VOGONS

Common searches

Carmageddon trouble

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Freakwency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I've got Carmageddon and a GeForce2 card. First of all, the sound works fine so that's not an issue (thank goodness). I have Win98 SE and I run the game in a DOS window. The game works fine when I run Carma.bat. When I run Carmav.exe however, it says a required DLL is missing. I installed the latest version of Glidos and when I try to run it from there, it starts fine and has the Interplay logo and everything, but it stays there and won't go away at the press of any buttons. It finally does and shows the first frame of the opening movie sequence. After I skip that, it sits there for a long time and finally shows the main menu. Basically, it's going like a 14.4 modem if a T3 is standard. Plus the screen is divided into 4 squares by a 2 black lines.
If I try running Glidos.bat from the Carmageddon folder, it starts it but immediately goes back to Windows with a message in the lower right-hand corner that says it has performed an illegal error and to close all programs and reboot. The same happens if I attempt to load Carmav.exe after installing Glidos. I have OpenGL because the display options for my GeForce card says I do and it has the DLL file that supplies it. So like, what's the deal?

Reply 4 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos Don't understand: what was wrong with the way this thread was started?

He posted the exact same question in the "DOS" forum as he did in the GliDOS forum. I think Snover closed the GliDOS thread by accident (instead of the DOS thread).

In any case, I went ahead and merged the two threads, deleted the duplicate post and re-opened the thread.

Reply 6 of 10, by Freakwency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yo, sorry for cross-posting. I first posted in the DOS forum and then remembered there was a specific one for GliDOS and so I posted in this one. Anyway, I have the latest drivers, and I just went and installed OpenGL from the link on the GliDOS website just to make sure. The problem is exactly the same, but just for accuracy's sake, the screen is split into 6 sections instead of 4 like I had originally stated. If you want to know anything else about my system, feel free to ask.

Reply 8 of 10, by Freakwency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.glidos.net/support.html
If you scroll down, it says "*Very slow.Â_ The OpenGL support provided by the drivers supplied with some graphics cards is insufficient to run Glidos.Â_ Try downloading the manufactuer's latest drivers.Â_ For many cards, better drivers can be downloaded from [url]www.glsetup.com.Â_[/url] You may find you have no OpenGL support at all, which will cause Glidos to run in software mode and be extremely slow.Â_ Again the manufacturer's latest drivers may fix this." I tried both that one and the latest drivers from the nVidia site. Nothing changes the speed of Carmageddon, and I can still only play a game using just Carma.bat. Also, if I try to run HiRes.bat, it works all the way until you click to start race and then it exits the program saying something about stacks. Once I tried the 3dfx version and it said it expected 2 and got 2. That was in a DOS window. All the other times however, it just gives an illegal error.

Reply 9 of 10, by Freakwency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I stand corrected. Apparently the nVidia site had updated the drivers after my last download and I was thinking I had the latest. It works fine now except the darn GliDOS logo that I'll have to spend a little money to get rid of. The only other thing is that now it doesn't have the cursor so I have to navigate with the arrows.

Reply 10 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, getting the nVidia drivers and then getting drivers from GLSETUP is redundant and rather dangerous. GLSETUP, really, is only for old old old hardware.

Anyway glad to hear updating drivers like I told you to in the first place fixed it. 😉 Closing thread: RESOLVED

Yes, it’s my fault.