VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The size is irrelevant, it's the hit rate you need to look at. I added up all the hits just for the downloads and worked out % based on that figure.

Fair enough on consolidating the pack, makes a lot of sense.

Reply 41 of 124, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OCcsdude wrote:

I know it would only affect things in the distance, but hey, it is only better right? Maybe something to think about anyway. What I really wish is that the fade-to-black (far plane clipping) could be turned off...it'd be interesting to see how it would look.

I think the distance is hardcoded. Removing the anti-clipping fog would be a very bad idea anyway, TR was never designed to let you see past a certain distance (the open space pyramid in UB is the perfect example, the distant fog barely masks the boundary polygons).

Besides, the z-buffer is so poor in TR, you really don't want to see what's really happening in the background :)

Reply 42 of 124, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

I think the distance is hardcoded. Removing the anti-clipping fog would be a very bad idea anyway, TR was never designed to let you see past a certain distance (the open space pyramid in UB is the perfect example, the distant fog barely masks the boundary polygons).

Besides, the z-buffer is so poor in TR, you really don't want to see what's really happening in the background 😀

All good points, but in any case TR1 doesn't use fog to create the effect. It just adjusts the lighting. That makes it very difficult to remove.

Reply 43 of 124, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have upload new textures for Lara's Home, so you can update that level.

http://www.tombraiderxtra.com/artists.php?artist=Antonijadis

Last edited by Antonijadis on 2006-11-20, 10:52. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 46 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, that edit you made to your post doesn't help. We disabled linking in this way to stop "bandwidth theft" by other sites. You need to link just to your own page, not directly to individual downloads.

Also, when uploading new packs, can you please also add a news item so that the news page gets automatically updated. You can find information on how to that here:

Re: Tomb Raider Xtra as a community effort?

Reply 48 of 124, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Antonijadis, I downloaded your pack yesterday and it works OK. Very beautiful, thanks. 😀 I like ancient greek motives the best.

I noticed you sharpened some textures and few textures are replaced totally (carpets for example). So is Lara's mansion completed now or do you plan other improvements? I just wonder if you could make some textures closer to original.

Reply 49 of 124, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, My plan is to leave it like that for now, but if I find some extra time …who knows. 🙄

Last edited by Antonijadis on 2007-02-19, 17:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 124, by tizerist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just flicked through the atlantis levels with JC's textures.

well done! this was a bloody ugly level i never liked much and you've made it easy on the eye.
the garish pinks are gone and replaced with a post-industrial rustiness.
very nice.
so now we have 2 full versions of TR, the glidos original and JC's "remix"

cant wait for antons progress now!

Reply 52 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tizerist wrote:

cant wait for antons progress now!

What about mine? 😉

I know I haven't done much yet, but it seems my style isn't well liked. Hmmm.... I'm not fisihing for compliments (seriously!) What is it that people prefer with JCs textures versus mine?

Reply 53 of 124, by tizerist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no gamb, not at all, i'm merely thinking of whos closest to completion.

i am indeed looking forward to your finished article, but i read one of your posts which said your enthusiasm slips periodically, and that has no doubt hindered your progress

am i right in thinking that JC used your cave wall textures, with a bit more green added to it? (sorry JC if thats not true)
that shows you've got it. remember, you instigated this project!

hopefully, with website finished, you will have more time to spare.

good work so far. dont let this be "just a dream"!

Reply 54 of 124, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I don't think its a case of preference. Remember we've had your caves level (although not quite in its present form) for a fairly long time now. So people have played the caves a lot. Certainly I'll be very interested to see more levels from you.

Reply 55 of 124, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every author's approach is different. My preference goes to Gambit's textures, which in my opinion closely retain the original spirit. Anton's textures are pleasant, some places are great while others are a bit distracting in terms of colours or texture choice.

Technically speaking, JC's work is breathtaking. Textures are of great quality (although much too dark for me) but I have a major problem with them: I never felt I was playing at the original TR. They're so different that it looks more like a custom level than a TR1 retexturing.

I understand that was JC's decision from the start and I respect this, which is why he shouldn't change a thing about it. Many places are jaw-dropping and I was like "wow, amazing!" while exploring -- but at the same time, I was feeling totally disoriented and not really satisfied in the end. Some people will enjoy the change; I for myself am looking for a more authentic feel, which is why I prefer Gambit's take on it.

But whatever their respective style, everyone's been doing an impressive job!

Reply 56 of 124, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gambit37,

in the caves, I set Lara in a corner so I can see her model from the front and try and see if there are some inconsistencies. First: great job. The problem I encounter are:

1) When the image is close enough, lara's glasses disappear. Not so nice.

2) In some position, a vertical blue (same colour of her shirt) line, crosses her face (this same problem happens with JC's model as well). I don't think it is a 😅 ...

Reply 57 of 124, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lara ain't finished in that pack... I have a completely new version! Anyway, glasses? She doesn't have any!

Yeah, the blue lines are weird and nothing to do with the new textures -- I see those on the original too. At first I thought it was to do with anti-aliasing, but even with that switched off they still appear. Any ideas, Mr.Glidos?

Reply 59 of 124, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know what causes these lines either. It seems to vary according to graphics card and driver. It can be associates with AA or Mipmapping, but sometimes its there independently of those settings.