VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I had posted an earlier thead about the endless problems I was having getting Tomb Raider to run with Windows XP. (The game would lock up at the end of the first level and not load subsequent levels.)

Through trial and error I have been successful in alleviating the problem not by curing it but by sneaking through the back door.

So, I'd like to post a Survival Guide of sorts. If you are having any problems at all with Glidos and Tomb Raider on Windows XP this should help you to play the game to completion with little worry.

1. Download the pollpipe.dll file attached to this message. (This will prevent the computer from completely locking up.)

2. Make sure the NumLock is off. (You cannot walk with NumLock on.)

3. Open the Windows Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and minimize it. (This just makes it easier and quicker to exit Tomb Raider.)

4. Load Glidos and Tomb Raider.

5. If the title screen appears and the animation is working but you cannot select anything with the keyboard just hit ESC once and then you should be able to select everything normally.

6. For any lock ups whatsoever--title screen, in game, between levels--CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the Task Manager. Close Glidos from the Task Manager. You will now be back in the Desktop. Below in the taskbar you'll see a tab for C:\TOMB. Right click this and select CLOSE. Then load Glidos again normally and try again. Either immediately or after a few tries Tomb Raider should work normally. Just keep closing and restarting the program until it works.

I hope this helps anybody with a similar predicament. (Maybe it will help also in fixing this problem.)

Attachments

• Filename
    pollpipe.zip
    File size
    13.84 KiB
    Downloads
    218 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception