VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Falkentyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a few questions,

I have a Ti 4600 and two Voodoo2's installed in my system. I can use the voodoo2's for most windows Glide games (all V2 aware games, and some V1 games), although getting DOS glide games (which are almost always Voodoo1 games) working tends to be a bit problematic (Tomb Raider 3dfx works in pure DOS mode, but often (well, usually) freezes in win98 with a hard lock (even with the Voodoo2 environment variables set for V1 compatiblity in autoexec.bat), Whiplash has corrupted colors in DOS mode *unless* I run Descent 2 (3dfx mode) FIRST (only happens on a Canopus pure 3d2), etc.

But without boring you to death, What exactly does Glidos install? Will I still be able to use my Voodoo2? Will it break Unreal or any windows based Glide games? And how would I get the Voodoo2 working again in DOS Glide, if I needed it? (I know that GLIDOS will obviously not function in pure MS DOS mode, since there is no such thing as MS DOS Nvidia drivers 😀

Since the 3dfx drivers (Voodoo2 dx7) are completely installed, how exactly does Glidos stop the games from running on an installed Voodoo2?)

Also, how do you get Whiplash working? This game is a PITA to get working even on a Voodoo2, and never works in windows with a V2 (only software mode works here). As far as I know, it doesn't use the Glide2x.OVL file at all (it's handed directly in the EXE).

Reply 1 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Falkentyne What exactly does Glidos install?

Well, Paul (appears as "GliDOS") is the only official voice for GliDOS, but the basic files it installs are listed in the Glidos-List.txt file attached below (presuming you are installing in the original location from the installer).

It will also copy over Glide2x.ovl into whatever DOS Glide game that GliDOS is trying to run. So the short version of the answer will be: Yes, it will interfere. Unless, of course you juggle the proper .OVL and .DLL files manually before switching between GliDOS emulation and an actual Voodoo card.

In effect, what you are trying to do is run a (virtual) Voodoo1 card with your Voodoo2's. It might be possible, but it will be probably be messy.

Attachments

• Filename
    glidos-list.txt
    File size
    2.88 KiB
    Downloads
    239 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 20, by Falkentyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll have to take a look at this.

There are a bunch of advantages to being able to run the games in windows, not the least of which is being able to set the CPU/FSB speed without having to go into my BIOS, not having to reboot and go offline, as well as use a windows slowdown program (some of the old games tend to not work very well on fast CPU's or high FSB settings)
And getting most voodoo1 games running on my Voodoo2 is rather annoying. The 3dfx (unofficial) patch (d2_3dfx8, I think) for Descent2 is one of those few patches that supports both cards (without a bunch of compatiblity variables), and works unassisted in both windows and dos, but most other games are a lot less cooperative. 🙁

Being able to run thees games without the hassle of messing with a bunch of SST variables, and praying you will actually get video, would be worth the registration cost alone.

The one GOOD thing that I've always liked about Glide (true windows glide, not trying to run DOS glide stuff), is that a "voodoo" lockup _never_ crashes the OS...you can just press control F9 which turns off the passthrough, then end task. (if a DOS glide game locks up in windows, it's reboot time). The exception is some openGL based stuff (especially anything based on the Quake3 engine), because Quake3 disables alt tab in fullscreen mode _and_ the 3 finger salute (WHY?), so if the video card/driver locks up, you can control-F9 all day and it won't get you anywhere. (I believe the Direct3D mode of the Voodoo cards also can cause this *cough* RE-VOLT in SLI mode *cough*)

I think most people forgot just how convenient it was to simply F9 a locked up game, end task, and get on with life. Now, we see everyone saying "Help ! game xxxx locked up on my Radeon 9700/ Geforce X and I can't do anything but RESET the computer !". (I don't think F9 did anything on a Voodoo3, though!).

Reply 3 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think it will be too messy. As Nicht says, Glidos will copy a special version of Glide2x.ovl into the folder associated with each game you run via Glidos, but you just need to delete that to be back where you started.

Glidos will also install a special version of Glide2x.dll (this is OpenGLide), but it will install it inside the Glidos folder where no other Windows Glide games will be effected by it.

So no problem I think.

Reply 4 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jeeze man! Talk about massive hardware! How many PCI slots do you have in your computer? heh
Anyway, with that Ti4600 you should have no problem with the games GliDOS supports as far as performance is concerned. Things should be good. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 20, by Falkentyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 5 pci slots but only 4 are populated, because I have two ISA slots too (both full, with a Sound blaster 16 and Roland SCC-1). Two voodoo2's are in two PCI slots, the third slot has my ethernet card, and the 4th has a Promise Ultra100 tx2.

By the way, is there any way to get Whiplash working in Glidos? The game doesn't even use glide2x.ovl. The 3dfx driver file seems to be embedded directly in the whip3dfx.exe itself 🙁

Reply 6 of 20, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I don't think it will be too messy. As Nicht says, Glidos will copy a special version of Glide2x.ovl into the folder associated with each game you run via Glidos, but you just need to delete that to be back where you started.

Perhaps, the next version of Glidos could rename any GLIDE2x.OVL files when the game is started using Glidos, copy in Glidos's GLIDE2x.OVL, and then reverse when the game is exited.

Furthermore, you could have a "Fix Game" option that will rename the renamed GLIDE2x.OVL and remove Glidos's GLIDE2x.OVL from within Glidos, without having started the game, if in case the game crashes.

Everyone's happy then, no? And a few more seconds added to Glidos's starting of a game - well, the above process could be optional.

A question: SST variables and the like - for the ones that don't totally control the hardware, could there / should there be some sort of interpreter for them, to be added to Glidos/OpenGlide?

A comment: I hear MAME emulated a Voodoo 1, in the next version or two. Something about San Francisco Rush/NFL Blitz emulation - thanks Aaron Giles! (http://www.aarongiles.com)
Paul and Fabio might like too look at the emulation then, although usage in Glidos/OpenGlide may not be possible or indeed useful.

Reply 9 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Falkentyne wrote:

Admin:

What about getting Whiplash working with Glidos?
It doesn't use glide2x.ovl; all the acceleration is handled in the EXE.... is that a lost cause?

Probably a lost cause, unless there is a voodoo rush version.

Reply 13 of 20, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did Craig try Whiplash? Think I'll have a quick search.

Check your CD, Paul. I'm pretty sure I put both the UK and US versions on there.

UK = Fatal Racing
US = Whiplash

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 15 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

Check your CD, Paul. I'm pretty sure I put both the UK and US versions on there.

UK = Fatal Racing
US = Whiplash

Yep, its there. That's what made me wonder what results you had from it... actually I hadn't realised I had both versions.

I might have a little fiddle with it.

Reply 16 of 20, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking of CD, where's mine?

I sent you one, Colin.
I checked the date, and it was back in late January.

I wondered why you hadn't said anything about it, I thought perhaps you couldn't read it.

Perhaps it didn't get past US customs ?

I'll burn you another one, and use a different postal service.

Yep, its there. That's what made me wonder what results you had from it... actually I hadn't realised I had both versions.

All I got Paul was a black screen 😕

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 17 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Customs are stupid. I've had one Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy special edition DVD set get lost in transit and I've had your CD get lost as well, but I didn't have any problems getting through six DVD-Rs, imagine that.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 18 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

All I got Paul was a black screen 😕

Hmmm, probably is statically linked with the Glide library.

I've just noticed I've got a demo of skynet on my computer. Not sure where it came from. Is there a voodoo rush version of that, doesanybody know?

Reply 19 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos I've just noticed I've got a demo of skynet on my computer. ... Is there a voodoo rush version of that, doesanybody know?

AFAIK, there were no accelerated versions of SkyNET at all. It was basically an SVGA/Network upgrade of "Future Shock".