VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, 3 good points! I tend to give feedback on most things I use on the web, though I'm usually more critical than praising. I'd love it if more people did the same and I'm quite happy to receive ONLY constructive criticism if peple don't like my work. I mean, I never set out to do this for anyone else except myself, so I'm not really that bothered, only a *little* disappointed that people don't comment, one way or the other.

Reply 21 of 124, by Iverindor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys ! I awaited your textures and I am very satisfied with your work. John, you continuous to astonish me ! I adore your production for Egypt and I am in a hurry to discover what you will do for Atlantis. As for you, Gambit, your site is superb. I like also your textures and it is a pity well which you do not produce more. In short, there are fans who waited for your work and I am these.

Continue your excellent work

Reply 22 of 124, by May Dupname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Evening All,

I've been following the development of these texture packs for quite a while now and am very impressed. After finally getting TR to work satisfactorily, I've registered Glidos and am enjoying the new textures. What is probably interesting is that I've never actually played the original TR all the way through despite having the Sold-out version for about 3 years! First Lara-fest was TR3, then 2,5, and 4. Legend won't run on my PC. At the moment I'm mainly sticking to JC's textures, but still try out some of the others from time to time.

Reply 23 of 124, by jezois

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,
I too have had the sold out version for many years but despite abandonloader and dosbox, never could get it to work. After reading about the anniversary addition, I came across tombraiderchronicles and found the answer to my vexations. Not only did Glidos allow me to play the game (and with the audio restored no less) but it pointed toward TRX. My joy rose exponentially as I not only managed to get my hands on Lara (ooh err, matron) but guide her through some particularly stunning landscape.

Thus far, I've only tried Gambit's pack and Antonijadis' mansion but I was keen to finish the game before trying anything else. I am particularly fond of the way gambit's textures are true to the original but inject more historical life into the tombs.

So that's my two bit's worth. Thankyou all for allowing me to not only play but experience more depth.

E.S. perhaps a guestbook of sorts at the main site would garner more feedback. Most people are far too lazy to log onto and register at another forum. They're all too impatient to try out all the new textures.

Reply 24 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi jezois! Thanks for taking the time to register here and thanks for the great comments. 😁

I did have a guestbook on the previous website but it got overrun by spammers and ended up being more trouble than it was worth. It's a good idea though -- I'm going to investigate incorporating a blog into the site rather than a guestbook though.

Reply 25 of 124, by Reda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi !

I'm french and my english is very simple ; sorry if it isn't just 😢

I would to thank all designers for the job they did : it's magnific, Egypt textures are so magnific (particularly the City of Khamoon, I love it !). Thanks for all, I can't wait for Atlantis textures packs !

I know it's a big work to create packs textures, but it's so beautiful, thank you very much ! 😉

Reply 26 of 124, by Art Raider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a new member but long time viewer, I am a bit confused as to how to load the new levels by J.C. I find his work incredibly detailed and have not yet had a problem. However, there are 3 folders listed on TRX's site for JC's work. The main one JC, JC2, and JC3.
When I go to the Glidos screen and pull dow the textures screen, only JC is listed. The later folders which contain later levels are not. Are they loaded by default or do I have to specify in the Glidos setup screen which folder to use. For instance the JC2 folder seems to contain the most levels at this point. Are these loaded automatically if I just choose JC from the Glidos -Textures pull down menu, or do I have to specify that particular folder.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply 27 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Art Raider wrote:

Are these loaded automatically if I just choose JC from the Glidos -Textures pull down menu, or do I have to specify that particular folder.

Yes, exactly. They are split into individual packs for management purposes but once installed they all go into the JC folder.

Maybe when JC has finished the entire game, he'll combine everything into one download.

Reply 28 of 124, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Art Raider - You just click on the 'Textures' tab in the Glidos set up menu and select 'JC'. Then you can play all the levels from 'Caves' to 'Sanctuary of the Scion' without having to worry about it! - Happy raiding!

(Gambit answered a split second before me - sorry about the echo!)

Reply 30 of 124, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey JC, here's a screen shot showing the dangers of exploring your cistern level

Attachments

• Filename
    OopsLara.jpg
    File size
    260.86 KiB
    Downloads
    421 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32 of 124, by OCcsdude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am going to be meeting with some good old friends of mine this friday and am gonna hook up my comp to a hdtv...guess what the main feature will be? I already tried out playing TRX on the 60-some inch screen and I tell you, it is awesome. You can really see the detail of the new textures. It's too bad glidos can't offer higher resolutions.

Reply 33 of 124, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could add some higher resolutions, but I can't see what I could do for wide screen. There's no way I can persuade TR to generate extra renderings off to the right and left. And if I cut a letter box out of the existing screen, then lara gets her legs cut off

Reply 34 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really high resolutions are only going to benefit what's going on in the distance though which isn't exactly realistic -- there comes a point where it's simply not worth supporting very high res surely?

Must be pretty spectacular to see TRX at 60 inches though!!! 😳 😳

Reply 35 of 124, by OCcsdude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you could add in some higher resolutions and maybe try to max it out that would be really sweet. I know it would only affect things in the distance, but hey, it is only better right? Maybe something to think about anyway. What I really wish is that the fade-to-black (far plane clipping) could be turned off...it'd be interesting to see how it would look.

edit: I am so overly ambitious as to have thought of yet another thing. It would be beyond awesome if time in the game could be sped up by an arbitrary magnitude...if you could somehow trick the game into thinking 1 second gone by is 1 1/10 a second. I think I am really dreaming now. I imagine this is only doable if you could get to the game code/do some hacking involving processor counts-per-second. If the whole game could be sped up just a tad it would feel less sluggish and aged.

I am just getting excited here...I doubt any of this can be done. But knowing how much cool stuff you guys have done with this game (Paul and Gambit in particular), I am starting to think anything is possible.

Reply 36 of 124, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel a bit peeved about this:

http://www.laracroftreborn.com/pages/utilita_xtra.asp

This Italian site is offering our packs for download (and the dl link is to the TRX server), but I'm not aware that they asked us if this was ok. The thing that really irks me is that they don't seem to provide any link to the TRX site, and so there is no way that anyone could see a way to give us feedback - or even simply say 'hey thanks for that!'. OK - so we do this stuff for our own enjoyment in the first instance, and we make the fruits of our labour available for free on TRX, but it seems to me that what this site is doing is just plain ignorant and rude. Am I over-reacting here?

...I'm thinking maybe I'll withdraw my packs temporarily, bundle them up as a single d/l and make sure I clearly refer to TRX and to Vogons for feedback in the installer. Should probably have thought of that in the first place

Reply 37 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right to be peeved: it's rude of them not to have asked. I would certainly have preferred an email and I'm unaware of anyone having received one. However I'm grateful for the exposure so it's good that someone else has noticed the project. 😀

However, don't take anything down yet. I'm writing them an email and asking them to remove the direct links to the packs and to put up a link to the site instead. I don't mind them keeping the instructions or little screenshots because they went to the trouble to translate the text so it's actually helpful for our Italian TR fans.

To solve the problem, I suggest that you add a .htaccess to the root of the site Paul that prevents hot linking (you can google for this -- loads of tutorials out there). I would suggest just masking the artists sub-folder: that way we can protect the screenshots and downloads from hotlinking but other pages will still be linkable to. This way if they do nothing, the links on their site will be useless. At the moment they are "stealing" our bandwidth (although really it makes no difference to our data transfer whether it's through our own site or someone else's).

Reply 39 of 124, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Too late, I consolidated my stuff into a single download already! However, it is something I had been meaning to do anyway, since it has caused some confusion. Regarding the stats: I was under the impression that these figures relate to the size of the download pack. If you divide kb downloaded by the actual size of the pack the figures even out! (or have I got that wrong?)