VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If glidos recognized the dos 3dfx environment variables (specifically these ones:

REM Proceed at monitor's refresh rate
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=2
REM Wait for Vertical Sync
SET SSTV2_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=1
REM Set screen refresh rate. Valid settings are: 60, 75, 85 and 120 Hz.
SET SSTV2_SCREENREFRESH=75

It would make my D2_3DFX usable, as I must limit framerate to 35fps due to using a mouse. Anyone know?

rms
rsquires@flash.net

Reply 1 of 13, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I asked this too. Have not received reply yet. (In the OTHER Voodoo2 thread.)

The same goes for SET FX_* settings.

Here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=93975757 … .z2.fidonet.ftn

und here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6ngvh6%2 … 40news.3dfx.com

But would GliDOS have to add support? Or would OpenGlide?

Reply 3 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glidos doesn't take any notice of those variables. Perhaps it should.

Are you finding that the mouse is not repsonsive or that the game runs too fast. It all works fine for me under Windows 2000, but runs fast under Windows XP.

Fiddling with the value of ControlJudderFix in the GLidos.ini file can help. Try values like 5, 10, 20 50, 100.

Reply 4 of 13, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Glidos doesn't take any notice of those variables. Perhaps it should.

Please find a way to do so, it may eliminate problems with people who wish to use customized batch files, or the batch files that came with the games. Discuss with Fabio too, as the batch settings also affect Windows Glide games.

Reply 5 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude Please find a way to do so, it may eliminate problems with people who wish to use customized batch files, or the batch files that came with the games.

*hears sound of Pandora's Box being opened....runs from room in a panic*

Reply 6 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Schadenfreude wrote:

Please find a way to do so, it may eliminate problems with people who wish to use customized batch files, or the batch files that came with the games. Discuss with Fabio too, as the batch settings also affect Windows Glide games.

But what is the problem you want to fix? What is Glidos doing now, that you'd hope to cure with these variable settings?

Reply 7 of 13, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

But what is the problem you want to fix? What is Glidos doing now, that you'd hope to cure with these variable settings?

No reason, just thinking that one should be able to - at some point - control GliDOS or OpenGlide using settings, REAL voodoos did this.

Reply 9 of 13, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What would be the whole point of adding VARS ?

Vars on the original Voodoo1 were never there to fix games, merely to allow Voodoo1 owners to overclock the card, mess with gamma and brightness, etc...

But on Voodoo2, they allowed the Voodoo2 to disable a TMU and downclock it to allow it to act like a Voodoo1. This allowed newer hardware to act like older hardware via a software patch.

Since we are not working with hardware, but working entirely in software, I just can't see the point as fixing a game can be done within the software itself. i.e. Glidos/openglide

And to me, it's more pointless work for Paul to work on.

Besides, it *could* break more than you think. And that would be a bad thing.

And I like the sarcasm Paul, 😁 Hehe 😉

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 10 of 13, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's just my opinion that a wrapper should act as close to the card as possible.

If not, then a video card emulator should. But as of now, there is not such thing.

Sorry to offend.

Reply 11 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude Sorry to offend.

I don't think anyone took it as an offense. It's just easy to go off on tangents that have little, if any, benefit.

Paul was knocking himself out to get the 3dfx beta version of BLOOD to work with GliDOS. The result? A game that usually requires some real effort on the part of the user just to get it working only to find that it actually it has less detail and more glitches than the original.

Reply 12 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also the addition of the variables would while letting "play" more with Glide DOS Games would also flood the author with tons of questions of why this or that doesn't work. The way that Paul currently has it that if it's not listed by him on it's website then it's a good bet that it doesn't work. Considering that users are paying for this software.

Also considering that we have to deal with the fact that all Dos Glide Games are protected mode and usually have other issues not related to Glide.....it's just easier not to support extra "crap". But of course that's up to him to decide. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 13, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's just my opinion that a wrapper should act as close to the card as possible.

If not, then a video card emulator should. But as of now, there is not such thing.

Sorry to offend.

You aren't offending anyone, don't worry about that.

It's just that the variables didn't do anything for the Voodoo 1 card. They were there for the Voodoo2 card to help it with games that had problems with it.

Glidos, is more about emulating a Voodoo1 card, so any variables will just be pretty useless for this project.

Thinking about it, the only time I ever used vars on a Voodoo1 was for overclocking it, and for gamma.

The best way to make both Glidos AND Openglide THE best emulator, is for loads of helpful feedback from us loyal users 😉

And for Fabio to make a sudden appearance, announce a new super version of Openglide, and we all go off for some tasty games testing 😁 😉
He IS still alive, yeah ? 😉

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2