VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MethodGit

User metadata

Heya, all. Thanks for this nice app and everything.

I appear to have trouble running GTA through Glidos. I followed the instructions to the letter, but after I choose a city to start on, I am greeted with a black screen, save for a blinking DOS cursor in the top-left corner. I cannot go any further at this point. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't seem to work, so I have to reset/turn off the computer afterwards. 🙁

This seems to happen wherever I choose fullscreen or windowed mode as well.

Anyway, let's get the important part, my system specifications, done and over with:

AMD Duron 650Mhz
192Mb RAM
Windows 98 SE
nVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 (64Mb)
Soundblaster Live!

And, yes, I'm using the latest Glidos. I wonder if it doesn't like something on my computer?

Reply 1 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops, yes, sorry. I must have neglected to say that for GTA you have to press <ESC> once to get everything started.

BTW, if you are using Windows XP, GTA is much better supported by v1.21 of Glidos. You an find v1.21 here on the vogons site as an attachment to the first post in the "PIT Perfect" thread.

I find that there is a really bad lag in the controls with v1.20, but not with v1.21

Reply 2 of 9, by MethodGit

User metadata
Glidos wrote:

Oops, yes, sorry. I must have neglected to say that for GTA you have to press <ESC> once to get everything started.

I remember reading about that bit. But isn't that for the intro, anyway? I'm talking about what happens after I select "Start Game", select my character and then choose the city level.

BTW, if you are using Windows XP, GTA is much better supported by v1.21 of Glidos.

*points to earlier system requirements* rolleyes.gif

You an find v1.21 here on the vogons site as an attachment to the first post in the "PIT Perfect" thread.

Thanks for that, man. I got it just now. 😀

BTW, did you know that there's a second demo of GTA, which is 3DFX only, containing a timed mission on San Andreas? It can be grabbed here.

Reply 7 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What am I, stupid or something! Try pressing ALT-Enter.

I've no idea why I didn't think to suggest that before. I was just testing Redguard under Windows 2000, and I get a completely black screen with a flashing white cursor (I always do with Redguard). I just press ALT-Enter without thinking, but luckily I remembered that there was someone asking about this problem.

Reply 8 of 9, by MethodGit

User metadata

Ah, thankies! 😁 That appeared to work for me. I'm using the new v1.22, btw.

But...... now is it just me, or does that huge spinning (and sometimes flashing) GliDOS logo slow down the frame rate a lot of the time? At first the action moves all slowly, then it speeds up suddenly, then slows down. I take it if I register then I'll get perfect frame rates?

Reply 9 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No: that isn't due to the logo. Please don't pay unless this problem can be rectified.

You might try editing the glidos.ini, and within the GTA section, change ControlJudderFix from 1 to 2. I don't know if that will help, but it does make a significant difference to how Glidos controls timing. The trouble is I find with the setting of 2, that there is a lot of lag in the controls.

You should also look to see if you have anything unusal running in the background on your computer.