VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sifo-Dyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I have purchased and installed Glidos. I have installed Tomb Raider through a special program that makes installing such a game a lot easier and I have also used VDMSound for my audio. 😐

Everything works fine, yet there is one thing that bugs me. 😕 😠

The FMV (Full Motion Video's) are quite blurred. I remember that the FMV's of Tomb Raider 1 in the old days had horizontal lines across the screen and the images were a lot clearer than they are now. 😕

Can somebody tell me how to adjust/improve/change the looks of the FMV's of the Tomb Raider 1, please?

Thanks!

Bye for now

Reply 1 of 12, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a feature actually. Yet if you prefer the crisp but very pixelated look of yesteryear, go to the Glidos settings (click on button Adjust), look for the tab DOS and uncheck the option Enable Glidos VESA Emulation.

Alternatively, you can use VDos32 instead of NTVDM.

Reply 2 of 12, by Sifo-Dyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's possible that after getting this, I still want the VESA-version, but ...

When I unclick the VESA-option in Glidos, I DO get the crispy looks again (it brought me instantly back to 1996) but my colors are all FUBAR!

Can you inform me as to how I can correct my colors. My best guess is that the game suddenly uses only 16 colors instead of 32 bits-colors.

Please help! 😢

Thanks! 😐

Bye for now

Reply 3 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you uncheck VESA Support, you are back using Window's DOS support. If it messes up the colours, its likely to be a driver problem. Certainly Glidos is not involved at that stage, so there is nothing that Glidos can do to help.

Reply 4 of 12, by Sifo-Dyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. No problem. Is there anything that I can do to make the FMV's clearer because it's almost like watching a LEGA-version of Tomb Raider, you know! 😜

I mean: the horizontal lines are gone and that's a good thing.
But it's gotta be possible to make sure that the FMV's look as good as the rest of the game, no?

Thx!

Bye for now

Reply 5 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not aware of any way to improve them. That is the quality of the information stored in the movie files on the CD.

In any case, there are a just a few shortish FMVs. It is a tiny fraction of the whole game.

Reply 6 of 12, by Sifo-Dyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Thanks! By the way: I am (still) very happy with Glidos. Lara Croft herself told me to thank you for the effort you took in improving one of her greatest adventures. 😉

One last question: is there a way to get the FMV's with the horizontal lines but the colors at good quality. You mentioned that it had something to do with my videocard and not Glidos.

So: what can I do to restore the quality of the colors in the FMV's when I choose for the horizontal lines-view, please?

thx!

Bye for now

Reply 7 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know of anything you can do to improve that mode... but, I've improved the look of the FMVs in Glidos's VESA mode. v1.38 will be out soon, so you can have a look. There is nothing that can be done about the general low quality of the FMVs, but they do look better if smoothed appropriately to their resolution.

Reply 8 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

Alternatively, you can use VDos32 instead of NTVDM.

Wait, does VDos32 work in XP?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 12, by Sifo-Dyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So you're saying that - as soon as the new version of Glidos comes out and I can of course download and install it - that the FMV's will in fact look a little bit better, right?

When can I expect this latest version, please?

Bye for now

Reply 11 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

Yeah. Works fine under XP. There's just less of a need for it with XP.

I see, thanks! I'm gonna try it with Sandwarriors then --I wonder if I could get smoother frame rate.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.