VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by batracio

User metadata

Hi,

I own a Celeron 500 with a G200 video card, which is a quite slow hardware to run Glidos version of TR at full speed (30 FPS). Many times the frame rate drops down to 15 FPS or even less, so I've tried a tricky method to improve this performance: remove OpenGlide version of glide2x.dll and place native 3dfx version in Glidos directory (of course I have a voodoo card installed on my system, a 12 Mb Diamond Monster Voodoo2).

Surprisingly (or not), Glidos will load TR with success, although cinematics are not available (black screen instead). After pressing ESC key twice, the splash logo of 3dfx appears and TR main menu is shown without any graphical glitches (text is corrupted when using G200's OpenGL ICD). I can start a new game, load a saved game, etc, and TR runs smoothly at 800x600 fullscreen mode, with a stable framerate of 30 FPS.

So, where is the trouble? I can't exit to the options/save/load menu after the game is started: it locks with an invalid page fault on glidos.exe, whenever I press ESC, F5 or F6 keys. I don't know whether this is a Glidos error or not, but I have read somewhere on this forum that Glidos code is written to support any good Glide wrapper (not only OpenGlide), and 3dfx glide2x.dll should be a better implementation of Glide than any existing wrapper, I think.

Does anyone know a possible fix to this issue, or I'm just messing around with a too weird setup, and there's no hope to get it working?

Last edited by batracio on 2003-04-18, 02:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always wanted someone to try this. With a voodoo card, this should give the best results, but I've never managed to try it myself.

Hitting ESC in game is the the only thing that will cause a logical frame buffer read. I expect there is a problem there. It does sound like a bug. I'll take a look, but I can't promise anything.

Reply 2 of 13, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I've always wanted someone to try this. With a voodoo card, this should give the best results, but I've never managed to try it myself.

Hitting ESC in game is the the only thing that will cause a logical frame buffer read. I expect there is a problem there. It does sound like a bug. I'll take a look, but I can't promise anything.

Paul, you do no testing with actual Voodoo card? Shame on you! Go out and buy a used Voodoo5!
This goes for Fabio too!

(and testing of Glidos/evoodoo would be made simpler if testing on Win98 at first instead of 2000/xp - no need to worry about ACT patches, etc. etc.

Reply 3 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude Paul, you do no testing with actual Voodoo card? Shame on you! Go out and buy a used Voodoo5!
This goes for Fabio too!...

Yes! After all, Schadenfreude just volunteered to pay for them all!

*heh**heh**heh*

Reply 4 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an old voodoo I, but I've lost the knack of making it work.
I think it was the year I started learning javascript; that knowlede overwrote the "how to make a voodoo I card work" part of my memory. 😀

Reply 5 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a new Glide2x.ovl to try out. Drop it into your Glidos folder, and be sure to start TR from the Glidos button.

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2xwithnolfbread.zip
    File size
    10.74 KiB
    Downloads
    379 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batracio wrote:

Cool, it works!

Now I can access the TR in-game menus without hanging Glidos. The spinning logo reappears everytime I return to the game, but I suppose this is the normal behaviour.

Thank you very much.

Great! That's not quite fully working though. You will notice that the background to the menu is black, rather than a darkened copy of the last game frame. This is because I have disabled logical frame buffer reads. There must have been a bug in that call. I'll look into that.

Reply 10 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great! Thanks! Try going back to the original version of Glide2x.ovl (check you get the crashes back). And then try this new version of Glidos.exe

Attachments

• Filename
    infosize.zip
    File size
    163.46 KiB
    Downloads
    299 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 13, by batracio

User metadata

Hi,

unfortunately, the new version didn't solve the problem. Hitting menu keys crashes again Glidos.exe with the invalid page fault.

But look at what I've discovered: running Voodoo Rush version of Tomb.exe directly, with Voodoo2-specific environment variables setup (SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2, and so on) also crashes the game at the same point, and Tomb.exe exists with the message "ERROR: couldn't lock 3dfx frame buffer". However, Voodoo Graphics version of Tomb.exe runs perfectly, without any crashes (but at 640x480 fixed resolution). Both versions using latest 3dfx's Glide2x.ovl for Voodoo2.

After this testing, I added a new entry in Glidos.ini for Voodoo Graphics patch ("Name: Tomb Raider 3Dfx", "Executable: C:\Tombraid\Tomb3Dfx.exe" and "ExeSizes: 1140735"). Launched Glidos, and guess what? No crashes, as in MS-DOS mode, but the whole screen is rendered in weird colors, the effect is something like a wrong gamma selection, but adjusting gamma controls did nothing. I wish I could have taken some screenshots to show you, I tried several ways but none worked (Hyper Snap DX - useless hotkeys; Winglide - won't run TR in a window).

Anyway, it seems that the issue may affect Voodoo Rush Patch, and not Glidos itself. Has all this stuff any meaning for you?

Reply 12 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's very useful information. I was pretty sure it was a failure to lock the LFB. The first update I gave you, avoided locking the LFB. Then I noticed that I wasn't setting up everything I should whem making the call, hence the second update.

What I should do is detect the call failing. I didn't bother because it seemed unlikely that it would unless I called it wrongly, but you have confirmed it does fail.

This experiment with Tomb3dfx via Glidos sounds strange. It might be that Glidos isn't actually being used in this case. I think that version drives your card directly. But then I don't know why you'd get strange colors. You could try removing the VESASupport line from the Glidos.ini file.

Reply 13 of 13, by Unregistered

User metadata

It also sounds like a problem you might see running a Voodoo Rush game on a non-Voodoo Rush card. I'm shocked that it even works. I find it hard to blame GliDOS, more proof is needed.

Besides, isn't it RECOMMENDED to use the Voodoo Graphics version of TR with Glidos anyhow?