VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, sry about the request for the whiplash version, I thought it was legal since the game is pretty old now.
I've somewhere found this 3dfx patch that works with fatal racing (not the whiplash version)...The thing is, I run the fat3d.exe file win98, i get stuck...Xp gives a com4 error, but in plain dos the exe runs fine:D

Allthough, it looks exactly like the software rendered version...Is this supposed to be like that? There is no biliniair filtering whatsoever...I do not have any voodoo drivers for the voodoo2 installed because i thought this isn't needed (maybe a glide2x.ovl file is required?) It doesn't come up with an error but it looks exactly the same like fatal.exe

Am I wrong, or is the only advantage of this patch that it runs slightly faster (because of the acceleration)

What are the experiences of other whiplash or fatal racing owners?

Reply 1 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should be running in a 640x480 mode if it's actually running with hardware acceleration. You might need to set some compatibility mode switches for the Voodoo^2 to get it working.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 9, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BZZZZT! WRONG, 3803!

FAT3D is for the 3D Blaster yes, but not the Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo II (there's been a long line of 3D Blasters!)

It is for the original Creative Labs 3D Blaster PCI (or possibly even VLB, I cannot check)

This requires, then, support for Creative's CGL (Creative Graphics Library) to run!

That is an old API, my friend! Maybe a different wrapper can be made to wrap CGL to Glide or to OpenGL or to Direct3D, but it would take lots of work! But it will not work with any Glide wrapper!

Maybe Paul wishes to tackle other old APIs when Glide is done being wrapped...? (I would like the Rendition APIs (RRedline and Speedy3D wrapped!)

Reply 3 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Wow, i did not know there were any other api's for a 3dfx but glide, d3d and opengl! So there is no CGL available for the voodoo2?

It's kinda odd that the executable actually runs...But in 320*200...I can set the resolution to 640*480, but what's the point anyway, i do not see any difference...

Which graphics board do you use for this snover?

Reply 4 of 9, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sry, forgot to log in, the message above is posted by me

It seems like the 3d blaster has a verite chipset! So it simply cannot work with the -3dfx- patch...I really wonder which cards actually do work with this patch

Edit:
My mistake, I downloaded the 3d blaster patch while i should have downloaded the 3dfx patch

the 3fx version still doesn't work, even with a few tweaks in a batch file...any ideas?

Last edited by 3803 on 2003-04-21, 12:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
3803 wrote:

the 3fx version still doesn't work, even with a few tweaks in a batch file...any ideas?

Yes.

Searching VOGONS, I find the author of GLIDOS saying that both Whiplash and Fatal Racing are probably "statically linked" with the Glide library. (He hasn't checked...)

This is bad news, bub. See here for why:
Re: EF2000 for DOS with 3DFX patch
Re: EF2000 for DOS with 3DFX patch

Maybe some day, far in the future. Or if by some chance there were OTHER Glide patches for Whiplash/Fatal Racing that used the Glide2x.ovl file.

But not today.

So in order to play the game, you must have a REAL Voodoo card. For now.

Before I forget, here's the link again to the unofficial 3dfx, not Verite, Fatal Racing patch. http://www.pcuf.fi/~lahdeaho/files/fatfx.zip
(Note: This was probably taken from the OEM version of Fatal Racing that came with the UK/Europe release of the Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo1 card - according to Google!)

Reply 6 of 9, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

danke für den patch

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 8 of 9, by schlang

User metadata