P4-640
3GB
7800GT / 256 / 84.20
X-Fi
XPSP2
Redguard

When starting, for a few seconds appears a dosbox saying:
"Loading 'VDDLoader.dll' ...
Successfully loaded & initialyzed (hVDD = 0x01).
C:\PROGRA~2\REDGUARD\>RGFX.EXE"
Then the dosbox disappears. That´s it.

I have used Glidos for quite some time now, but only for TR1. So VDMSound is installed, and it works with other dos applications as well, albeit painfully slow, therefore I normally use dosbox instead.

I tried the different options both in Glidos and in VDMSound (checking an unchecking various settings, changing the emulators, mem size etc.).

Reply 2 of 10, by crusader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I should have written that I already followed your install instructions from the website.
And that it does not matter what device I choose for sound. Even with no sound at all, the same thing happens as described above.
So, no Redguard for me.

Maybe I still have my Descent2-CD, then I will give this game a shot.
Besides, there is a shareware version of Blood.
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/blood/blood.exe.html
Is this shareware supposed to work under Glidos?
I am not in this "abandonware" scene.
BTW I use Glidos 1.33RC2.

Reply 3 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could right-click on the two short cuts C:\Program Files\Glidos and C:\Program Files\GlidosF and uncheck "Close on exit". That way the DOS box may hang around after rgfx crashes, and you might see an error message. It helps to run Glidos in windowed mode.

Reply 6 of 10, by crusader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now, the doswindow does not disappear. Here is the complete content:

"Loading 'VDDLoader.dll' ...
Successfully loaded & initialized (hVDD = 0x01).
C:\PROGRA~2\REDGUARD>RGFX.EXE
C:\PROGRA~2\REDGUARD"

In the server-window of Glidos are not any new entries at all, besides the starting line ("Starting Glide Server" etc.).

Okay, I am out of luck. I will look for other Glidos-supported games and see if at least they work, then I will check back.

Reply 7 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a pain. Redguard is superb.

When I run it, I get the attached error dialog. Do you not see that?

Attachments

• Filename
    redguard.jpg
    File size
    16.39 KiB
    Downloads
    209 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 10, by lolek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

try this patch
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spencer.greystro … /XPProfiles.exe
reboot and follow the usual procedure with glidos. You don`t need dos box, only vdm sound and glidos to run Redguard. Maybe I`ll post my guide for running Redguard under win XP if I find it.

Reply 9 of 10, by crusader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the other legacy-files, but no change here.
Same failure as before. Nothing happens at all, besides the message quoted above.
I´ll try another Glide wrapper. Furthermore, I do have an older PC, running with Win98SE. It is a bit painful to connect that one to monitor, speakers etc., so I do it very rarely. When I am in the mood, I will test Glidos-Redguard on the old PC.

Reply 10 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you don't get the error dialog I posted? I don't think you are going to have any luck. The game causes that very early before you get to anything to do with Glide. Your system must be set up in some way to close program that to that straight away. Can't think what to suggest.