Common searches

redguard soundtrack

Topic actions

Reply 24 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha! I didn't notice the dumb interpretation until you pointed out: "Yes you must install the CD drive into your computer before inserting the TR CD". 😁

No, seriously, you need the CD connected to the sound card, or to have set "enable digital audio" for that drive. Basically the drive must be set up to play audio CDs.

Even if it is, other things can cause problems. The drive you put the TR CD in must be the lowest lettered removable drive.

Reply 25 of 34, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad this thread is coming back, I'd forgotten about this CD issue.

Glide2x.ovl 1.25 still has built-in support for audio CD, thus Redguard music doesn't play. Paul, is it possible to implement an option in Glidos.ini to enable/disable the built-in CD code? Something like RedbookSupport: Yes/No?

In the meantime, is it safe to use the old 'disabled' OVL that you posted here with the current version of Glidos? SAPUCDEX works great for me, I'd prefer to use it.

Reply 26 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, I'd forgotten all that. Probably that old ovl wont work, but it would be fairly quick to make an up to date one. Adding configuration from the ini file will take a bit longer but I'll try yo get around to it sometime.

Reply 29 of 34, by blueboyns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just that one option didn't help me, there are few steps before that are needed to be done for music to work along with sound (at least im my case)

So here's one easy guide in PLAIN English for all my fellow TES fans

I have WinXP SP2 installed on SATA disk which made running old games almost impossible. Integrated sound card didn't help in sound compatibility either.

I'm huge TES fan and Redguard is the only chapter I missed so far.( I even played and finished those moronic mobile phone games)
That's why I was so happy to discover Glidos
Everything went marvelous except I just couldn't get music to play.
But for an adventure where you spend most of your time standing and talking to people music is on of the crucial elements that build atmosphere of the game ( and music in Redguard definitely deserves to be heard)

I spent hours trying to figure out how to enable music in Redguard under Glidos, browsing this and several other sites for info.
But people just didn't seam to want to explain in simple english what exactly is needed for music to be heard in the game.

So finally after many futile attempts I got it working.
This is simple step-by-step guide how to do it.

I quoted some official explanations from the Glidos site where appropriate.

1)..."Redguard has a nice installer that just works in XP. You get to choose between the software version and the 3dfx version. Choose the 3dfx version..."
(Install to "C:\Program Files\Redguard" if possible, otherwise you will need to edit Glidos's glidos.ini file for Glidos to be able to find the game)

2) You may find that you have problems with sound configuration and you may just want to skip over that for now.

3) Install VDMSound
You may get it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

4) Go to "C:\Program Files\Redguard\sound\" after installation and start setsound.exe by right-clicking it and selecting "Run with VDMS"

5)Choose Soundblaster Pro for both sounds

6) Download Sapucdex archive (Google for download location) and unpack files from archive (SAPUCDEX.EXE and sapucdex.dll) to "C:\Program Files\Redguard"

7) Make new txt file (e.g. with Notepad) and put next lines in it:

CD "C:\Program Files\Redguard"
SAPUCDEX
RGFX.EXE

Save it under name RG.bat

8 ) Install and run Glidos (I used ver. 1.41)

9) Click on "Adjust" button
9a) on "Display" tab choose either OpenGL or Direct3D, Full Screen, resolution which suits you and the rest of options you can experiment with for the best results ( I left all blank, works fine)
9b) on "Executable" tab under "Path to executable" enter "C:\Program Files\Redguard\RG.bat"
9c) on "Audio" tab, "Redbook emulation" should be set to "None" !!!!
9d) on "DOS" tab, under "DOS graphics" check both options (VESA emulation is really important to be enabled here), dont touch other options

10) In Glidos main window click "Start game". Just make sure that Redguard CD 2 is in the CD drive and that drive has either cable connection to the sound card or Digital CD audio enabled (Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager-> CD drive Properties)

11) "... As Redguard starts up, a warning message will appear, mentioning something about Redguard trying to access the hard disk directly... This is nothing to worry about: Press the "Ignore" button and Redguard will continue to start up..."

12) Enjoy Redguard in hi-res with full sound and music on XP

btw TES rules
and big thanks to Glidos author for this wonderful program

Reply 30 of 34, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My problem is an error saying "An application has tried to access the hard drive directly and may cause a problem - ignore or end' either way you cannot continue. So allthe glide, Glidos and whatever is mute for me at the moment! 🙁

Reply 32 of 34, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glidos - thanks for that - got it working about 10 mins ago and then came here and saw your anwer - so thanks a lot! Only slight problem I have is a millisecond 'jump in the music in the movies and simultaneous to that 'jump' I get snowy squares appear on the screen then slowly disappear, sort of comes up the screen like waves on the sand then dissapates. Doesn't happen in game thankfully. I treat it as watching aold scratchy film, but I know there must be a way to not have it, as I have seen You Tube videos that are okay! 😀

Reply 33 of 34, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, don't know what that one is. I have some memory of there being a setting within Redguard for whether to interlace the movies or not. If so, you could try playing with that. Also might be worth seeing if changing Glidos between DirectX and OpenGL makes a difference.