubbel texture comes to mind ) and work out well .

Yeah, that was a case where there were multiple mappings. I had to bring them down to single mappings, and there was a choice of how to do that. Hope it ended up not too far out from your intention.

the flower texture I forgot I manually fixed (for the obelisk level) in the equiv before uploading,

Yeah, flower texture is fine on my version too.

and the flashing animated water texture is another that I wil have to get to manually ,

Ok great. If you are going to continue the work, I should let you have my copy here that has all the multiple mappings removed, but hasn't been combined with the version equiv file. When you had more to release, I'll ba happy to do the multiple version support again.

but in reference to the allversions project I am not gettign any conflicts and no major ( or minor for that matter ) troubles when running it with my version . In fact for the latter levels ( where I used few or no links ) it looks the same as my equiv .

Yeah, the process should make no difference to what you see on your version. That's important because you might want a textures used in several levels to appear differently in each. If you do, then the multiple version pack should respect your decisions.

So it appears that As long as i give you a decent ( and complete ) equiv to start with evryone will be happy 😀

Yeah, that sounds great. I'll upload my non multiple version copies tomorrow, which should be the best thing from which to continue your work.

Reply 113 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paul I've been sitting on these since the middle of June. Can't quite seem to get the muscle/vain/glass floors just the way I like ...doh , and there are a couple of unfinished textures specific to TGP , but for the most part these complete the atlantis and TGP levels .

I am not sure if the bits included will make the final cut and the equiv file is incomplete ( I am coming to think of it as diseased 😀 but if you want a sneak peak this pak contains the majority of the textures for the atlantis and great pyramid levels ...

in the nonce;
I am going back through the entire game to

A) find the textures I missed or ignored
and
b) to create a coherent complete equiv

not sure how long that will take (or in horse like fashion if I will ignore the plan but,), that's why I decide to drop the sneak peak(p.s. just change the .rar extention to a .exe )link:

ftp://ftp.tombraiderxtra.com/downloads/Atlantis.rar

Reply 116 of 126, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

+1

Especially considering that the mines are among the poorest texture jobs of the whole game. What you did with them makes the Atlantis levels almost enjoyable! 😀

A quick note about the Colosseum: I noticed that on my French version, many ceiling tiles around the arena are still mapped to the M letter of Midas. I thought the problem had been fixed through the equiv file, but maybe it was in a different pack...?

Reply 117 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that letter 'm' issue is how the original was textured . the equiv maps all like textures together (regardless of which level they are in . all the levels 'repackage' textures instead of sharing them ). One can adjust textures so that they are not shared ( so that the same texture can be changed from levlel to level) by editing the equiv file , unfortunetly this causes double 'mapping problems' when trying to create a equiv for non-U.S. versions .

after all pauls great work on the all-version files I am working on it , although I had forgot about the 'm' texture and will add it to my ( extremely long ) 'to-do ' list 😊

(p.S. one of the ealier releases of mine did change the roof tile , but I believe it was a pre-equiv file release and thus has been subliminated in newere releases)

Reply 118 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

z9d10 - remember your continued work is much better done on the versions I uploaded here: http://download.glidos.net/SilverLok/

Working with those, you can get things like the M working, and I can redo the all-versioning when you've done.

Reply 119 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if that is the same as the other release I believe I am already using it but I will grab this one just to be sure .

er, and both of you thanks for the kind words about the textures . personally i think I finally started to figure it (meaning 'how-to-make textures') out at about the mines level . incidentally almost all of the textures generated for the mines level were done using nothing more than psp7 and imagination . the only photograph I used ( though it is heavily filtered ) was fior the wood . and I at least took the photo myself 😀