VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 124, by Lara for ever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have bought Glidos just yesterday after trying it. and I can't tell how happy I am with, and with the high-res textures. I have waited so long for finally playing TR1 again, not knowing about this program at all. Seems it is still not known everywhere then.
You people have done great work, TR1 never looked better than today! I really love it. And I hope one day we will also get new textures for the Director's Cut levels, that would be my wish and dream!
However, I don't understand people who complain about those few $ to pay for Glidos, they do not understand what they get for the money. They will never know what they miss.
I also know some further players who do want to play TR1 again and can't. I will tell them about Glidos und TR Xtra, and how happy I am with! Thanks for your wonderful work!!!! 😎

Reply 62 of 124, by MigMig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I was still running dos when I first played TR1. I remember the sense of adventure from the evan just the first time I saw that title screen, so this game is a bit of an old friend to me, which is why I'm so delighted with Gambit's texture pack! I've only gotton as far as the lost valley, but I can already see this pack is exactly what I wanted. It's almost perfectly faithful to the original yet so much better looking. The really impressive thing for me is how I don't notice that game has been retextured. Every room is still familier, and yet I do notice that the game looks great at high resolution. If anything it's the occasional discrepencies that are a bit jarring, like the blue statues in the serpant pool room.

I've also taken a peek at John Capon's textures. I can definitly appresiate how they make it look like a differant game in spots, evan if that isn't what I'm looking for. This pack is interesting for some of the more drasticaly changed textures, like the fascinating jumbled block patern the replaced the blue mosiac tiles in the aformentioned serpent pool. I'm not really interested in having Tomb Raider look totaly differant, but I still may have to play though again at some point with John's textures just to see all the stuff he's come up with. It's interesting to see the temple entrance in Vilcabamba, the one with three doors, grey and sombre without all the red and ogange. If I have one complaint, besides that it isn't entierly my style, it would be that a few areas just end up looking kind of drab. The first room in Vilcabamba, the one where three wolves attack, is almost completaly colourless, the white snowed ceiling textures and the brown earthen floor having both been turned grey. The room after if with the pool has been similarly over-greyed.

Also, props go to Paul for having the foresight to include this feature. It's probably the most impressive thing about Glidos.

Reply 63 of 124, by Solo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although I bought TR1 several years ago, I hadn't played it again until recently, and since I now have Windows XP instead of Windows 95, I had to find a "user-made" interface program to run it with sound. So I wound up with VDMSound and Glidos.
I didn't know anything about texture packs etc. But I decided to try it.
(I've only been using a pc since about '98-99 ).
I was surprised to learn that I could actually download and install this stuff.
I've tried JC's texture pack and now I'm going through the game using Silverlok's version. They're both interesting. 😎
Although the Khamoon area doesn't seem to show much detail. (The movable blocks at the beginning of "Obelisk" are very vague in appearance in Silverlok's version). This is probably one of the areas he isn't finished with yet.
Are there any special texture packs just for the Unfinished Business episodes?
Solo. 😀
P.S.: How are we to be notified when the texture pack author has completed the package?
How many texture pack authors have a package for all 15 of the original levels (even if they're not finished working on the total package)?

Reply 64 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Solo wrote:

Are there any special texture packs just for the Unfinished Business episodes?

Nope, not yet.

Solo wrote:

How are we to be notified when the texture pack author has completed the package?

Check the news page on the website.

Solo wrote:

How many texture pack authors have a package for all 15 of the original levels (even if they're not finished working on the total package)?

John Capon's packs texture almost the entire game. Some of the other guys are close. I have about another 3 years work on it and I'll be done! 😀

Reply 66 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I'm Matthew Hill. Silverlok is Quest who now posts here as zd910 or something like that.

If you've checked out the site, the downloads page shows you who has done what.

Reply 68 of 124, by Solo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well. I think the fans will be glad to see your completed texture pack.
I first went through TR1 with JC's pack. I just got through going through with Silverlok's pack. i don't think he needed to do much retexturing prior to the City of Khamoon. Seems thats where the vague textures begin to show up. Tonight I started going through using your texture pack. Very good. Sharper detail on the rocks. Rock and stone really looks more like rock and stone. Hope the rest is as good. 😀 I haven't got to Antoni's pack yet. He's next.
Incidentally...do you know if any of the authors have tried to give close study in history books to examine Incan imagery for the Peruvian levels? Some of the designs used look more like Mayan or Aztec than Incan. But they're still interesting to look at. Now if I could just quit walking Lara off the edges of cliffs and stuff while I'm standing around gawking at the scenery. 😁

Reply 69 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done a lot of research into meso-american and south american cultures so I'm well aware of the inaccuracies in Core's original work and my own interpretation. The bottom line is that there is very little remaining Incan architecture that is interesting enough to put into the game -- that's why we've all used Aztec, Mayan, Toltec, Chavin, Mixtec and other culture's architectural motifs.

Reply 70 of 124, by Solo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. I rather expected that to be the case. It's true. Since nobody seems to know exactly why they disappeared. It was just a curious question. And it's also true that a lot of those cultures had similarities. I think they all moved to Florida. 😁
Anyway...it ALL makes good texturing material for South American scenarios. These people making the designs for statues and so forth are really doing good. It makes it much more interesting. And I'm glad that not all the texture pack authors have exactly the same artistic view of how it should look.
I know there's some sites out there whose members make new levels for TR among other things. I wonderif there's any that offer more texture packs for TR. Why should the four of you guys have to do all the work?
😀

Reply 71 of 124, by Solo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anton: I just started going through TR1 using your texture pack last night. This is really good work. The spider webs in Palace Midas are a unique thought. I just finished going through Palace Midas a few minutes ago. Really good. 😀
So far I'm only disappointed with you in one thing: Why didn't you do the first four levels? 🙁
Solo.

Reply 73 of 124, by Solo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now another question. I just started trying out the new Silverlok NR pack.
What's the difference between the SilverlokNR and Silverlok2NR?
Do I need both of them?
😕

Reply 75 of 124, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...a curious question. And it's also true that a lot of those cultures had similarities.

Solo I think ( which is always dangerous ) that since the premise of the original TR story hinges on a ancientsuper advanced pre-history civilization composed of human progenitors aliens and possibly even robots , my guess is that the TR team picked some of the cooler elements from all of the cultures
a) because they were cool
and
b) if an advanced race met some kind of catastrophe ( possibly even caused by our villain ; Natla) and was scattered across the globe then a large number of later cultures would obviously show similarities as they slowly deviated from the common source . so in a way a polyglot of seemingly disparate cultural elements serve as clues to a clever archeologist that there is something worth investigating based on the grouping of things that "should not be " 😉