VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wildass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem somewhat similar to that discussed in the RB3D below. I've loaded _007b4 into the main RedBaron3D folder clicked glide in the game's preferences. The mission loads and freezes on the first frame and sound continues in a loop. The only way out of this lock is to cut the power.

I have a brand new AMD 2100 with 512m ram and a GF4 Ti4800se card and 40g HD. I am using win98se. The game runs great on DD but as stated elsewhere DD sucks.

The Driver for the V card is the latest (41.09). This problem may be due to the settings in the card software (basicly default) but I don't have a clue.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 8, by Wilda

User metadata

A few items of progress on my part. I went back into the video cards settings and did the following;

Turned off virtical sync

Turned off nView (dual monitor)

Turned off anti-aliasing

In the game I turned off sun glare.

I also replaced Glide2X.dll with the latest version I know of (from a link on the thread below)

Now my problem is essentially the same as that described below. I cannot ent a mission without crashing. But how far I get seems to vary. I have gotten into a brieffing before it locks but not consistantly. Also. When the mission loads the screen turns gray and the game window only covers about 2/3s of the screen area. Worst of all is that sometimes while the mission is running the blank (gray area) of the screen flickers. Hard on the eyes.

My system appears to be substantially different from BMslingers in the "Moved" thread below. It may be a common problem but it seems to me it points more to the Glidos file than anything else.

I'm thinking about putting RB3D back on the old machine and finding a Voodoo5 card.

Reply 2 of 8, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There *are* newer drivers for Win9x, than 41.09.

I didn't personally get on with 41.09 sets in WinME.

The latest ones I'm using are 42.30.
Give them a try ?

http://www.guru3d.com/files/detonator/

Just make sure you have AA and AF off, or you'll get a few problems.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the Openglide glide2x.dll file. As this game runs great on my Ti4600 in both WinME and WinXP.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 4 of 8, by Wildass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exactly Snover. Why? The first thing I did when I installed the card was go look for the latest driver and I already had it...I thought. But I'll look for the 42.30 driver.

I believe Anti-Aliasing IS causing some problems. I tried the game again this morning but had reset the AA to on last night and the mission froze on the first frame as I originally described.

A couple of other possibilities I haven't had a chance to try yet;

update the AGP driver to the lates version (Control Panel/System/Device Manager/System Devices - check properties for manufacturer and then go to their sight to see if they have a new driver).

Remove (uninstall) any old video card drivers. But if you uninstall the driver to an integrated (onto the motherboard) video card you may get some horizontal roll until the current driver kicks in whenever you cold boot.

I don't know if these steps will make any diference but the latest AGP driver can't hurt anything anyway. I appreciate all your input.
Thanks.

Reply 5 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wilda wrote:

Also. When the mission loads the screen turns gray and the game window only covers about 2/3s of the screen area. Worst of all is that sometimes while the mission is running the blank (gray area) of the screen flickers. Hard on the eyes.

That ones easy. Edit OpenGLid.INI and enable FullScreen

Reply 6 of 8, by Wildass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Glidos! I'll do that.

Just as an update - a couple of things:

I found the Beta driver you pointed out CraigG and it does seem to help. I've actually gotten through a mission in the campaign I'm in to the debriefing but it is very unstable. The program will lock up or crash at at any given moment. AA and AF are off.

In my case I do not have a seperate AGP driver (or at least I couldn't find it) and no extranious video drives so I could not prove my speculations on those.

I have an HP P3 500mh with 392m ram, (2) 8g HDs and a PNY video card (nVidia 32m chip) on Win98se. The os is in very bad need of a reload and the C drive is very low on space. I already had RB3D all updated on this machines D drive. I loaded the two Glidos files into the RedBaron3d root folder, flipped glide on and the game runs without a hitch except that the frame rate is so slow I can't stand it and my Satek 36x stick seems to have a problem communicating it's programed buttons to the mission. But no crashing - no locking up. I'm ready to just clean up this machine and try to get the best frame rate out of it I can.

I wonder if there are any intel chip computers ot there having this problem?

Reply 7 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dude. Get Windows 2000 and a new hard drive. Seriously. I don't know how you survive on that OS and with that little disk space. I'm floundering on Win98SE and 6GB of drive space on my laptop and not having music is driving me nutty.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 8, by Wildass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that's just my secondary computer, Snover. I wasn't having much luck on the AMD 2100 with 40gigs so I put the Glidos files in the RB3D Program still on the little computer just to see if I had the same problem. Which I didn't, but the blasted frame rate is so low that I can't stand to play on the P3!

As to OSs I use XP at work and it's ok. Has it's own problems but my biggest beef is the control MSN is trying to exert over XP. Fine. It's their program. But I'll stick with 98se for awhile longer. There are games I like to play that still have a problem with XP.

Lately RB3D seems to be running ok with the Glidos files on the AMD. I can't tell you why. It will still crash but not often and it seems as long as I leave the esc button alone I'm fine. It's almost like the computer had to get use to this little wrinkle! I'm sure the beta driver for the nVidia card helped! I put the 4Seasons patch from PromiseLand on the AMD and found that I get holes in the Terrain and the mesh on the aircraft starts desolving away when ever a plane get's shot up. Until my OTE disk arrives or the Super patch from TPL becomes available I can live with it.

I finally got Dawn of Aces 2 loaded up and tried out the training missions......In a word - yuk! Too much like EAWs and the planes do NOT tweak me! RB3D is still the all time best.

I also got Satek's X45 stick (finally). Sweet! That helps. I'd like to go to foot peddles though. Has anyone found a set that works well with this stick?