VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is NOT a problem of any kind.
I just noticed that the famous corner bug (to be transported to unreachable spots) has disapeared in TR!
A very good example is in Palace Midas in the Five Switches Room and the Med Pack in the white column...

Does it have anything to do with the fact that Glidos uses hardware acceleration?
Just curious...😀

Another incredible thing is that I can run TR with mipmapping and forced texture smoothing at 1024 fullscreen without losing framerate.
😁
Does it have anything to do with the new 1.20 Glidos?

Reply 1 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Col.J.P. wrote:
This is NOT a problem of any kind. I just noticed that the famous corner bug (to be transported to unreachable spots) has disape […]
Show full quote

This is NOT a problem of any kind.
I just noticed that the famous corner bug (to be transported to unreachable spots) has disapeared in TR!
A very good example is in Palace Midas in the Five Switches Room and the Med Pack in the white column...

Does it have anything to do with the fact that Glidos uses hardware acceleration?
Just curious...😀

Almost certainly not. Might be that the voodoo rush exe has
the bug fixed.

Another incredible thing is that I can run TR with mipmapping and forced texture smoothing at 1024 fullscreen without losing fr […]
Show full quote

Another incredible thing is that I can run TR with mipmapping and forced texture smoothing at 1024 fullscreen without losing framerate.
😁
Does it have anything to do with the new 1.20 Glidos?

That's a bug fix in 1.20 (actually in the version of OpenGLide supplied with Glidos). It used to be that setting mipmapping in TR under Glidos had no visual effect except for slowing things down because of a bug. Now it just has no visual effect. You can alter OpenGLide.ini to get real mipmapping, but I don't lie the effect in TR.

Reply 2 of 12, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see...
But, Paul, the Corner Bug was a kind of "DopeFish Cameo" of Tomb Raider...
The guys at Core were hoping we could use that "bug"!
Otherwise why did they put goodies in unreachable places?

😉

So the mipmapping does´nt work?
And the Forced Texture Smoothing?
It used to slow down my Glidos too...
But it does´nt any more...

😀

Reply 3 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Col.J.P. wrote:
I see... But, Paul, the Corner Bug was a kind of "DopeFish Cameo" of Tomb Raider... The guys at Core were hoping we could use th […]
Show full quote

I see...
But, Paul, the Corner Bug was a kind of "DopeFish Cameo" of Tomb Raider...
The guys at Core were hoping we could use that "bug"!
Otherwise why did they put goodies in unreachable places?

😉

"DopeFish Camep"? I think you are confusing me with an educated person. I don't know what that means. 😀

What is the bug anyway? How does it work?

So the mipmapping does´nt work?

No it doesn't: it makes TR send mipmapped textures, but
OpenGLide ignores them. That could be changed. On the
other hand the OpenGLid.INI alteration will give OpenGL
generated mipmaps.

And the Forced Texture Smoothing? It used to slow down my Glidos too... But it does´nt any more... :) […]
Show full quote

And the Forced Texture Smoothing?
It used to slow down my Glidos too...
But it does´nt any more...

😀

That should work, and should have in the previous version
without slow down, but TR uses unsmoothed texturing for
effect so you are better off without the forced smoothing

Reply 4 of 12, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DopeFish is a kind of ...Huh...symbol, no, a fetiche? dunno! a thingie that appeared in Doom, Quake (and Daikatana) and other games.
Take a look here:

http://www.dopefish.com/

About the Corner Bug, Stella can explain it better than me:

There are many seemingly unreachable places in the various Tomb Raider games. One particularly enticing one is the white stone structure with the large med-pack in the ROOM WITH SQUARE PILLARS AND FIVE SWITCHES. To get there, you can use a technique that players call the "Corner Bug" or "Jump Trick." (Jeff Reid brought this to my attention, but I believe the corner bug was a known quantity before it was applied to this particular spot in the game.)

"From the tall, square pillar to the left of the switch platform, jump over to the middle ledge of the white stone structure. Turn so Lara is facing the white block and the open room is on her right. Sidestep to the right until her right foot is at the edge. Then turn about 45 degrees to the right so Lara is facing the switch platform. Jump straight up and down in place repeatedly and Lara will creep forward toward the corner of the white block. You'll notice her left shoulder and foot start to merge into the block. Then, at a certain critical point, she'll suddenly pop up to the top of the block above, right next to the med-pack. Why? As Lara creeps forward, the game program interprets her position as being INSIDE the block. It knows this can't be true, so it "corrects" by repositioning her on top of the block. This is obviously a bug in the game, but apparently the programmers meant it to be exploited, or they wouldn't have put goodies up there.

If you need more help using the corner bug, check out my useful bugs page (http://tombraiders.net/stella/goodbugs.html) for tips and screenshots. After getting the med-pack, drop back down to the lower block, jump over to the nearest square pillar and from there, jump to the platform with the switches."

It was pretty cool...

😉

Reply 6 of 12, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Paul, I was thinking about another thingie.
I´ve been playing TR in Glidos for a while now (slowly, cause I got little time) and taking some pretty nice screenies.
If you want to make a screenshot gallery in the Glidos homepage, just let me know and I´ll zip them and send it to you.

Ok?

I´ve been thinking about it for some time, cause I´m using them as wallpaper in my desktop:)

Reply 8 of 12, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, Paul, I can host you at http://www.kickassgamers.com
We got plenty of room.
It´s a pity we´re not dealing with RavenSoft games, cause we host them for free at http://www.ravencommunity.net

But I think you needed to move your whole site to our server.
Your move.
Think about it, ok?

Reply 10 of 12, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cause we got very good conditions, including bandwidth.
And who knows?
Maybe free hosting?

http://www.kickassgamers.com/modules.php?name … pid=1#bandwidth

You said you had limited bandwidth, did´nt you?
So limited that could´nt support a screenshot gallery?
Dunno, it was just a suggestion.

BTW, my screenies are a little dark, dunno why.
Gonna send you one, so you can see if it can be brightened.
I always play in the dark so I like dark graphic settings but in screenshots it´s not working very well.