VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I record with Fraps while using Glidos Tomb Raider seems to randomly crash on level transitions and loads (Sometimes I can record twenty times without a crash, other times it does it on the second), I used to have the problem without Fraps, but setting the game to single core fixed that.

I've recorded the whole game before using DGVoodoo with no problems so it doesn't seem to be a problem with TR1 itself.

I noticed that when the game loads it appears to go to the desktop for the split second, I'm guessing this is something to do with it, so is there a potential way to stay in the game at all times (or an option that could be implemented)? I experimented with a bunch of the openglid.ini options and glidos settings but it didn't seem to do anything.

On a kind of related note I noticed that when you load there is a half second or so where the game is running yet all you can see is a blank screen, again, I tried a bunch of the settings glidos/opengl has but they didn't seem to do anything, so is there a way around this as well?

Reply 2 of 15, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to get a posting error when I enter the key combination for task manager, weird.

Windowing does fix this, but Fraps doesn't work with windowed games.

To clarify, when the crash happens the game just freezes and I have to open the task manager then end Glidos and ntvdm. Fraps refuses to work for TR1 again until I log off and on or restart my computer.

Last edited by MMAN on 2007-02-09, 14:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 15, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought of trying VDOS32, but the game doesn't have any music when you use it, and that probably isn't allowed for what I'm doing. Is Redbook support easy to implement? Not that I'm forcing you to release a version with it or something, but if it potentially works it could be nice.

Reply 6 of 15, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's for speedrunning it, and I think the game needs all audio for the site I'm submitting to, at the least, I'd have to redo what I've already done to be consistent (If I don't just stick with running it "normally").

That's also why I'm interested in whether there's a way around the small delay when you load, as some levels require some precision within the first couple of seconds, and therefore the delay can be troublesome and might lose me time.

Reply 7 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMAN wrote:

I thought of trying VDOS32, but the game doesn't have any music when you use it, and that probably isn't allowed for what I'm doing. Is Redbook support easy to implement? Not that I'm forcing you to release a version with it or something, but if it potentially works it could be nice.

VDos32 has no redbook support at the moment, but it doesn't stop Glidos using the MP3 audio pack, so you can have music easily enough.

Reply 8 of 15, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, didn't realise it had the ambient music as well.

I'll have to get it and see whether I can use it without having the rest of the music triggers play, since that would probably classify as modding the game, especially since the pack is only half complete (I guess doing this would to, but it sounds the same 😀 ).

Edit: Yes, I moved all the extra audio tracks and now in VDOS the game works like usual. Though I can't tell whether the issue is fixed until I've played more.

Too bad the delay seems to be the same, but I'm pretty much done with the levels where that is anything more than an annoyance.

Reply 12 of 15, by MMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The videos are here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F8970512D477DE7A

But you might want to wait until it is redone.

Edit: That link doesn't seem to work, you'll have to start from here and go through my videos to see the rest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AJlID3LeiE

I haven't had a crash so far in VDOS, but I still need test a little more before I can be 100% sure it fixes it.

Reply 13 of 15, by Solo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is "speedrunning"? Is that another name for "overclocking"?
Solo.
😖 <=== this smiley looks like it should be called :curious:
😀