VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi,

Glidos crashes out on me when I try to run TR1. When I click the "Start Game" button, the window appears (left half black, right half white) and Glidos promptly dies. I say promptly, but ntvdm starts hogging 99% usage and it takes a bit to kill it off.

PC is Athlon XP1700+
512MB DDR RAM
GeForce3 Ti200
SB Live 5.1

Clean install of XP (new hdd)

Game works fine without Glidos (just VDMsound)

I've gone through Dracmans site as recommended at Glidos.net but I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Neil.

Reply 2 of 14, by Unregistered

User metadata

It's now about to get stranger...

I still have my original hdd with its installation of XP. I've just tried running TR1 with the same version of Glidos (and a straight copy of TR1) installed on a communal partition and it works fine!!!

Same files, same GFX drivers! Only difference is that the new one is a completely vanilla install with no critical updates, SP1, etc. running on it, whilst the old one is totally up-to-date with all patches, etc.

I hate computers, me! 😀

Neil.

Reply 4 of 14, by The Muttster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was quite impressed with XP until I bought UT2K3 and it refused to work at all. I used that as an excuse to the missus to get a new hdd as my 40GB was filling up and I didn't have backups of everything to be reinstalled.

UT2K3 worked first time on putting the new hdd in with a clean install of XP, except TR1 didn't. Never mind, some piece of code somewhere fixed it so I can play both...

Neil.

Last edited by The Muttster on 2003-03-11, 23:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh, some piece of code? Care to elaborate? heh... spontaneous solutions are good and all for the end user but they don't help much in preventing the problem in the future, if at all preventable.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 14, by The Muttster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry,

what I was alluding to is a 'fix' which caused UT2K3 (and a couple of other games I might add) to not work whilst *possibly* another one was required in order to get Glidos working...

As to which 'fix' worked and which one messed my system, all I know is that I installed it/them between XP being released and Christmas just past. 😕

Reply 7 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:
It's now about to get stranger... […]
Show full quote

It's now about to get stranger...

I still have my original hdd with its installation of XP. I've just tried running TR1 with the same version of Glidos (and a straight copy of TR1) installed on a communal partition and it works fine!!!

Same files, same GFX drivers! Only difference is that the new one is a completely vanilla install with no critical updates, SP1, etc. running on it, whilst the old one is totally up-to-date with all patches, etc.

I hate computers, me! 😀

Neil.

Not sure I'm completely following, but does this suggest that keeping up to date with updates has led to TR1/Glidos working?

Reply 10 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos Is it Windows update you've been using to keep up to date?

GliDOS and Tomb Raider ran just fine on my system with XP Pro. I kept up to date (using the standard Windows Updater) with everything except "Service Pack 1" and DirectX 9.

I consider both of those "suspicious". SP1 because MSoft won't list exactly everything it actually does (due to changes in the way "activation" works), and DX9 because I've heard at least 4 or 5 situations where DOS programs had major issues immediately after installing DX9.

Reply 12 of 14, by The Muttster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Well that's probably a good thing. Is it Windows update you've been using to keep up to date?

Yes.

I can't vouch for SP1 or DX9, however. I only installed these when UT2K3 and Metal Gear Solid refused to work at all. They didn't help the problem so I bought a new HDD and did a clean install of XP home on it (as you do...) 😁

I had avoided SP1 because M$ made a subtle change to the EULA giving them permission to gather data from your hdd.

I do apologise about switching between my username and "Unregistered" - kinda forget which cookies are installed in which installation I'm using today... 😉

Reply 13 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover If you block NetBIOS ports you can install SP1 and M$ can't touch your...

It's not so much I fear they will "do things" on my PC. It's more that I don't like applying patches/updates to an OS unless I have a detailed description of what it does. Knowing that "activation" is tied into the update bugs me...