VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hey, I'm having some problems with unfinished business..
I can't get the program installed. I downloaded your installer, but I have a feeling it only works with the original, not unfinished business. It keeps telling me the tomb raider cd cannot be found. The two games use differently named install files, I believe - install.exe and installt.exe. I can't install by just running the executable, installt.exe, as the prompt freezes (i'm running XP) just after the dos/4gw notice switches me to fullscreen.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot

Reply 1 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Edit the GliDOS.INI file and change the entries in it to the correct paths. GliDOS *does* work with UB. You should not need to run the setup program with it though, and in some cases it may actually hinder you from successfully installing.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 5, by Unregistered

User metadata

hmm.. well, I did eventually get ub installed.
When I installed XP, I did an upgrade from Win98, so luckily my partition was already FAT. I installed the game from a boot disk. 😁
But now it keeps crashing on me. I was able to get to the title screen once, with the menu options.. but it froze at that point. The next time I got as far as the Eidos logo.. then it froze. And now I can't get that far, because "NTVDM has encountered a System Error" - apparently it didn't respond to the start or control request in a "timely fashion."
Any suggestions?
I remember reading about a problem like this in another thread, so I'll re-read that right now and see if that fixes anything

Reply 3 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:
Hey, I'm having some problems with unfinished business.. I can't get the program installed. I downloaded your installer, but I […]
Show full quote

Hey, I'm having some problems with unfinished business..
I can't get the program installed. I downloaded your installer, but I have a feeling it only works with the original, not unfinished business. It keeps telling me the tomb raider cd cannot be found. The two games use differently named install files, I believe - install.exe and installt.exe. I can't install by just running the executable, installt.exe, as the prompt freezes (i'm running XP) just after the dos/4gw notice switches me to fullscreen.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot

I've just updated the installer to handle either install.exe or installt.exe, but I did that because I was told that some versions of the TR CD have installt.exe on them. I wasn't at the moment intending to handle UB. If the installer does seem to work with UB, then that is probably a bad sign.

Reply 4 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:
hmm.. well, I did eventually get ub installed. When I installed XP, I did an upgrade from Win98, so luckily my partition was alr […]
Show full quote

hmm.. well, I did eventually get ub installed.
When I installed XP, I did an upgrade from Win98, so luckily my partition was already FAT. I installed the game from a boot disk. 😁
But now it keeps crashing on me. I was able to get to the title screen once, with the menu options.. but it froze at that point. The next time I got as far as the Eidos logo.. then it froze. And now I can't get that far, because "NTVDM has encountered a System Error" - apparently it didn't respond to the start or control request in a "timely fashion."
Any suggestions?
I remember reading about a problem like this in another thread, so I'll re-read that right now and see if that fixes anything

Are you using VDMSound. You should, and you need to setup TR's audio accordingly. My installer will do that for you. When trouble shooting, it's a good idea to try with audio disabled.

Also DOS games seem not to like empty drives. Make sure everything has something in it. Also a scratchded CD can cause problems.