VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I would just like to have the author's advice about what the best settings are for playing Tombraider with Glidos.

DISPLAY

Full Screen - Self Explanatory

Forced Texture Smoothing - ?

Mipmapping - ?

Then there are 3 greyed out options (Inhibit Mode Change, Managed Textures, 16 bit Mode) - What do they do ?

CD AUDIO

MP3 Background Sound - ? (when I started Lara's Home I heard music but I remember clearly that when I played it under Dos long time ago, there was not...Perhaps that's what this option does ? Continous music even where there should be none ?)

Redbook Emulation - ?

Thanks for your answers! 😜

P.S. My advice would be to include such informations on Glidos window through a working "?" option making it an online manual. When now I click on the "?" on the bottom right I just get "Impossible to find the file Glidos.HLP. Look for the file ?"...

Reply 1 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Salk wrote:

Forced Texture Smoothing - ?

Glide can render with interpolation or not, on a texture by texture basis. Close up, when not interpolating, you can see the individual pixels in textures. This option forces interpolation

Mipmapping - ?

Stops the detail in far away textures dancing about.

Then there are 3 greyed out options (Inhibit Mode Change, Managed Textures, 16 bit Mode) - What do they do ?

Only available with the DirectX wrapper. Inhibit mode change is good for wide screen laptops, and will use a subarea of the screen without mode change. Managed textures can avoid texture dropout on cards that have insufficient texture memory to handle TRX texture packs. 16bit mode is there in case you have trouble with 32bit mode.

MP3 Background Sound - ? (when I started Lara's Home I heard music but I remember clearly that when I played it under Dos long time ago, there was not...Perhaps that's what this option does ? Continous music even where there should be none ?)

The game should have background sounds. They usually come from the CD, but this option allows the audio pack version of them to work, provided you have it installed, of course. The Audio pack also has extra sounds that were present in the PS version, but lost in the PC release.

Redbook Emulation - ?

This is needed to get the sounds working from the CD, but even with it you may get nothing. The SoldOut version of TR was released without the audio tracks.

P.S. My advice would be to include such informations on Glidos window through a working "?" option making it an online manual. When now I click on the "?" on the bottom right I just get "Impossible to find the file Glidos.HLP. Look for the file ?"...

Oh yeah, I love writing, me!

Reply 2 of 9, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your answer, Mr. G!

I have more questions (hoping you don't mind)

OPTIMISATIONS:

- Cache Small Textures - ?

- Disable Logical Frame buffer reads - ?

- Delay Logical Frame buffer writes - ?

And one, final thing: can we disable the FPS counter on top left of the screen ?

Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 9, by tizerist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what about this for the next version of glidos:

an 'explanation text window' when you hold the cursor over the 'checkbox' for a second?
you get this on many webpages, even on this one when you hold the cursor over 'reply' or something.

(and press F2 to lose the FPS.)

Reply 4 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Salk wrote:
Thanks for your answer, Mr. G! […]
Show full quote

Thanks for your answer, Mr. G!

I have more questions (hoping you don't mind)

OPTIMISATIONS:

- Cache Small Textures - ?

That was put in for Descent 2. Everything in Descent renders fine under Glidos, except the green writing that appears at the top of the screen. The game uses a single texture for the letters, and overwrites it for each letter. That may have worked efficiently in Glide, but updating textures many times per frame is a slow operation under OpenGL and DirectX. The Cache Small Textures options, keeps these small textures loaded for reuse.

- Disable Logical Frame buffer reads - ?

- Delay Logical Frame buffer writes - ?

These two speed up Screamer 2. It does a lot of direct fiddling with the frame buffer. The first option is to just ignore reads completely, and return a blank buffer. The second is to not analyse how the buffer has changed each time it is unlocked. Instead, the changes are mapped through when the first triangle is rendered.